LegacyGT.com

Dronning noise from left front wheel despite bearing change....

SubOperator

Looking for common wizdom help here. Car is 05 LGT, with this front setup:

- Bilstein/Pinks;

- GTSpec ball joint/steering rod lowering kit;

- LCA are fit with WL *offset* bushings and STI front LCA bushings;

- PERRIN adjustable FSB on soft setting;

- Kartboy solid links.

I've been having some drone noise coming from front for quite some time now, and for a while I was pinning it on tires and aggressive alignment setup with offset WL bushings (car handles great). The initial alignment with WL offset bushings was made at the shop with 3D alignment system, and they turned the WL bushings to get to target numbers. This was about 1.5 years ago or so.

Noise was not too bad and was largely lower than my catted DP above 60. Sometime ago though the noise started getting louder and louder first to a point where it was more loud than DP, and finally it became so loud the ride was getting uncomfortable; plus I was getting some buzz at high speeds.

Swapped in my winter set with only one season on the tires. Went to a tire place near my work and got alignment done. Noise was still present. Drove for few days thinking to even out the wear on tires after the alignment and see if the noise goes away. Still there. Went to the shop and asked to recheck, specifically pointing out that LCA bushings are aftermarket ones with offset and may need to be adjusted. They took it out for a ride (guy who took it for check drives an STI btw, we had a chat later on). They put it on the lift after the ride and diagnose left front HBA as noise source.

Got used known to be good HBA from forum member here, installed it yesterday. Got on the road and the noise is still there. I think it may got lower but no doubts it is still there. Most pronounced between 45 and 55 mph, almost disappears when I turn wheels slightly left while driving (those removing load from left wheel), comes on much louder when I do the opposite - turn wheels slightly right thus putting load on left wheel.

Now the car always rides great, does not pull left or right, brakes straight with no pulling left or right. I am on a pretty much new set of tires, alignment is done and rechecked (more in this later), tire pressure is tripple checked. No binding from brakes, and HBA was replaced with known good used part.

And the noise is still there. Coming from left front wheel.

So at this point the only thing I didn't try is going back to the same shop that did the original alignment with offset WL bushings. They are out of my regular driving area so getting to them is a trip in itself. I plan on going to them and checking the left wheel alignment (right one is fine and makes no noise).

Question is - can alignment cause such a loud noise? Could the second shop not get the alignment done correctly as I suspect even being told about the aftermarket bushings? Can it still be replacement HBA even though it was fine when pulled from another car?

any help is greatly appreciated.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

If your hearing a change when you steer left or right you still have a bearing issue. Have someone drive the car and sit in the back seat and make sure it's not a rear wheel bearing. Acoustics are funny in some vehicles, let me know if you want to get together and drive the car this weekend, have some time on Sunday if you need.

Brakes are fine, I checked pads and rotor while changing the HBA. Pads worn evenly, rotor straight, shield is straight, does not touch the rotor. Axle seemed to be fine, no grease coming out, no torn boots....

Paul I have an appt at Redstone tomorrow early in the morning (8AM), may swing by you after or before, let me know what's best for you timewise.

Rear hmm, that may be interesting, I could have sworn noise is coming from front but I have only dealt with handful of cars while you dealt with thousands.

Thanks guys! More info soon...

Well thanks Paul (again) for helping me with this. It sure sounds like a rear driver side bearing when I sit in the passenger seat. I think I had the front one bad too, since I no longer get that weird buzz on steering after I replaced the front bearing.

Had my younger son also confirm that the noise is coming from the back. Made an appointment with Valenti, car is going in on Wednesday. Can't wait to get rid of that horrible drone.

Thanks everyone! We'll see what Wednesday brings...

Got it back from the dealer last night. Rear left bearing was replaced, they OK-d the rear right and front right.

What a difference. I never knew my car could be this quiet. Literally no noise from suspension at any speed. Going full blast at 70-80 the only noise I get is some wind noise and turbo spooling (19 degrees this morning so its fun ;) )

Looking back I think I had both bearings on left side shot. Rear one I suspect had a little noise from as far as I could remember and I always thought its the "normal" mode for Subaru. I replaced the front one myself because that's where I heard the noise was coming from. But as it comes out car acoustic are a funny thing.

Have someone drive the car for you and listen to the noise from front passenger and rear seats. In my case the noise was clearly coming from the back when I was in front passenger seat.

Hope this helps.

Archived