LegacyGT.com

Blast plates for 5mt

gkinslow

I've actually never visited this portion of the forum so guilty as charged.

Is there any harm in wanting to be spoon fed occasionally?

Edit: That link was 3.5 pages of bumps and sales pitches with no reviews that answer my question specifically.

Going beyond stage 2 power level does anyone have any experience to share.

I have a VF-52 with an ELH header and GS TMIC. So according to the internet I for sure have 350 hp (on a high reading dyno + epeen).

Can't speak to anything besides feel. It makes the transmission much more enjoyable to shift. If you read Max Capacity's review of them "makes the 5mt shift very clean and enjoyable" that's basically what I feel.

Caveat - I put in a new clutch when I put the blast plates on. I also installed a couple new shifter bushings (shifter knuckle and Pivot lever). I have been babying it for 2k miles to break in my clutch and only recent started driving on sport mod again.

Plus, no one except drag racers seem to break their transmissions, so I doubt they are "needed". They do make my 5mt feel really nice though. Huge amount of cash ($300 for metal plates when you can get an entire transmission for that really?) for them though, but they did delay my desire for a 6spd.

I traded my third steering wheel for a brand new set and will eventually be putting down >500whp so hopefully these bridge the gap until the inevitable 6 speed swap happens.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk

• I Donated Too
I am running a 5MT with blast plates and somewhere in the power you are going for - the blast plates work as described. I have NO desire to have a 6 speed and I love the 5 speed so I needed to beef up the 5MT so it won't break... it doesn't and I have had a 23 year transmission veteran sing their praises for addressing the weaknesses in the 5MT - If you're going to swap to 6MT then it will definitely get you by but I don't think the word 'inevitable' needs to be a certainty if your 5MT is in good health now and you are adding the blast plates.

I feel like I remember reading that the blast plates decrease the flex of the transmission. But that the flexing motion actually tightens everything up. If you put blast plates in you may lose the benefit of the flexing designn. On the otherhand launching is where the 5mt feels likes its going to explode. If the blast plates allow for launches and drag racing I want them but only if I can install it on the car.

I've been known to shift aggressively at times.

Never been much for launching.

Wasn't planning on including these in my build until they fell into my lap.

From what I read install is very simple but does require the trans to be lowered a bit.

• I Donated Too
If they make such a difference that the 5mt can hold the increased power levels then there won't be a 6mt swap.

Don't mistake the idea that the 6Speed is just a better gearbox and it's what all the cool kids use. It doesn't necessarily follow that it's the only way to go... I prefer the longer gears in the 5MT and a 6MT would not make ME happy and wouldn't improve the car I built but there will be lots of people who would say otherwise - as it stands the 6MT is a stronger gearbox but the hype is greater than it's strength. The 5MT's weakness at the power level I have is addressed, the rest is personal preference.

I BEAT the sh*t out of my 5MT and those blast plates have kept everything just fine. To be fair I beat the hell out of the previous gearbox which was making noise when the car was stock around 90K miles - so I didn't bother doing anyting. I was 300+whp at 95K and since then a whole lot more. At 131K I stripped all the teeth off the 5th gear while changing from 4th to 5th very aggressively doing 120mph. A common result of the gears not meshing together which the plates hold together nicely. The idea that the 'flex' will somehow improve mesh as it happens is ridiculous. Clearances in the gearbox are critical.

The JDM sourced replacement was fitted with blast plates and the aggression has continued... gearbox was opened to replace a snaggy synchro just six weeks ago and the blast plates were lauded for their ability to keep things nicely together on the otherwise 'weak' 5MT - the gearbox was perfect inside apart from the 4th gear syncro I torched and that had nothing to do with the gearbox just me fecking up a shift in a race.

The "inevitable" 6mt swap was always predicated on the thought that I would eventually exceed the power levels the 5mt can safely handle. (even with blast plates)

I wonder what the upper whp limit would be for a 5mt with blast plates.

Yeah but one dyno run is far from a real world test.

I'd love to find someone that was over say 450whp for a significant amount of time with these installed but I guess that's unlikely.

Not a lot of >450whp daily drivers out there, and track results aren't exactly applicable.

• I Donated Too

I like 'em.

If I planned on more power than I do today I might think about the 5MT failing but it would also involve the risk of snapping other stuff like axles and what not.

I don't want to upgrade power anymore... I am very happy with where it's at, it scares the hell out of me to be honest so it doesn't need more and the 5MT is no longer a concern - I believe I am below the 750hp (crank) Moore tested and I believe they really did that but how a single dyno pull really equates to real world use... I do have 15K miles on mine at ~550hp crank. I am working on making my wagon faster now...

• 2 weeks later...
You'll be amazed at how much the 5mt shifts under high power loads with the plates. I love mine every day. The 5mt no longer fights me going into 3rd gear, ever.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 months later...
Has anyone bought the 2SP blast plates from the Ukraine? $150 shipped, so if they are legit it's a great price. I was doing a search on blast plates and came across a thread that mentions the Two Stroke Performance (2SP) plates. I did a separate search (never trust a link...) and Google Translate made a Ukrainian web site readable in English. The pictures look good, and the laser cut logo makes it seem even more legit. That said...coming from the Ukraine makes me nervous. It's the land of hackers, and building a website is their strength.

You get what you pay for in most cases. The Moore blast plates come up from time to time in the classifieds.

That being said $150 isn't too crazy of a gamble.

It's not the $150 blast plates, I'd be worried about. It's putting them on a $4000 transmission.

Is there a Subaru forum in Europe that may have more info on them ? Have you asked over on NASIOC ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived