LegacyGT.com

Stage 1 ACN Burning Smell

When I run the car in stage 1 (cobb) for a bit, drive the car hard and than slow down I get a burning smell in the cabin. Not overly powerful a smell, but it's there.

It's not brakes or rubber. It smells almost plastic like, with a tad oil smell.

I initially thought my engine bay was dirty, so I washed it down but no luck. I've checked for oil leaks and nothing.

I suspect my turbo is getting very hot and throwing off a smell, yet as a closed system that doesn't seem reasonable.

Thoughts?

May be your finally driving the car hard enough to get all the crap burned off the pipes and out of the cylinders.

How often did the engine see redline before ?

Mine see it every few day's. If not a few times a day.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

How many miles? I'm really curious to see what your issue is.

May be your finally driving the car hard enough to get all the crap burned off the pipes and out of the cylinders.

How often did the engine see redline before ?

Mine see it every few day's. If not a few times a day.

Not sure. The x-wife drove it for the first 26K we had the car. Bought at 60k now at 87K. About 1 k ago I cobb'd it. Toasted the stock brakes two weekends ago in the mountain. I'm used to driving a better car. Between cobbing it and the smoking of the brakes the smell has stayed. It's directly linked to teh stage 1. On eco mode I cannot get the car to smell.

Driving it lighter this last week and no smell.

its normal at least it was for my old lgt at stage 2 and both of my buddies wrx. ones a 2006 and the other a 2012 they both get a smell inside after running it hard. if you would drive behind them and they get on it, its only a matter of seconds before that subie smell enters your cab :)

I'm still thinking it's all the crap getting hot.

My wagon doesn't have any smells when I drive it hard, because it's used to it.

Engine saw redline 3 times yesterday on the drive home from work.

Drove it to VT and back over the weekend again, no smells.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

its normal at least it was for my old lgt at stage 2 and both of my buddies wrx. ones a 2006 and the other a 2012 they both get a smell inside after running it hard. if you would drive behind them and they get on it, its only a matter of seconds before that subie smell enters your cab :)

What is the smell coming from though? It's concerning, nothing should be 'burning' while driven.

So what exactly is that smell? Cause I'm smelling it too. lol.

It's only noticeable when you pop the hood or inside the car. The exhaust pipe doesn't smell that way

I'm trying to figure this out. I am almost suspecting something plastic is cheap and not safe for the heat. Debating removing the engine cover. Remember Subaru is a tractor company first.

I'm still thinking it's all the crap getting hot.

My wagon doesn't have any smells when I drive it hard, because it's used to it.

Engine saw redline 3 times yesterday on the drive home from work.

Drove it to VT and back over the weekend again, no smells.

I guess it's important to note 3 redlines wouldn't be considered hard for me.

When I mean hard. I mean sitting above 4K, in and out of boost, high g load (limit of suspension & tires) on some of the twistiest back roads. Heavy braking, and driving it 4-5th/10ths. Cutting the proper line, not just following the road. 2-3 times the posted limit. And before every one gets pissed, if you were out here you'd go 3-5 hours before you saw another car. These are 'those' deserted Southern Nevada roads you see on all the TV shows. On the track in the sports car I'd drive as hard is 8/10ths. So at 4-5/10ths it shouldn't be anywhere near enough 'heat' to cause problems.

Keep in mind I'll have the Honda sitting between 6-8k all day. Not a single smell beyond toasty brakes and rubber.

All of my Subarus smell like that, lol. Hell even my '80 Brat smells like that.

I thought that was a factory option - the "I had fun with you Subie" smell.

If there is nothing to worry about, I'm fine with it. However I suspect something is burning or a grease is underspec'd for temps. Both would be bad.

FWIW, neither of my cars have the engine cover.

So it sounds like you know your way around the car. If you've checked it over and under and don't see anything that looks like its burning. Just drive it.

FWIW, I was just as concerned as you and very skeptical of the "subie smell", thinking cars shouldn't smell like they're burning regardless. However, I ran my car reasonably hard (no red lines but heavy load accel, corner g's and braking) two days ago on a long drive home and whaduyaknow....the burning smell is gone. I can't explain it but it is no more. maybe these guys are right. I have to do IM gaskets and an oil change this Saturday so I'll let you know if I come across anything suspicious.

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

• 1 month later...
FWIW, I was just as concerned as you and very skeptical of the "subie smell", thinking cars shouldn't smell like they're burning regardless. However, I ran my car reasonably hard (no red lines but heavy load accel, corner g's and braking) two days ago on a long drive home and whaduyaknow....the burning smell is gone. I can't explain it but it is no more. maybe these guys are right. I have to do IM gaskets and an oil change this Saturday so I'll let you know if I come across anything suspicious.

Did you come across anything?

Archived