LegacyGT.com

Driving without one of the wheel nuts?

Few months ago I had a leak in my tire and drove it to the nearest repair shop to get it patched. The mechanic there told me one of the lug nuts (or maybe the bolt) on my rims was broken and he couldn't reattach it. It was going to cost $85 and a bit of time (they were busy) for them to take the entire tire off and refit it. So I said no thanks.

I just remembered, now, months later, that I still have that one nut laying around in my car somewhere, and it never actually got fixed. I know it's probably a silly question, but there's no harm on that, right? I think there's 4 others still holding the tire on. :lol:

Thanks. That's what I had been assuming, but you never know it makes the whole tire structurally unsound or something.

mw: I don't think that's very likely to happen.

You're right... that kind of failure is unheard of...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/5-sheared-studs-and-wheel-falls-off-141388.html?t=141388&highlight=wheel+broke

and this one can happen due to uneven torquing of the lug nuts...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/broke-21525.html?t=21525&highlight=rim+failure

If 4 was adequate, then it wouldn't come with 5.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

That's a bit more worrying. Either way, the earliest I can check it out is the week following March 9th, so I have to drive on it a bit longer.

I inspected it a bit today (comparing the missing one to the other tires) and there doesn't seem to be anything remotely different.

Yeah I had this happen too. Thankfully the girlfriend was alright (she was driving at the time).

Had 4 lugs on. Doing 60+ mph on the freeway and all the other bolts just sheered right off. Thankfully the wheel rode on the rotor all the way to a stop. Unreal.

Archived