LegacyGT.com

looking for performance for 97 legacy

im looking to spend about 700 bucks dropping some performance into my subie. now i cant find any websites with performance air intake, TB(unless 90MM is), coil pack, spark plugs n wires, exhaust, and the hybrid air intake. now would a CAI with hybrid be even better? maybe even a 2nd inlet for ram air to hook into the hood scoop if i cut it out?any thoughts?

Suspension! Seriously. Good tires, brakes. I think getting everything else covered before power is better, and you will probably enjoy it more than if it was stock everywhere else but had more power.

However if you have this covered, or you just want more power, maybe save up a little more and diy low-boost turbo with stock stuff from a wrx or sti. Actually won't cost as much as you think if you use some stock stuff.

• I Donated

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated

Anything listed on that thread will fit your car. For the most part 95-99 Legacys are pretty much the same (with some minor wiring differences). There are also parts for other Subaru models that fit 95 - 99 Legacys.

What parts specifically are you looking for?

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Weapon-R has the Dragon or the Secret Weapon intake. They are the same except the Secret Weapon includes extra tubing to run the intake into your fender for a "Ram Air" effect. Me and another Legacy owner around here have them and are happy. Although I hit a lot of gravel, and have to keep an eye on how dirty my air filter gets.

MSD's coilpack does work, I have it in my car. Not sure which car it was intended for as it came on the car when I bought it.

There are headers for our cars that can be had for pretty cheap.

Perrin's lightweight pulley is also a nice addition.

A lot of parts for the WRX will work with our cars, which probably explains why you are finding links that aren't listed as for our model.

Personally, if I were you the first thing I would do is invest in new spark plugs, oil/oil filter, bushings for the suspension, brake pads and rotors, diff and trans fluids refreshed, etc. You'd be surprised how much difference in power the car has when the basic maintenance items have been addressed. Honestly, nothing really made my car as fast as getting an exhaust leak fixed and my trans and diff fluids refreshed.

I have been lurking here for a long time lots of good info. I registered today just to post here. I have been looking at the Faq for upgrades and lots of links are dead gone

Et cetera. I want to order a header next week along with coil pack wires high flow cat and tubing and a CAI. the link for the cold air is dead any recommendations on something not 200 plus if not I may buy a hole saw and PVC not attractive but it is effective. The header that is linked here is out of stock and getting a response from that company seems impossible, I really like the price but am gun shy to buy something similarly priced with out reviews or recommendations. The other oddity I found is that the MSD coil on Jeg's has a part number of 8239 while in other posts on this forum part number 8237 is required is there any clarification on this? I also like the Nology Hot-wires because of their grounding capability but a at 200 dollars I am not sure, any cost alternatives that are known here?

Edit: mine is a 97 gt sedan

Weapon-R has the Dragon or the Secret Weapon intake. They are the same except the Secret Weapon includes extra tubing to run the intake into your fender for a "Ram Air" effect. Me and another Legacy owner around here have them and are happy. Although I hit a lot of gravel, and have to keep an eye on how dirty my air filter gets.

MSD's coilpack does work, I have it in my car. Not sure which car it was intended for as it came on the car when I bought it.

There are headers for our cars that can be had for pretty cheap.

Perrin's lightweight pulley is also a nice addition.

A lot of parts for the WRX will work with our cars, which probably explains why you are finding links that aren't listed as for our model.

Personally, if I were you the first thing I would do is invest in new spark plugs, oil/oil filter, bushings for the suspension, brake pads and rotors, diff and trans fluids refreshed, etc. You'd be surprised how much difference in power the car has when the basic maintenance items have been addressed. Honestly, nothing really made my car as fast as getting an exhaust leak fixed and my trans and diff fluids refreshed.

Headers are easy to come by ONLY if you have dual port heads. So he has a 97. Is it a GT or an L? If it's an L good luck, I got some headers that were specially made. Paid $310.

And power in these are almost non existant. At least the 2.2. Biggest upgrade would be cams and a full exhaust with a proper intake. And of course maintaince ;)

I also like the Nology Hot-wires

Read this: http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/truth.htm

Its everything you need to know about car ignition systems. Basically, I would stay away from the Nology wires. I had looked into them a long time ago and they just are not worth the money, to me.

And power in these are almost non existant.

You should drive a VW diesel Beetle... my 2.2 Brighton feels like a fun, peppy sports car after driving that for a while. :lol:

Headers are easy to come by ONLY if you have dual port heads. So he has a 97. Is it a GT or an L? If it's an L good luck, I got some headers that were specially made. Paid $310.

And power in these are almost non existant. At least the 2.2. Biggest upgrade would be cams and a full exhaust with a proper intake. And of course maintaince ;)

i have a 97 legacy Gt, now im still fixing its issues with the stuttering above 3krpm but while it needs a coil and wires and plugs i would like some performance ones. MSD of some work. the MSD coil i was shown the description said it was for a mitsubishi and neon. im still concerned if it is really compatable with my car.

i have a 97 legacy Gt, now im still fixing its issues with the stuttering above 3krpm but while it needs a coil and wires and plugs i would like some performance ones. MSD of some work. the MSD coil i was shown the description said it was for a mitsubishi and neon. im still concerned if it is really compatable with my car.

If I were you, I would look for something made by NGK if you can. Avoid the MSD wires. I need to replace mine sometime because they form a crappy seal at the MSD coilpack, and two friends of mine have shocked themselves when placing their hand near the coilpack.

Archived