LegacyGT.com

Green light ECU question?

Hello im new to this forum and Im not sure if my question is appropriate to post here.

I have a first generation 2.2L Legacy and was wondering what does the green light that is located on my ECM mean?

When I turn the ignition on it blinks then goes away. Im thinking that this is a normal condition that I havn't noticed before. My car won't start and Im trying to rule out possible causes.

What green light exactly ? I have a POWER light that comes on intially and goes off. If it blinks it could indicate a transmission issue, but that is only after you follow the procedure for checking tcu codes. I would start by checking the tcu (transmission control unit) for codes by following the link posted below.

Does your car turn over but not start? Have you checked the ground to your starter or your fuel pump?

ecu trouble codes: http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/engine.html

tcu trouble codes: http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/trans.html

Hello;

Can I ask a stupid question? Why do you have the ECU pulled? This would be the last thing I would pull, and for it to work properly needs to be grounded to the body. Has your CEL light on the dash indicated a fault? Have you run the fault codes from memory? How about the timing belt? How's that fuel pressure and or fuel pump? A little more information goes a long way, Steven.

You'll love this...it turns out that I had a wire unplugged at the starter. In my efforts of trouble shooting I noticed the green light on the ECU would turn on and blink when I turned the ignition on.....why you ask how I could see my green light on the ecu? That's because I have pulled a Subie 2.2l engine and wiring and have placed it in my 1972 vw squareback.

Thank you all for the help and insight. My car is running...not perfect...yet....I still have to work out the sticky throttle cable issue but other than that she runs!!

Great to hear! I had a '73 VW Fastback as my first car. I had to park it for a while when I found a stream of gasoline shooting out of a gasket and forming a large puddle of fuel on the block. That was after a 20 hour drive. I could smell gas for the few hours, ha ha. My dad gave away when I was out of town shortly thereafter without asking me! I was pissed, lol.

Wow frank_ster must have one understanding wife! I had no idea that people were doing this to subies! I'll tell you what though...I'm going to stick my little 2.2l and be happy....for now. That's too bad about your dad giving away your type 3 fastback. I got tired of messing with carburetors and decided to do this swap. So far so good. Just need to figure out a sticky throttle cable issue

Hello;

I have worked on the old style beetles and make sure that the solid cable is well greased with white lithium. Also these had two return springs, one being fairly stout. I would try adding another spring being that the one on the throttle body is not enough for a return. Steven.

Archived