Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tuning (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Putting together a list for stage 2, does this sound about right? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199027)

bucko3the7man 01-03-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laff79 (Post 4228804)
Yup. Numerous guys have used the GM piece. My buddy Josh (ChefRacer) uses one with no probs. Hit him up via pm.

Sorry, I forgot to mention "catless" in my DP suggestion. Nice catch

Looking around, it looks like buying catless and welding in a high flow cat with the CNT downpipes at least is about the same amount of money.

laff79 01-03-2013 08:29 AM

cats are overrated. you get used to the smell :lol:

bucko3the7man 01-03-2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laff79 (Post 4228835)
cats are overrated. you get used to the smell :lol:

STX class in autocross, need the cats :lol:

Nrw 01-04-2013 10:58 AM

Just saw this..

CNT can be hit or miss. I wanted the cat out of the engine bay and a nicer looking piece so I went Cobb, only other option I'm aware of that puts the cat out of the engine bay is the Turboxs.

A dw65c helps and is easy to install. Is it necessary at this level no. I have seen a few oem ones that were on their way out.

BPV, I recommend it at stage 2. As I've seen low mileage 08+ WRX leak (same as ours) at stage1 levels. Will you feel it while driving? Maybe depends how bad. If you check CT08's build thread you can see where his is bleeding off boost.

The grimmspeed EBCS works great and helps shape the boost curve. Again not needed but a nice add on.

bucko3the7man 01-04-2013 11:16 AM

Cat out of the engine bay does sound good. Any issues with buying a used catted downpipe that anyone can think of? Any particular mileage I should use as a cutoff?

Nrw 01-04-2013 11:17 AM

Mine was used for all of 5k miles. I cleaned it up and it was good to go.

BarManBean 01-04-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucko3the7man (Post 4230567)
Cat out of the engine bay does sound good. Any issues with buying a used catted downpipe that anyone can think of? Any particular mileage I should use as a cutoff?

Visually inspect the cat--if it looks like it's in good shape I think you should be fine.

JJr 01-06-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucko3the7man (Post 4230567)

I'm going stage2 with my DD shortly with a catted CNT (bought here, lightly used. 2 years ago CNT used to be ERZ, great reviews and many very knowledgeable members use and recommend them ) saved enough money on it to get it ceramic coated to 1800dg, why get used to fumes if you don't need to, go catted. I will also BP my FMIC (thx BarManBean) as soon as I have the cash. GL I understand your concerns!! lol

bucko3the7man 01-06-2013 03:54 PM

I'm definitely going catted. I compete in Stx class for autocross so I need the cat still

bucko3the7man 01-07-2013 03:42 PM

Looks like a new turbo xs is the same price as a used Cobb. Anyone chime in to sway me one way or the other?

Nrw 01-07-2013 03:48 PM

Both are good quality pieces. Only downside to the turboxs I can think of is that it's 2piece IIRC which is just another area a leak could appear.

But that's not something that would scare me off from it.

bucko3the7man 01-07-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nrw (Post 4234800)
Both are good quality pieces. Only downside to the turboxs I can think of is that it's 2piece IIRC which is just another area a leak could appear.

But that's not something that would scare me off from it.

It is a two piece, but nothing some exhaust gasket sealant can't fix. Research will continue.

Nrw 01-07-2013 03:55 PM

Yea like I said, nothing that would sway me one way or the other.

.:Catalyst:. 01-07-2013 04:01 PM

I like my TXS and you can also switch between catted/catless easily with the race pipe section. No leaks with mine. I just use a normal 3" Grimmspeed exhaust gasket at the break between sections (then a GS to OEM Mid adapter and donut gasket).

If Grimmspeed does release their new DP for us like they did the earlier WRX/STi guys, I'll have a TXS up for sale :D

bucko3the7man 01-07-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .:Catalyst:. (Post 4234836)
I like my TXS and you can also switch between catted/catless easily with the race pipe section. No leaks with mine. I just use a normal 3" Grimmspeed exhaust gasket at the break between sections (then a GS to OEM Mid adapter and donut gasket).

If Grimmspeed does release their new DP for us like they did the earlier WRX/STi guys, I'll have a TXS up for sale :D

Good to know. I have the q300 and I think it's a 3" at the joint to the dp, so I don't think I need the adapter, but keep me in the loop if you decide to sell