LegacyGT.com

Rota Grid 18.8.5 Tire Suggestion

kjphoto518

Hi,

I'm looking for suggestions for tire sizes for 18x8.5 Rota Grids. I'd like to have a decent sidewall. The car has stock suspension. I don't really want to roll the fenders. I'd like the tire to stretch a little bit but not too far. Just asking so I don't get something that will rub. Car is a 05 LGT.

Thanks for any suggestions.

• I Donated Too
Hi,

I'm looking for suggestions for tire sizes for 18x8. Rota Grids. I'd like to have a decent sidewall. The car has stock suspension. I don't really want to roll the fenders. I'd like the tire to stretch a little bit but not too far. Just asking so I don't get something that will rub. Car is a 05 LGT.

Thanks for any suggestions.

someone had the +48 grids with 245s, slightly lowered, fenders untouched

but it doesn't make any sense to put 245s on a 8 inch wide wheel where the tires are oversized for the width of the wheel

Just saw a typo. I meant 18x8.5 rims.

I agree with DM. 225/40/18 will be your best bet. I know you said your on the stock suspension now... But I would put money on it that you're going to want to lower it. Even if its just a little. The 225 will give you a little more breathing room in case you wanna go even lower because you said you want it a little stretched. Especially if you don't wanna roll the fenders. Btw. 18x 8.5 with a 225 is what I wish I had. It's the right choice

I agree with DM. 225/40/18 will be your best bet. I know you said your on the stock suspension now... But I would put money on it that you're going to want to lower it. Even if its just a little. The 225 will give you a little more breathing room in case you wanna go even lower because you said you want it a little stretched. Especially if you don't wanna roll the fenders. Btw. 18x 8.5 with a 225 is what I wish I had. It's the right choice

Awesome. thanks for the advice. Do you know how that tire would do as a daily driving tire on not the best roads. I live right near NYC so our roads arn't the best. Thanks.

If you like the stretched look, the 225 will be fine. I personally prefer the 245/40 tires on my 18x8.5 wheels. Very minimal stretch, looks just right IMO. In my experience, you'd need to roll the rear fenders at stock height to avoid rubbing with the 245/40 with rear seat passengers.
MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

Awesome. thanks for the advice. Do you know how that tire would do as a daily driving tire on not the best roads. I live right near NYC so our roads arn't the best. Thanks.

Well, I've seen on the forums that the 225/40/18 is the most common tire for that size wheel as well. However if you want to get into specific ride quality then you gotta start looking at different brands to find out which one has the least amount of road noise, which one has the best comfort .... Etc. I'll just say that you definitely get what you pay for. Just remember, when you really think about it: your ride quality is going to drop ... Because you're going from a 45 sidewall to a low pro 40 side wall that's slightly stretched. If comfort is a big deal to you and you know you're not gonna drop the car. Then do a 235 or 245 which is a little wider but gives you more comfort. HOWEVER a lot of individuals don't think that much meat between a the 18's and the road look good. I personally would sacrifice a little bit of comfort instead of sacrificing the appearance of the car.

Ok. Thanks for the advice. I might go with a 235 then.

I did 225 and they are a bit too strectched for my tastes. But I am starting to like them.

225/40/R18 on 8.5 ET48

I will be going at least a 235 on the next set.....

225's have a mild stretched look bit they're still within the realm of a normal size for that wheel. Also there are far more options than a 235/35. The 40 sidewall will ride better and be a cheaper tire as well.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/09/upuhy8uv.jpg

^^ this is a 18x8.5 et48 w/ 224/40's General G-Max A/S tires. I would say it barely has a stretched look.

Archived