LegacyGT.com

Sticking caliper

nalol

The front driver's side caliper on my 07 2.5i started sticking a few months ago. I took my car to a mechanic who told me that my calipers and rotors needed to be replaced, so I had them replaced. It seemed to help for a while, but I still get times where my steering wheel will shake around 60 mph and I get out and can smell and feel heat coming from the front drivers caliper. Is this a common problem for these cars? What other parts could be causing this?

Take the car back to the guy that fixed and tell him. That is not normal.

Had a Honda Civic that did that once, another caliper fixed it.

FWIW read the DIY brake thread here today. These are easy brakes to work on.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/brake-pad-replacement-walkthroughi-133449.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Take the car back to the guy that fixed and tell him. That is not normal.

Had a Honda Civic that did that once, another caliper fixed it.

FWIW read the DIY brake thread here today. These are easy brakes to work on.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/brake-pad-replacement-walkthroughi-133449.html

Thanks for the feedback. Do you think it could be a bad brake line or something like that? I'm just trying to think of any other parts that could cause it to stick

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah, that is a bad brake caliper. Make the mechanic fix his work. I was told Subaru calipers use a poor metal composition and they rust in a ring pattern. This happened on three of my four. I replaced them all with an O'Reilly's lifetime caliper and no probs since. I took one apart and yes, the chrome does suck as it was quite rusty and wouldn't allow the caliper piston to fetract. Dumb metallurgy decision.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I checked out the sliders and they looked fine, I added more lubricant but it didn't seem to help. I think I'm just going to have another caliper put on because I believe it's still under warranty.

I'll definitely look into the hose. I could compress the piston by hand but it took A LOT of force, I'm guessing that's to be expected considering there's a special tool that's meant for compressing the piston. I don't really know though, I've never tried compressing a functional caliper lol.

• 2 weeks later...
My '05 had the same problem. I'm wondering if it's a common issue on the 4th gens. Definitely was a faulty caliper for me. I had mine completely out and disconnected and couldn't compress it with my caliper tool. The first replacement did the same thing, too. I'm on my second replacement now so we'll see if it happens again.

• 2 weeks later...

Have similar problem. Its lower piston on the driver's side that is sticking and making my whole front vibrate like crazy. Don't want it to destroy my almost new GTSpec rods and balljoints.

After reading about reman calipers decided to rebuild my stock units. New pistons/seals/sliding pins.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

• 4 weeks later...

I replaced my 2 front OEM calipers at about 100k miles about 2 years ago.. the Pistons looked like they were going to corrode and fall apart, but we're functionally fine. So I bought 2 remanufactured ones from rockauto.com, painted them nice and installed. 1 failed within a year, stuck piston, replaced with another cardone remanufactured... This past week the other one went, same issue with a stuck piston. Replaced with another cardone rebuild.

I would rebuild my stockers with OEM parts but it's almost as expensive as buying new OEMs. If these 2 fail I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Rebuilding calipers is more work, but the remanufactured units don't seem to hold up well. I've had good results with Sil-Glyde on the sliding pins and CRC Disc Brake Quiet (pink goop) between shims and pads. Change brake fluid every 24 or 36 months with synthetic DOT 4 such as Valvolene DOT 4.

Update for anyone interested- I ended up getting a new caliper put on under warranty about a month ago and it's working as it should, still think it's early to say though because the last one worked for a few months before it started sticking again. Thanks again everyone!

Archived