LegacyGT.com

Tomioka vs Venair TB Hose

Adam393

I haven't found any useful info on these two TB hoses. I have an IPR TMIC that is shit, and the AVO TB hose fits like garbage on it. Yes, I know, I should get a different TMIC, but I'm not looking to dump hundreds more into the car to fix my stupid mistake. I never want to touch the engine because as soon as I take off the TMIC, its the thing of nightmares to put it back on. The AVO hose doesn't fit right and is almost impossible to slip on because the hose diameter is borderline too narrow and the angle just isn't right. I'm trying to find out if anyone else has experience with the Tomioka or Venair to see if its a better hose/any different than the AVO one. I'd like to buy either if its a larger diameter and different angle, in hopes that I will no longer dread taking off the TMIC or just taking it to a mechanic....

I bought it when they were new on the market, so it wasnt known that fitment was terrible, and my OEM one split apart. My fitment issue comes from the TB hose, so Im trying to find out if there are any differences between the hoses.

No one seems to really be able to sell their IPR in the marketplace, so I dont want to have to go down that route if I can avoid it

I'm not sure if they are different sizes. Some companies don't actually make their own parts. Instead, they have someone else make it for them with their logo on it. So what you may find is the exact same part from the same factory.

Your best bet is to ditch that tmic if you can't get it to work.

I have no control over drippie.

I appreciate you offer, but my OEM never stayed on with the IPR.

I feel like my biggest issue with the AVO is that its just too damn tight. If it was just ever so slightly wider, then I think it would be easier to orient everything properly because then it would spin easier

I have heard good things about the Tomioka, there is a thread about it on here.

I sent my AVO hose back for the same reason, ID to small. I have a stock TB hose and mine works fine to the IPR tmic.

Just make sure you put the top off to the passenger side a little bit and tighten the snot out of the clamp, I also left the hose about a 1/4 short of being fully seated on the TB.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 1 month later...
I'm having some issues with my car, so there are a few things that are going to be inspected, changed, etc. in the next week or two. Since the TMIC is going to be off to inspect the clutch hydraulics, I said f-it and bought the Tomioka. I will post up my findings on the fitment vs the AVO when it goes in...

• 2 weeks later...

http://imageshack.us/a/img824/9489/photo1lwc.jpg

My mechanic buddy swapped the hose out today while doing some other stuff under the hood. The Tomioka didnt really seem like the stock shape, but was still slightly different from the AVO. It also had a bit more length to it. But the most important thing was that it had a slightly larger inner diameter than the AVO. It slid on the TB with no issues and went on the IC with very little issue. Overall the TMIC now goes on and off pretty painlessly and I dont consider it to be a bitch anymore to fit. I would recommend the Tomioka hose over the AVO one to everyone (unless you have an AVO TMIC, I guess...)

There is a lot of inconsistency in the AVO hoses. They are almost all different lengths.

We worked with Venair pre-production on their post MAF and TB hose. Much higher quality silicone products and OEM fitment.

Tomiaka is making copies of eBay products at this point. Their turbo inlet tube (for instance) is an XO2, Gimmick knock off. Does not have the kick at the end to get around the TGV's just like the eBay stuff. I am highly unimpressed with most Tomiaka products at this point. We have even had damaged turbos delivered by them (new in the box) and then encounter difficulties in trying to get replacements.

I have pix of the inlet tubes side by side too.

Completely understood.

I have used and sold Venair products for several years now. I really like the quality. That is why when they called about going forward with LGT products I jumped in head first.

Now I have them working on LGT radiator hoses and turbo inlet pipes. Next is possibly an LGT ancillary hose kit.

If nothing else, at least a few more companies are still willing to produce new products for a car out of production for 4 model years now.

I certainly hope you guys make the definitive inlet pipe, instead of the others that seem to barely pass as acceptable (and maybe even one that can go on without removing the manifold!) I know I'll be in the market for one when I swap to the BNR 16 in the next year or two...

Archived