LegacyGT.com

Replacing AC condenser

Has anyone here had experience doing this? The PO looks like they've hit a towbar so amongst the bumper being replaced and the two fendors also being replaced the condenser is in a v shape (how it doesn't leak is beyond me)

I have ordered a spare i'm picking up on Monday, already have arranged to get system filled and charged.

Would I need to move the radiator back to get to the condenser and are there any seals I need to replace on it? Will any damage be done if I run the car (with AC off obviously) to the compressor or any other ac components without filling the condenser?

98 GTB BG5

• I Donated

When you do it you will have to completely evac the AC system. Its not a really hard job, but the radiator will have to be moved out of the way.

As far as seals, there are a few rubber o rings that I will usually replace when doing condensers as a safe measure, but sometimes you can get away without replacing them.

You will be able to run the car without freon in it. It won't hurt anything. Your AC just won't work

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

If the shop doing the evac / refill is not willing to evac over night you will want to replace the receiver/dryer as well. Humidity plus freon = acid that will corrode your system from the inside out. The receiver dryer has a desiccant to absorb any moisture that gets in the system from opening it up.

You might get away without it if you are able to change the condenser rapidly.

A good shop should be set up to recover the freon in the system before you take it apart. The recovery machine should be setup to recover and measure your freon and any oil that comes out with the freon. When you refill the system you put the same amount back in. you will get pretty much all the freon out, but not all the oil.

You might ask if they will recover your freon and oil at the end of the day. Then you go home and swap out the condenser and maybe receiver/dryer. Head back to the shop first thing in the morning for them to evacuate the system and refill with your freon and oil. That way you should not have to pay for any freon or oil.

Archived