LegacyGT.com

Rear wiper puzzler

Arcteryx

So I bought my 2006 LGT wagon used, and one of the things that didn't work was the rear wiper. The seller didn't get around to fixing it, but had verified that the connector was getting power, so it seemed to be a straightforward issue of replacing the motor.

So I got a replacement rear wiper motor, verified (again) that the connector was getting power, and . . . nothing. I can't figure out what else it could be. I'm getting 12V across the yellow/green wire and ground when the switch is on. I even tested the old motor and it works when I apply 12V to it directly.

I've done every troubleshooting step in the FSM except for testing the BIU, but I don't have the tools to do that, and that shouldn't be the problem if the motor is getting power, right?

Open up hatch and look between the Hatch and roof of car there is a Black Boot on the left side. Pull it down and take a look at the wires make sure none of them are freyed or broken. I had this happen to me last yea. Fixed wires and now it's fine.

Open up hatch and look between the Hatch and roof of car there is a Black Boot on the left side. Pull it down and take a look at the wires make sure none of them are freyed or broken. I had this happen to me last yea. Fixed wires and now it's fine.

Did you test whether you were you getting voltage to the motor before you fixed the wires?

I would usually but I know what the problem was because 2 months before it happened someone stumbled upon the common problem with our wagons and the boot. Both my boots had cut wires in it. Actually I'm sorry I think the wires are in the Passengers side boot. The Radio wires run in the drivers side boot. I had such a bad radio signal all because of a cut wire fixed it and then fixed any wires in my passengers boot for the Wiper since it would go full turn then full turn to half turn and stick there.

Yep, common problem with the wagons.

I had my buddies body shop fix 5 broken wire for $120. 4X cheaper then the dealer wanted to replace the harness.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

So I bought my 2006 LGT wagon used, and one of the things that didn't work was the rear wiper. The seller didn't get around to fixing it, but had verified that the connector was getting power, so it seemed to be a straightforward issue of replacing the motor.

So I got a replacement rear wiper motor, verified (again) that the connector was getting power, and . . . nothing. I can't figure out what else it could be. I'm getting 12V across the yellow/green wire and ground when the switch is on. I even tested the old motor and it works when I apply 12V to it directly.

I've done every troubleshooting step in the FSM except for testing the BIU, but I don't have the tools to do that, and that shouldn't be the problem if the motor is getting power, right?

If the connector is getting power, then it's most likely a broken wire in the boot. The BIU is fine.

Pull the boot and check.

IF the wires are OK in the boot, then unplug one of the wires to the motor and measure current draw while the switch is on.

If you JUST hook the motor up to the connector, does it run? If you have only tried with the motor installed, there could be something binding or misaligned.

Your username. Do you work with them?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

If the connector is getting power, then it's most likely a broken wire in the boot. The BIU is fine.

Pull the boot and check.

IF the wires are OK in the boot, then unplug one of the wires to the motor and measure current draw while the switch is on.

If you JUST hook the motor up to the connector, does it run? If you have only tried with the motor installed, there could be something binding or misaligned.

Thanks for the tips - maybe I'll try that this weekend. Pretty sure it's not an issue of binding or misalignment; there's no visible corrosion or other evidence that that's the case.

Your username. Do you work with them?

No, just a huge fan of their products. :)

Archived