LegacyGT.com

Car won't start

I did my research before making this thread. My situation is a little bit different.

When I try to fire up the car, the relays will click but car won't crank. Just the clicking noise and nothing.

Here is briefly what happened; the original cluster's rpm gauge was broken. So I bought a new cluster from a junk yard. Mileage was lower than my car. So I took it to a guy to adjust the odometer to original.

I installed the new cluster, showing correct mileage. Car fired up and ran. I shut off the car.

I wanted to put the original cluster to take a pic of it. Being lazy, I didn't fully tightened the negative terminal on the battery. Went a head and tried to fire it up and it did the clicking and power cut off.

(This happened to me before, taking the negative terminal out and re connecting fixed the problem before)

I thought same thing happened before and I reinstalled the neg. terminal, fully tightened. Went into cabin and tried starting. It only does the clicking. Starter won't kick in.

I checked all the fuses. Non blown. I didn't touch any crank, cam sensors.

Thought maybe the ecu got bricked by swapping clusters but I can connect to the ecu with romraider and learning view. There is no DTC codes.

I pulled the brown starter/ignition relay. Going to check if it is same with the sti and try it on.

Meanwhile I thought I would ask for suggestions here.

Thanks...

Try manually jumping out the starter yet? maybe just coincidence that starter went out?

manual trans, try pop starting it??

Good guess !!! Thank you.

I tested the solenoid and it was receiving around 12v when key is turned and from there it was obvious starter crapped out.

Found a 2001 automatic forester starter laying in the garage. Different part numbers but I still put it on. Car fired up.

Now I have all these codes and cruise flashing :spin:

I am hoping these are just stored codes from the cluster I bought. Resetting the ecu now. Fingers crossed.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f42/3xtr3m3/th_photo-7.jpg

Archived