LegacyGT.com

New R&T Evo X vs STI Article

chenc544

Very interesting results compare to what other tests have shown. Basically the Evo X is faster in just about every test. :confused: I wonder if Mitsu sent in a ringer.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=2&article_id=6387

Here is the Road and Track chart comparing the two.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/download/0308_cover_mitsuVwrx_chart.pdf

Here is Motor Trend's test result for comparison.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_0803_subaru_wrx_sti_vs_mitsubishi_evolution_x/index.html

I know there are a lot of Best Motoring videos out there but those are JDM models for both cars. So I guess these 2 tests are much better indication for the USDM models.

I just think its too close to call between the two cars in performance.

Some reviews(Edmunds) have the USDM STI faster in a striaght line then the two versions of EVO X and then some have it the other way around.

When you get cars that are so evenly matched, most of the time it comes down to the driver behind the wheel.

I remember a C&D feature where there managed to lap a stock Ford Mustang Cobra faster around the streets of willow then the much lighter and similarly powered Porsche 911 turbo.

STI is gonna be an epic fail in Canada. While I was at the dealership today the cover of the Toronto Star had the evolution on it. I told them they should hide it :p

All the fanboys are gonna buy the EVO here, and theres a LOT of them. The grass was always greener in terms of EVO's, and know we have them.

When you watch the video, the driver looks so much more composed and relaxed behind the wheel of the EVO. He seems to have to fight the STI a bit more.

Probably, has to more with the fact that he actually has to shift in the STI. HE looked really uncomfortable having to do more then one thing at a time..... He wasn't rev matching on his downshifts either......

Makes me wonder about the proficiency about the driver from Road & Track. They were able to get significantly faster lap times at the Streets of Willow with SST transmission compared to the 5MT in the EVO X.

While, Best motoring drivers(which mostly come from professional race driver ranks) were able to be much faster in the 5MT EVO X at Tsubka.

Maybe if the STI came with an automatic, R&T would have got a better lap times:lol:

STI is gonna be an epic fail in Canada. While I was at the dealership today the cover of the Toronto Star had the evolution on it. I told them they should hide it :p

All the fanboys are gonna buy the EVO here, and theres a LOT of them. The grass was always greener in terms of EVO's, and know we have them.

I can't wait to come across one of the new STi's, or EVO's on the highway :lol:

While, Best motoring drivers(which mostly come from professional race driver ranks) were able to be much faster in the 5MT EVO X at Tsubka.

The laps are done by Roger Yasukawa, an IndyCar driver. The guy in the video is a R&T editor not the guy that acutally did the lap.

As I said, the Best Motoring are showing JDM models and they are different than the USDM model. From reading the article and watching the video I wonder if the USDM STI has softer suspensions than their JDM counterpart.

The laps are done by Roger Yasukawa, an IndyCar driver. The guy in the video is a R&T editor not the guy that acutally did the lap.

As I said, the Best Motoring are showing JDM models and they are different than the USDM model. From reading the article and watching the video I wonder if the USDM STI has softer suspensions than their JDM counterpart.

Well, that still doesn't explain why the SST equipped EVO went much faster around the 5MT EVO X. The differences between the USDM and JDM EVO X models are minimal.

So, what exactly is accounting for the large discrepencies between japanese/euro reviews and american reviews between the SST and 5MT EVO X?

Roger Yasukawa?

Wasn't he the token pseudo japanese driver that Super Auguri ran in IRL 5 years ago?

He's more like a moving chicane rather then a race car driver. Pay drivers FTL!

Well, that still doesn't explain why the SST equipped EVO went much faster around the 5MT EVO X. The differences between the USDM and JDM EVO X models are minimal.

Actually the JDM Evo is ~200 lbs lighter than the USDM version.

So, what exactly is accounting for the large discrepencies between japanese/euro reviews and american reviews between the SST and 5MT EVO X?

Don't know. Maybe the japanese/euro reviews were done with earlier production or pre-production version? While the recent tests of USDM versions are more sorted version? I know the SST of the pre-production version had some issues. Regardless, Edmunds also has the USDM MR faster than the GSR at Willow Springs so there must be something to it.

Roger Yasukawa?

Wasn't he the token pseudo japanese driver that Super Auguri ran in IRL 5 years ago?

I don't follow IndyCar so no idea who he is. Simply pointing out that the driver is not the guy in the video and the lap time is done by a professional driver. Regardless how well he did in IndyCar he is obviously good enough to make it, which is more than can be say of 99% of drivers out there.

Pay drivers FTL!

Huh? The definition of a "professional" driver is that they are good enough to get pay to drive.

I don't follow IndyCar so no idea who he is. Simply pointing out that the driver is not the guy in the video and the lap time is done by a professional driver. Regardless how well he did in IndyCar he is obviously good enough to make it, which is more than can be say of 99% of drivers out there.

Huh? The definition of a "professional" driver is that they are good enough to get pay to drive.

Calling Roger a professional race car driver is a bit of a stretch. I think he drove one full season of IRL and even that was because his sponsors payed for him to be there. Also, team Super Aguri has a penchant for hiring Japanese drivers even if they are absolutely terrible.

If he was that good of a driver. He would have had one full season where the team owner actually payed for him to drive the car. Instead of relying on his personal advertisers to pay for salary and the priviledge to sit in a Super Aguri.

As far as the USDM STI vs EVO is concerned. We'll see what happens when they popping up on the street. Personally, I stopped putting faith in most North American car mag reviews about 5 years ago.

Roger Yasukawa's career stats so far from IndyCar's own page. He has 37 career starts with 9 top 10 finishes, no wins and career winning of $2.5 million. Looks like the last couple of years he only ran in Indy 500. Again, don't know who he is but from the stats he doesn't sound as bad as you are describing.

http://www.indycar.com/stats/driver_stats.php?statYear=2005&driver_id=137&showCareer=1

What was the biggest series he competed in?

IRL.

How many full seasons has he had in IRL since his start in 2003?

Has anyone offered him a pay drive in any series?

No.

In actuality, he is probably a worst driver then I have been painting him as. I'm guessing that R&T gig is giving him some pocket cash and giving him something to do. It's not like his phone is ringing off the hook, to drive anything in a remotely competitve series.

How many full seasons has he had in IRL since his start in 2003?

Actually 2, 2003 & 2005. He has a full time seat with in 2005 with Dreyer & Reinbold Racing.

Has anyone offered him a pay drive in any series?

No.

I don't know how IRL works but when you sign to drive for a team doesn't that imply you are getting pay by the team? Besides, $2.5 million in winnings is about $2.5 millions more than I got. :lol:

I don't know how IRL works but when you sign to drive for a team doesn't that imply you are getting pay by the team?

No.... This goes for motorsports in general. A driver can either be paid by the team to drive or bring along sponsorhip dollars from personal advertisers which pay for them to drive that car and for the team to operate.

In the second sceanrio, you basically paying to drive a car with a racing team. This is a popular option for cash strapped teams or drivers with little skill but are supposedly marketable.

Besides, $2.5 million in winnings is about $2.5 millions more than I got. :lol:

Too, bad he probably only got about 10% max of those winnings. Most of those winnings probably went back to fund the team with him only getting a small portion.

What I want to know is the mod potential, the performance the basic chassis can deliver.

Either car would likely get the same tires, coil-overs, and whatever else was deemed necessary for my style of driving (sways, possible chassis stiffeners). The new STI seems like it will gain a lot from that, the EVO not soo much.

End results would equal? I don't know.

But if I buy the EVO I will have to ditch the wing.

The STI's power potential should be able the same as current STI, same engine and all. The unknown is the 4B11 for the Evo. I know Mitsu UK is marketing the FQ-360 Evo X so I guess it's at least good for 360 crank hp with stock turbo and some bolt-ons. BTW, the FQ is only available with the 5MT, supposely the SST can't really handle much more power/torque than the stock rating. I'm hoping in couple of years the USDM Ralliart will come with a 5 or 6MT and in Sportback form.

:wub:

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/01/mitsubishi_sp_lancer_03.jpg

Archived