LegacyGT.com

Legacy 3.0R 5AT Problem

Car has only 80k miles on it. Has anyone with the 5 speed auto in the 3.0R had any issues with a laggy and rough shift into 3rd gear nearly every time and almost every throttle position? I checked the fluid level and it's fine. As to whether it's ever been flushed or not, I'm unsure of as I just bought the car. I wanted to see if this was a known issue before I consulted the stealership.

I have an 09 3.0R with the 5EAT with approx 88k on it. I had the dealer flush it at around 60k. I've experienced where it kinda "sticks/stays" in a gear for longer than it should. If I am driving sporty I use the manual mode since I know it always wants to sit in 4th/5th even at low speeds.

Bottom line is probably best to just go get it flushed and have peace of mind. Other than that I have had no issues with it. The 3.0R needs a 6 speed STI trans behind it but that's a costly endeavor. Hit me up with any questions I've had my car for a while now.

I have an 09 3.0R with the 5EAT with approx 88k on it. I had the dealer flush it at around 60k. I've experienced where it kinda "sticks/stays" in a gear for longer than it should. If I am driving sporty I use the manual mode since I know it always wants to sit in 4th/5th even at low speeds.

Bottom line is probably best to just go get it flushed and have peace of mind. Other than that I have had no issues with it. The 3.0R needs a 6 speed STI trans behind it but that's a costly endeavor. Hit me up with any questions I've had my car for a while now.

Will do, thanks for the tips! I wanted to avoid a flush the best I can as the dealership wants to charge me almost $250 to do it.

The only two things I've seen cause harsh shifts are low fluid or something wrong with the programming. Sometimes a refresh helps but I'll probably try fluid flush first. The weird part to me is that it only shifts hard going into third gear.

If you're handy there's a DIY 5eat flush around here that I followed using the trans cooler lines and a 10 qts of Amsoil ATF.

I also used a $6 eBay VAGCOM cable to do a level 2 reset.

I have also heared of it's over filled it can run weird. I think the general concencus is to run the ATF a little above half way between low and full. Also, make sure you're checking it right (I.e. After 20 minute drive, engine running, after running through reverse and drive)

If you're handy there's a DIY 5eat flush around here that I followed using the trans cooler lines and a 10 qts of Amsoil ATF.

I also used a $6 eBay VAGCOM cable to do a level 2 reset.

I have also heared of it's over filled it can run weird. I think the general concencus is to run the ATF a little above half way between low and full. Also, make sure you're checking it right (I.e. After 20 minute drive, engine running, after running through reverse and drive)

Were the lines flowing the same way as the GT in the DIY? Someone said they did it on a Tribeca and the lines were reversed.

I pulled one of the lines from underneath, put a vinyl tube on the metal pipe, aimed both the vinyl tube i attached and the disconnected rubber house into my drain pan, and had someone blip the throttle so i knew which one was the out flow.

I'm not 100% sure but from the pipes under the steering rack, i think the driverside hose/pipe is coming from cooler and going back into the TC.

For anybody interested, I've set up an appointment with the dealership so they can run a diag on the TCM to see how up to date my software is. They've informed me that there are multiple reflashes available for the 5 speed auto. Hopefully this will solve the issue. I'll post back here with the results.

At 80K you are probably safe to flush the entire trans fluid unless you beat the s%$# out of it way too much. I've had many 5EAT trans's, all behind Turbo motors, they can live if taken care of. I would consider contacting ClimberD@Hexmods(on this list) he knows a buttload about the 5EAT and does Valve body and center diff mods too. A wealth of knowledge.

R/Mac

Archived