LegacyGT.com

Throwout bearing is going on me

Adamn

So I'm having the seemingly typical throwout bearing squeal when the car first starts up (goes away as soon as I put any pressure on the clutch at all, so I'm almost positive that's it). I've got a 2006 5MT with 76k on the clock. I've had the car about a month so I don't know what all was done to it prior to me having it but it looked very well taken care of and bone stock. So since I will have to be dropping the tranny to change this out, should I look into just doing a new clutch while I'm at it and stick with the stock flywheel? Or spend the extra $200 or more and replace it while I'm at it? I'm assuming I'll be looking at this:

- New clutch

- New TOB

- TSK3 Kit (Which one?

- New flywheel?

Anything else I should be picking up while I'm at it? Or I should know going into this? Going to do it myself with my father in law (mechanic for 30+ years) so I should be fine, but I just don't want to tear it apart and be missing a bolt or kit I should have picked up.

Edit: Also trying to decide if I should go for a stronger clutch or just get the Exedy OEM replacement kit. I won't be going over a stage 2 setup as this is my daily driver so I'm thinking the Exedy will be enough?

Edit again. Adding a video. Yes I did it in portrait because I'm an idiot. But still, you can hear the sound it's making. It's in a parking garage so it's a little amplified (along with my exhaust) but you get the point. All of this noise is gone after about 2 minutes of driving too.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B5oFvBeqS4]2006 LGT Throwout bearing - YouTube[/ame]

[/url]

PM "Underdog" tell him what you have and you want a OEM single mass FW and ask him which clutch kit he recommends.

You'll also need a Torx T50+ to remove the old FW bolts.

You'll need new FW bolts for the SMFW.

He will take good care of you.

You'll need tranny fluid too. Exhaust gaskets for the turbo to DP.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I might PM him to see what he recommends. I've got some Amazon credit to use up so I may try and grab some stuff off there too. Thinking about just going with the CM FX300. Now I'll need to grab a flywheel for it. Wonder if it will work with the ACT Streetlite or if I'll have to find the WRX single mass.

I just want something that will handle stage 2 and won't shit out on me in 20k miles. That seems hard to find with aftermarket clutches but OEM might not be able to fully handle the stage 2 maps.

After reading and researching like crazy on here for the last month, I'm seriously considering just trading this thing in on a friggin Kia or something that isn't a ticking time bomb ha ha.

I just put a OEM SMFW in my wagon and Spec 2+ clutch kit. The Spec 2 clutch lasted 50,000 miles at my WHP.

The old 2+ was still strong at 85,000 miles when I put the ej257 in.

I bought the last set up from him. This new Spec 2+ clutch is easier then the old one, I feels a lot like the OEM clutch in my Spec B. It just grabs a little higher. It does make a squeal sometimes when I engage 1st gear, but that's just the Carbon/Kevlar material.

I've had great luck with Spec Clutches.

You can use your Amazon credit for the fluids, and the Torx T50+.

Rich is a great guy to deal with, awesome customer service. Just like the guy's at www.AZPinstalls.com, I've bought a lot from them over the years too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

There's just almost too much information on here, and a lot of it is a few years old. Every time I read about a clutch that people recommend and how awesome it is, I find a post that is 6 months later that says "It went out on me after 20k miles". Or when I see 50 posts how awesome the FX300 is, there are a few from a couple years later saying "Man I wish the FX350 was out before". So far I'm down to these three:

- Spec 2+

- Competition Clutch Stage 2

- FX350

Since I'm an 06 I'll also need that flywheel. Some kits come with one, others don't. Some require OEM SMFW (only finding them for $300+), others require you to use theirs.

I'd be interested to hear what AZP and Infamous have to say now that they've been putting these clutches on cars for a few more years. Maybe I'll have to PM them too. Trying to get this replaced for under $1k total (fluids, clutch, flywheel, TSK3, etc). Just kind of annoyed that I've had the car for less than a month and I'm going to have to put about $1,500 into it just to keep it running (doing timing belt and water pump soon too).

I saw those on Infamous' site as well. I just need whatever I put in there to not have to be replaced in a year. It's my daily driver and I'm rarely hard on it at all. I'd just much rather be putting money into extra goodies for the car than maintenance, but it looks like I picked the wrong car for that ha ha.

I plan to get at least 80,000 + miles out of my Spec 2+ in my wagon.

I talked with one of the Techs at Spec and was told that is what they recommend for a stage 2 car or turbo cars in general

I plan to get at least 80,000 + miles out of my Spec 2+ in my wagon.

I talked with one of the Techs at Spec and was told that is what they recommend for a stage 2 car or turbo cars in general

Do I have to use their flywheel or can I use the WRX SMFW? I've read both on here and I don't see where it says it on their site.

I got (love) my Southbend stage 3 daily from Mike @ Infamous Performance...its not all that bad for DD it engages smooth and a slight increase in pedal and grabs really really early...hope my TOB holds up...seems to make a noise time to time...i did get a 11 wrx smfw cut that i got from a local nasioc guy and paired up nicely...i was worried about cutting it but it all worked out just fine

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

So here's my shopping list so far (besides fluids). Anything I'm missing? It's looking like I may be going with option 2. Even though I;m losing the future upgradability not getting the SMFW and going with a LWFW when Im not thrilled about it, the extra $226 can cover fluids and go towards the timing belt job I'll need to do soon.

Option 1

- Spec 05-06 Legacy GT (including Spec B) Stage 2+ Clutch Kit. SKU SU253H. $640

- OEM single mass flywheel (part# 12342AA090) $300

- Legacy GT Tranquil TSK3 Sleeve Kit $160

- Subaru Flywheel Bolt Set (Hex cap, set of 8) $16

Total: $1,116

Option 2 (cheaper)

- Competition Clutch Stage 2 - Street Series 2100 Clutch Kit $730

- Legacy GT Tranquil TSK3 Sleeve Kit $160

Total: $890

Do I have to use their flywheel or can I use the WRX SMFW? I've read both on here and I don't see where it says it on their site.

I have a OEM SMFW and the Spec 2+ clutch for a 2007-2009 Legacy GT

PM Underdog, he may be able to you better prices.

I had $390 bucks amazon credit to use. I know I could have saved it for something else, but having that cash on hand now was better for me. I grabbed the clutch off there and everything else from Mike @ Infamous. I got mad and ordered more than I should have ha ha. Looks like it will be till next weekend that I can do the repairs though since everything will be here next week sometime.

I'm trying not to drive the car too much until then but with it being my daily it'll be hard not to.

So by next week I should have:

- Comp clutch stage 2

- Tranquil kit

- OEM Flywheel bolts (easier than ripping the old ones off for $16)

- Grimmspeed downpipe (already have the up pipe to go on still)

- Cobb AP V3

The car should drive a bit differently after all of that. Too bad I have to wait about 800 miles before I can really test out the new maps on the v3 though.

Are you doing the job yourself ?

I have learned to leave the turbo loose on the up pipe, until the tmic is clamped in the TB hose and the two bolts started on the turbo outlet.

I find the tranny hits the turbo sometimes when your trying to pull it.

Yes. Doing it myself so it should be interesting. I appreciate any tips you or anyone else has for it. I've seen the video out there (I think it's stickied) so at least I have a general process of what actually has to be taken off, but I'm sure there are about 100 things that would make it easier having experience with this car specifically rather than just other transmission jobs. I have an experienced mechanic to help, but I don't know how many subarus he's done. I'm hoping to have it all done within a day. Just sucks that I have to do it during a Florida summer and it couldn't wait till winter like I would have hoped.

The electrical connectors on top of the tranny can be a PITA some times. Do those early if possible.

The tranny comes off the block very hard the first time, just keep after it.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for all the advice. The car actually was super cooperative and the housing came off within 10 minutes. Some screw drivers and a pry bar got it off easy. I ended up not using the TSK3 kit though. It seemed a bit weaker than the throwout that came with the clutch kit so I just rolled with that. I did find out my pitch stop mount was starting to crack so looks like i'll be looking for an upgrade soon. STI Group N?

Archived