LegacyGT.com

Steering/Suspension Problems

Hey everyone, I own a 2011 Subaru Legacy 3.6R, I've recently noticed a few thins with my car, Ive had it for about a year now. When I'm turning into parking spots at a sharp angle slowly I hear small knocks as if something is popping slightly, however it is not the ball joints or tie rod ends, I was told by a mechanic of mine that the driveshaft/cv joint needs to be replaced but there is no hurry because it is currently safe to drive according to him. The steering wheel feels as if it wonders sometimes and feels loose sometimes the car tends to wonder when at highway speeds as if it wants to go towards one direction each time. Not sure if these problems are related but if anyone can point me out into the right direction as in what could be wrong, I will really appreciate it thanks!

Do you know if your tires are wearing evenly? Are they at around the same tread depth? You didn't happen to replace one tire and not the others did you? Reason I'm asking is the center differentials are sensitive to different tread depths and if this is your case, your center diff might be making the noise when you make sharp turns

That could be a few things, I haven't heard of too many cv joints wearing out on subarus, the inner boots do have a tendency to rip but the ones at the outer joint tend to last a long time. Our tribeca has needed both inner boots on the front but the outer ones are original. It is an 07 with 153k miles on it.

My GT hasn't needed anything, but occasionally I do get a kind of pop when turning hard and pulling into parking spaces or my driveway. I assumed it was probably the strut bearing or top hat, but IDK that for sure.

The steering wheel feels as if it wanders sometimes and feels loose sometimes the car tends to wander when at highway speeds as if it wants to go towards one direction each time. Not sure if these problems are related but if anyone can point me out into the right direction as in what could be wrong, I will really appreciate it thanks!

Has this always happened? I've found that the larger rear sway bar from a new STI and the larger front sway bar from the 2013-14 models helped with the wandering. As well as the Perrin steering damper lockdown. It's a blurred memory but I too had the same problem on the highway. Winds would blow the car all over the road. Now it's straight as can be.

I actually found that the Perrin steering damper lockdown helped immensely with the wandering in high crosswinds, even after bumping up to a 20mm RSB. Going to a 26mm FSB should help a bunch as well, although that's a little more of an adventure for me to test out than it is for you 3.6R guys.

Wandering.....Get your alignment checked. My guess is that the front wheels are toe'd out a little. You want them as close to 0 toe as possible, but a little toe-in is best. Also, yes, our cars tend to "wander" at higher speeds. Get a bigger rear sway bar if you haven't already.

Ticking....If it's a cyclical, pinging sound, meaning it can be attributed to every rotation of the tire and it's repeatable with a pattern, then it sounds like a bad CV joint. How many miles on the car?

I think I might have this issue as well. 67-68K on the car.

I recently noticed (can only be heard with the windows down) that when I'm driving slowly 5-10-15mph through a parking lot or multi-level garage AND make a sharp or long LEFT turn that I get this distinct ticking sound that appears to be coming from the back of the car and its cyclical.

Click, click, click, click. The frequency of the clicks increases the faster I take the turn and potentially becomes a tad louder the sharper I turn in or the sharper the turn.

I do NOT hear it if I take a RIGHT turn. Only LEFT... which would lead be to believe its likely the RIGHT (passenger's side) front or rear CV joint.

What can I check to verify and pinpoint if its the rear or front axle/CV joint?

For the 3.6Rs - looks like the front suspension CV joint can be purchased separately, but in the back its the entire axles:

Front (3.6R)

http://www.quirkparts.com/auto-parts/2014/subaru/legacy/3-6r-limited-trim/3-6l-h6-gas-engine/front-drive-axle-cat/axle-shafts-and-joints-scat

Rear (3.6R)

http://www.quirkparts.com/auto-parts/2014/subaru/legacy/3-6r-limited-trim/3-6l-h6-gas-engine/rear-suspension-cat/axle-and-differential-scat

http://www.quirkparts.com/subaru/legacy/28421aj01a/2014-year/3-6r-limited-trim/3-6l-h6-gas-engine/rear-suspension-cat/axle-and-differential-scat/?part_name=axle-assy&position=right

http://www.quirkparts.com/subaru/legacy/28421aj01a/2014-year/3-6r-limited-trim/3-6l-h6-gas-engine/rear-suspension-cat/axle-and-differential-scat/?part_name=axle-assy&position=left

Reply to GTEASER,

Yes, alignment is one of the things I need to get done, and the clicking is not really a continuous noise like cv joints going bad, it doesnt get louder when i accelerate its just making turns into driveways or parking at slow speeds

Archived