LegacyGT.com

Any thoughts on FM modulators?

Fire Away

Are FM modulators that run into the head unit via the antenna input worth anything? They are 30-40 bucks via Amazon. My recently acquired 98' legacy has an aftermarket head unit, Blaupunkt Indianapolis CD34, that doesn't have any auxiliary inputs on the front or rear.

I want to upgrade the HU eventually but I want to wait for something that can integrate with the iPhone 5.

My first thought was one of the transmitters due to ease of use. However, the static and interference would bother me. Besides, some of the FM modulators I have seen are on par price wise with the FM transmitters and should, in theory, give better sound quality.

IMO better of to get a cheap headunit like a sony xplod. Ok quality and has AUX input. since you have a 98. Should only cost about $150 installed if not less.

That thought crossed my mind but I'd almost rather save up for something a little more expensive later in the year or next year when head units are available that do everything I want and sound a lot better.

if you live in an area with lots of radio station...be prepared to get annoyed

It shouldn't with the modulator. I had one years ago with XM Radio and it did really well at blocking out all of the signal on the station it was sent to. The sound quality left something to be desired but that was ten years ago. I'd hope they have improved since.

I was looking at a bluetooth one on amazon as well:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/iSimple-ISFM21-Universal-Bluetooth-Transmitter/dp/B005XUEMK6/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1363848090&sr=1-1&keywords=fm+modulator+bluetooth+isimple]Amazon.com: iSimple ISFM21 TranzIt Universal Bluetooth Enabled FM Transmitter Car Kit for Android Devices, Blue: Automotive[/ame]

I've read that the sound quality from most of the bluetooth devices is questionable. The compression used to transmit data doesn't yield the same quality as if you were running through an aux in port. More of the phone to the device not the device to the head unit. Apparently there is a newer type of bluetooth compression that compression better for streaming music but, of course, apple doesn't use it yet.

IMHO, given the ease of switching head units in your car, I'd get something like this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDAHD65/JVC-Arsenal-KD-AHD65.html#accessories-tab

http://www2.crutchfield.com.edgesuite.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ImageHandler/fixedscale/900/900/products/2011/49/105/x105KDAHD65-o_front.jpeg

Two aux inputs, USB, HD Radio built in, Bluetooth compatible with JVC adapter. (catches breath) 20x4 REAL watts RMS CEA-2006, shipped with all harnesses required to your door for $100??? Can't be beat IMHO. Don't mess with the iSimple or other adapters, just replace the ancient Blaupunkt.

Doh, didn't pay close attention to the original post - I had a JCV KX-X50BT radio in my previous car, and it worked very well. I'm not an audiophile, but I thought the sound was very good over bluetooth. It didn't have a cd player, but I got it at under $80.

Installer here. I've installed very many fm modulators and they work wonders over the transmitters. You loose a little bit of fidelity just because of how FM works. In all my years I have never, not once, sold someone an fm transmitter because they get super annoying.

You can walk into a best buy and get a deck with an AUX in for probably 70-80 dollars and re-use the install parts that are already in there.

Check out iSimple for the best hard wired fm mod solutions. They cut off the antenna when they activate so no outside interference.

this is the best way for a FM modulator. My XM sat radio unit in my Outback has one and its fine.

I installed the iSimple Tranzit BLU, works nicely. They say it's for android, but when I paired it to my iphone, it linked to the app store so I could get the app.

Took 15 minutes to install, paid about $58 from amazon, plus $35 for the antenna adapters locally. I drilled a hole in my center console behind the ebrake and mounted the switch.

If you are able to pull out the radio. It may have a rear aux input. I know Panasonic have them then all you need is an RCA cable to 3.5mm aux for few bucks. If not RCA then check model number and get one through manufacturer.

If you are able to pull out the radio. It may have a rear aux input. I know Panasonic have them then all you need is an RCA cable to 3.5mm aux for few bucks. If not RCA then check model number and get one through manufacturer.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-MNPZGM85Oof/p_023INDY/Blaupunkt-Indianapolis-CD34.html

No Aux in at all, no MP3 capability. Spending $80 on a FM modulator is a waste of money when you could get a new, much better HU for $20 more. Just sayin :confused:

Archived