LegacyGT.com

Looking for advice

Hi everyone, I just bought a 94 wagon AWD in excellent condition (for its age) with 175k on the clock. Just wondering if there's anything I should do or look out for to prevent any headaches, especially if it's something easy to do. It does have a loud squeal which is hopefully just a belt, and the check engine light comes on after it warms up completely. I have read all the things about checking the error codes so I just need to find those connectors and figure that out. I'm excited to get all the small annoying stuff out of the way and start eating up some miles so any advice would be awesome. Thanks!

Hello;

I am in the same boat, recently picking up a 1992 Legacy with FWD, and MT. First thing was the brakes, new tires, alignment and servicing the engine. The squealing on yours could be loose alt/ps belt, ac compressor belt faults, or timing components failing. The CEL light will need to be addressed, I would recommend getting a copy of the factory service manual. Try this, http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/engine.html , Steven.

If you're lucky the CEL is probably just a knock sensor code.

Things you can do: change plugs w/NGKs, new plug wires, air filter, fuel filter, check valve covers and replace (easy 20 minute job), new PCV valve, seafoam treatment, clean the throttle body.

If the timing belt is overdue I would get on that when you get a chance. Replace all the timing components, pulleys, tensioner, belt, water pump. And while the timing belt is off replace the cam and crank seals, reseal the oil pump and check the screws, replace camshaft support o-rings.

You should be good to go then! :)

Archived