LegacyGT.com

Yayyy for head gasket leaks -_- got some questions guys

Just got an oil change and they said i have a head gasket leak. They said i wouldnt have noticed cuz it seems to have JUST started. Im gonna have an inspection done to find out for sure but im preparing myself for the inevitable lol

From what ive read this isnt an ASAP emergency fix i just need to keep an eye on it.. this true? Id like to get it done while it still just a slight leak and nothing but new gaskets is needed but they said i have a transmission leak and the fluid is in need of replacing AND brake fluid too (will take care of that myself) im not rich so whatever can wait a lil bit needs to

I plan on doing it myself (head gaskets not tranny) so if anyone can point my in the direction of a good quality set or kit.

HGs will weep for thousands of miles then start mixing into you coolant which will break down your oil and eventually kill your engine.

The HGs themselves are cheap and if you can replace them at home youll save yourself $2K but remember to replace the other wear items while doing it (Timing set, valve covers, oil, coolant, T-stat, etc)

The tranny leak is that from a seal? If not which end is leaking?

The brakes, what is leaking there?

If you have the right tools and space the HG job is not that bad really one thing to keep in mind is you can reuse the head bolts and the tensioner from the timing set if you only want to buy a new belt.

I would not let the HG fall to the way side if they blow and pressurize the coolant its toast if you do it ahead of time that the only major issue affecting the that engine.

^^ This

Also, pull off the timing cover and check for leaks around the cam/crank oil seals. These tend to leak over time and oil will flow back across the head gasket area.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Brakes arent leaking the fluid is just bad ill flush that and get it out of the way.

Dont know whats leaking on the transmission yet they said i have to get an inspection done.

Soo i should have some time to get the other stuff taken care of before the HG?

Tools arent a problem, space shouldnt be but gotta talk to my family. Im not gonna lie im super intimidated by it. I KNOW its easy but theres just SOOO much to it. But... i have no other options. I have no way to pay thousands of dollars to have it done. Especially since my other vehicle needs work too. And they are both daily drivers so they cant just be out of commission

I swear ima just start leasing cars lol

Several videos on YouTube on replacing the HG, not hard it's just time consuming. Keep in mind there will be other things need replacing when pulling off the heads, such as other gaskets and tubes. Search for HG kits that come with the other gaskets needing to be replaced. Doing it yourself shouldn't cost you more than $300, having a shop do it will run between $800 - $1,000.

Once the heads are off, they will need to be decked and pressure tested (to insure the valves aren't leaking) by an auto machine shop, that usually runs between $100 - $150.

Not urgent if it just started, but you don't want to let it continue. You want the better quality multi-layer steel (MLS) head gaskets. The Six Star brand has a good reputation though there are others. Don't cheap out, it's not worth it. Don't use the old style OEM head gaskets, they will eventually fail again (old style single layer gasket with coating).

You will want to replace all the relevant gaskets and seals while you are in there (intake manifold, exhaust manifold, valve cover, spark plug tubes, etc). There are kits for this as has been mentioned above.

This is why its cheaper to buy a new lower cost vehicle than keeping older ones running esp Subarus while they are good they are good they are great but once the major issue rear their heads the thousands just crop up :lol:

IF you arent confident in the HG job but are mechanically savvy the biggest threat is having untrue heads and need them to be decked this is why some buy the HG after disassembly to get the right thickness.

Youtube the process there is this older guy that did a full EJ 22 build in his driveway on the ground lol it was great

Yeahhh... when the grim reapairs end up costing more than your vehicle could sell for in perfect condition it gets ya thinkin lol at least its a dirt cheap job if you can manage to DIY. Ill have to look for that video. I just watched a 40min one of a red head guy with a "crappy attitude" do 1 side of the HG. I enjoyed it.

Im not necessarily not confident its just ALOT to worry about. I know i can take it all apart and hopefully not forget anything while putting it back together.

One thing i know nothing about is what you guys are saying about the heads. Being untrue and needing to be machined or resurfaced..

Just got an oil change and they said i have a head gasket leak. They said i wouldnt have noticed cuz it seems to have JUST started. Im gonna have an inspection done to find out for sure but im preparing myself for the inevitable lol

From what ive read this isnt an ASAP emergency fix i just need to keep an eye on it.. this true? Id like to get it done while it still just a slight leak and nothing but new gaskets is needed but they said i have a transmission leak and the fluid is in need of replacing AND brake fluid too (will take care of that myself) im not rich so whatever can wait a lil bit needs to

I plan on doing it myself (head gaskets not tranny) so if anyone can point my in the direction of a good quality set or kit.

Who are "they"? Last thing I'd do is get advice from Iffylube.

Wait, hold on, the Grim Reaper is still a long ways off. The head gaskets are one of those things that are almost guaranteed to fail, along with CV boots, wheel bearings and a few other things. If you can DIY, it's not really expensive though it is a big job and you need some tools and a good space to work. Resale value is irrelevant if you are keeping the car and it's cheaper than buying a new one, at least until very high miles.

Once fixed with the right parts, you should not need to do the head gaskets again.

Lol i was just messin around i made a typo accidentally typing reapairs so i went with it.

As for resale i just mean id love to get a newer subie but i owe money on this one like twice what its worth cuz they dropped in price massively since last year when i bought it

Repairs may be grim but that's still better than the Grim Reaper! :lol:

On the machine work for the heads, the machine shop does all the hard work for you. You just have to disassemble and reassemble correctly and you should be good. There is a limit for how flat they need to be, if your heads are within spec, they don't need to to be ground flat.

Repairs may be grim but that's still better than the Grim Reaper! :lol:

On the machine work for the heads, the machine shop does all the hard work for you. You just have to disassemble and reassemble correctly and you should be good. There is a limit for how flat they need to be, if your heads are within spec, they don't need to to be ground flat.

This reminds me the updated FEL-PRO SOHC EJ25 HG is specifically geared towards the DIY-ers and not having the ability to mill a head but able to check just how not true it is aka use a straight edge and a feeler :)

For years I never advised folks to buy the FEL-PRO (26170PT) but the newer ones (26415PT) really have corrected this issue. I had a set of these for my 08 2.5i as I neared 200K I was going to have my local Subaru shop replace them until it died.

But you have options EJ255 OEM MLS or FELPRO, that is the moral of my story :lol:

What about those six star ones? Arent they like THEE best? I see theyre spendy but if i go the DIY route and not spend $2400 i could prolly buy those

You could buy those, but the newer OEM gaskets will work fine without spending the extra cost.

Ohhh so they DID finally fix they're HGs?

Yes they corrected them in the mid to early 2000's. I redid my motor going on 5 yrs now with them and so far so good.

If you go with the OEM gaskets, just make sure they are the updated part number, multi-layer steel type. The newer gaskets should look very similar to the ones they make for the turbo motors. There for awhile, Subaru was fixing the bad gaskets with the same old part they had been using on the normally-aspirated motors which was going to fail again. I can't understand why they would do that.

Archived