LegacyGT.com

07 Legacy Limited Headunit Audio Issue

Lebomb3636

Hey Guys,

So last month my 07 legacy started experiencing issues with the headunit. All lights on the headunit would be on, however, sometimes immediately after starting the car, the radio would stop working. The aux input as well as the CD players also stopped working. All the lights on the headunit would still however remain on. The HVAC works just fine.

Initially the issue was remedied by restarting the car. However, it has now come to the point where not even restarting the car fixes the issue. I took the car the dealership and during the first visit they told me a "wire was loose and we reconnected it." When I drove it off the lot, the radio worked just fine, however after switching to the AUX input it again stopped working. No sound out of the speakers but all the lights on the headunit were just fine.

I took it back a 2nd time and they told me they tested all the external power to the radio and it looked fine therefore it must be an internal issue and there was nothing they could do but replace the unit...which would cost 460$ after labor.

Again, driving out of the dealership the radio worked just fine, including me switching to the AUX input.

However, 2 days later it has again stopped working. During this whole ordeal, the HVAC has worked just fine.

Anyone have any idea what could possibly be wrong? I'd really appreciate any pointers seeing as I cant really afford to replace the unit right now and driving while playing music out of my cell phone just isn't cutting it.

Thanks!!

Sounds like possibly a loose connection, but the shop could be right that it's an internal issue. Check the connections at the back of the unit. If those seem solid, you might check the classified section for a replacement.

(Of course there's other possibilities too, though less likely. It could be shorted speaker wires somewhere, but you'd probably need to dig into the doors to find that.)

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

Thanks for the advice guys. It could be something grounding out. Occasionally, after it hasn't been working for a week, I'll be driving and it'll spontaneously just turn on. However, after I turn off the engine and turn it back on it's not working again.

I've had some issues with my battery recently, with a lot of build up on the terminals. After it was cleaned was almost exactly when the issues started occurring with the radio. Is there any possible way that the leads to the battery were damaged? Not quite sure why this would selectively affect the radio though.

Thanks again for the tips guys.

Archived