LegacyGT.com

car problem in traffic

i have around 29k on my car with no engine mods beside cobb ap and air filter.

when driving in traffic or low speeds of 5-15mph my car gets that pull feel, like when you release the clutch too fast or like im slamming on my brakes. i dont know what its called or how to describe it but any better way.

car is fine at normal speeds but just in traffic or areas where i have to drive slow it seems to be having that problem..

any ideas before i take it to dealer

thanks

i have around 29k on my car with no engine mods beside cobb ap and air filter.

when driving in traffic or low speeds of 5-15mph my car gets that pull feel, like when you release the clutch too fast or like im slamming on my brakes. i dont know what its called or how to describe it but any better way.

car is fine at normal speeds but just in traffic or areas where i have to drive slow it seems to be having that problem..

any ideas before i take it to dealer

thanks

I have this problem, its like the ECU want to be going faster for the gear you are in but you either are on the brakes or coasting with no throttle or brake. It lurched forward then stops like you are stomping the gas then letting off abruptly.

Another question have you noticed any throttle surge lately when the clutch is in while in stop-n-go traffic ??

My guess is the rolling idle speed is mapped to a table that relates to the speedometer and when you just want to creep along, in gear no throttle input but picking up speed, it doesn't like it.

I particularly hate when this happens b/c something in the bell housing make that metal smacking sound :eek:

I have this problem, its like the ECU want to be going faster for the gear you are in but you either are on the brakes or coasting with no throttle or brake. It lurched forward then stops like you are stomping the gas then letting off abruptly.

yes exactly what it feels like and doing..

Another question have you noticed any throttle surge lately when the clutch is in while in stop-n-go traffic ??

what do you mean by throttle surge :redface:

I particularly hate when this happens b/c something in the bell housing make that metal smacking sound :eek:

yea sound like my whole engine is about to fall apart or something.

last time my bro-in-law was with me and he thought i was letting the clutch go too fast but i told him that im not doing anything wrong the car has a mind of its own.

so i guess im not the only one with this problem?

gee-otto are you running on stock ecu or any other map

• I Donated Too
must be something with the 2.5 engine - I am pro tuned and have the same thing at low speeds, not really worse or better hot or cold but I notice it more when it's cold... others I know including those with 2.5 engines in Impreza's are also and have reported the same stumbling feel, it was not so present in the stock tune but it is now and was the moment it got tuned. It doesn't seem to happen to every car but it is common enough. While it could be annoying I just deal with it, there's no harm happening to the engine.

thanks for the links sigmafour. i would have searched before i made this thread but never knew what this problem was called. as long as it doesnt cause damage (which who knows it might be) ill just leave it alone. i dont want to spend money trying new maps, spark plugs, throttle control and etc.

thanks guys

yes exactly what it feels like and doing..

what do you mean by throttle surge :redface:

yea sound like my whole engine is about to fall apart or something.

last time my bro-in-law was with me and he thought i was letting the clutch go too fast but i told him that im not doing anything wrong the car has a mind of its own.

so i guess im not the only one with this problem?

gee-otto are you running on stock ecu or any other map

Back on my stock map, I called Mach V and ask about logging while it is acting up to see if it provides feedback.

Another test is once you notice this occurring int traffic, get up to 30-40 MPH, push in clutch, leave car in gear, see if RPMs surge up to 1500-1800

Another cause that a member suggested to me was that the Neutral switch was failing

i remember the first couple times this happened to me...

"oh god, faulty accelerator, gonna die!" :eek:

My only issue with this problem is my legacy isn't as smooth as it once was :(

I want to be able to work the clutch in traffic and not appear as if i'm on the brake and gas and clutch at the same time all the time.

i remember the first couple times this happened to me...

"oh god, faulty accelerator, gonna die!" :eek:

:lol:first time for me i was like "fck there goes money for koni that i need" and second thought was "please dont die on me right now please :redface:"

Back on my stock map, I called Mach V and ask about logging while it is acting up to see if it provides feedback.

Another test is once you notice this occurring int traffic, get up to 30-40 MPH, push in clutch, leave car in gear, see if RPMs surge up to 1500-1800

Another cause that a member suggested to me was that the Neutral switch was failing

if you do get some feed back let me/us know

i dont think i can go 30-40 in traffic unless i stop and not move for 1min or so but ill give it a try

My only issue with this problem is my legacy isn't as smooth as it once was :(

I want to be able to work the clutch in traffic and not appear as if i'm on the brake and gas and clutch at the same time all the time.

i seemed to have problem getting in to 1st gear once in awhile..

need to start telling passengers not to drink anything while in traffic:lol:

Archived