Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - 2014 ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Lots of people trading in their 2010 legacy.. (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159764)

IcEWoLF 04-12-2011 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CL21376 (Post 3346174)
What level of performance are you looking for? Do you have a baseline for what you want out of your car?

After few months I am tired of driving through the mountains here.
I admit, it was my mistake going with a 2.5i model, it feels way too slow when going up the mountains, just slow for my taste.

I want something close to 260-300 HP, I want to be able to go fast without having to floor my car .
I'd like to stay with Subaru because weather can get nasty when you are traveling up here sometimes. Subaru AWD system is superb.

boymk123 04-12-2011 07:47 PM

I'm from double diamond area haha too bad I moved to Boston

well, the 3.6R will has better reliability compare to the LGT, little less HP, and torque but enough to get you going, oh wait, did I mention no turbo lag? :rolleyes: (dont flame me on this, I know a tune and DP will solve the issue, just saying)

pls stay away from the 2011 maxima, the styling is disaster imo.. get a used low millage TL if you dont really want AWD, best sedan ever!

IcEWoLF 04-12-2011 08:00 PM

Ah good to see a local :)
I do like the fact the 3.6R only requires regular gas instead of premium, so it is nice...and I bet insurance might be lower too....

seiyafan 04-12-2011 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IcEWoLF (Post 3346198)
I want to be able to go fast without having to floor my car

You need to car with high torque at lower RPM

CL21376 04-12-2011 08:09 PM

Quote:

I admit, it was my mistake going with a 2.5i model, it feels way too slow when going up the mountains, just slow for my taste.

I want something close to 260-300 HP, I want to be able to go fast without having to floor my car .
I'd like to stay with Subaru because weather can get nasty when you are traveling up here sometimes. Subaru AWD system is superb.

If an automatic transmission isn't a requirement, then by all means, try out the GT. The turbo is really strong in the low-mid RPM range, making it great for daily driving.

Have you considered an Acura TL? They have an AWD V6-spd version, although I have no idea what a new or CPO one would go for.

IcEWoLF 04-12-2011 08:28 PM

I saw the Acura TL, but its a little out of my price range, unless I decide to get a used one.
I am not sure about the exterior look either, not really my taste...

boymk123 04-12-2011 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IcEWoLF (Post 3346231)
Ah good to see a local :)
I do like the fact the 3.6R only requires regular gas instead of premium, so it is nice...and I bet insurance might be lower too....

Subaru H6 is pretty smooth, yes, lower insurance too
with the kind of gas price like this, even me switched to VW to save $$$

the only downside of 3.6R is it has a very limited modding resource, so if you'r planning to mod your car... go for the GT, if not 3.6R is a pretty decent all-weather daily (occasional tracky) driver. :)

you'll gain some with one model and lose some with others.. that's the Subaru game

Good luck

I miss Tahoe already..

edit: the new TL looks too much for my taste, too boxy. The old one looks more classy and refined! Yep, their prices are out of this world!

minuccims 04-12-2011 08:39 PM

So my LGT is mustang dyno'd @ 260 WHP, or ~312 to the crank. Even better for the hills, 325 WTQ or ~390 ft/lbs at the crank.

Is that enough?

Quote:

ChasWG 04-12-2011 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minuccims (Post 3346291)
So my LGT is mustang dyno'd @ 260 WHP, or ~312 to the crank. Even better for the hills, 325 WTQ or ~390 ft/lbs at the crank.

Is that enough?

Nope!

You need more mods... ;) :lol: :eek:

I live in the Denver, CO area and drive into the mountains all the time. My past couple cars have been a VW Passat 1.8T that was pretty well modded and then came a Audi A6 2.7T. Both cars were just way too much fun to drive in the mountains. I would regularly be doing 70-80MPH all the way to the entrances to the major East-West tunnel along I-70. That tunnel entrance is above 11000 ft. Turbos are the best thing to have while driving at altitude.

So when I finally took my 3.6R up that same road I was a little worried that at the dreaded 10K ft. mark The car would stumble and really slow down like most other NA cars do on that road. But I was pleasently surprised. I did have to down shift for a moment to 3rd, but once I got the revs back up I shifted to 4th and stayed there for the final assent to the top. The 3.6R engine did pretty darn well at something more than just an average set of hills. The real test will be when I drive it to the top of Pikes Peak this summer. The road goes up past 13000 ft. Many car companies to high altitude testing on that road.

helicooper 04-12-2011 11:14 PM

Having driven both the 3.6 and LGT I think the GT performs far better then the numbers would make you think. A large part of it could be the slushbox on the 3.6 though.

IcEWoLF 04-12-2011 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChasWG (Post 3346442)
Nope!

I live in the Denver, CO area and drive into the mountains all the time. My past couple cars have been a VW Passat 1.8T that was pretty well modded and then came a Audi A6 2.7T. Both cars were just way too much fun to drive in the mountains. I would regularly be doing 70-80MPH all the way to the entrances to the major East-West tunnel along I-70. That tunnel entrance is above 11000 ft. Turbos are the best thing to have while driving at altitude.

So when I finally took my 3.6R up that same road I was a little worried that at the dreaded 10K ft. mark The car would stumble and really slow down like most other NA cars do on that road. But I was pleasently surprised. I did have to down shift for a moment to 3rd, but once I got the revs back up I shifted to 4th and stayed there for the final assent to the top. The 3.6R engine did pretty darn well at something more than just an average set of hills. The real test will be when I drive it to the top of Pikes Peak this summer. The road goes up past 13000 ft. Many car companies to high altitude testing on that road.

Yep, we are about 4400 ft from sea level.

mclovin 04-13-2011 12:52 AM

got my leggy for a practical everyday driver that wasn't the same as everything else. i got rid of a 2WD lifted tacoma (it was gorgeous) for the steeper hills where i live in CO. while i still am content with the vehicle, i cannot do a car anymore. the 2.5i is a great car that does not feel cramped in anyway(cept for power). i would have to say though if i did get another leggy, i would HAVE to get at least a 3.6 or a GT. Thats my $0.02, going back to a truck ASAP.

mclovin 04-13-2011 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChasWG (Post 3346442)
Nope!

i can say that with a 2.5 that ascent is horrible...however the ascent to Pikes is not that bad. im sure that the 3.6 will do fine. i did it last year and you go so slow that its all pretty much 2nd MAYBE 3rd while you're above the tree line...the paddle shifters are a must for the decent :lol:

GravityGear 04-13-2011 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IcEWoLF (Post 3346195)
I am a bit far from LA :(
I am not too far from Fairfield, I might go check them out at the end of this month.
They have an LGT there that I can test it out.
Thanks for the offer Gravity, means lots :)

yeah man no problem. my offer stands for anyone that is looking to upgrade to a gt.

i may find myself in tahoe in the summer for some lift assisted riding. if i make it and you are still looking for a gt i will let you know.

froggio 04-13-2011 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IcEWoLF (Post 3346195)
I am a bit far from LA :(
I am not too far from Fairfield, I might go check them out at the end of this month.
They have an LGT there that I can test it out.
Thanks for the offer Gravity, means lots :)

You may want to go sooner than later. From my search experienced, after having bough a a LGT recently, they typically stay on the market for several weeks before someone buys it or gets dealer traded. It's a pretty special car to come by.