LegacyGT.com

possible engine failure.

Hello all. I have a 2008 Subaru legacy 2.5i limited pzev automatic with around 106,000 miles. The other day I was driving to work and the oil pressure light and check engine light came on without warning. I made it to my destination (10 minutes away) without any issues as it was the closest place to stop/pick anything up. I checked the oil and it was on the low end so I put more in and let it run and it sounded fine so I went in to work. My trip home is 20 minutes. Halfway home it started knocking slightly. The oil light came back on as I was pulling in the driveway. I let it sit overnight. In the morning I replaced the spark plugs and the air filter because they were due. I drained the oil, filled it again, ran it for a bit, then drained, then filled it again, drained and removed filter, the oil at first was dark but became clean. The oil coming from the filter had some metallic sheen (very fine shavings). I put on a new filter and filled it again. The engine knocks when it first starts for 1-2 seconds then idles fine, once the RPMs go above 2500 it knocks and gets louder as the RPMs go up. I shut the car off and had to take my wife's car to work. I don't even know where to begin to diagnosis. My head gasket was replaced under warranty in march of 2013. The transmission oil level has been stable and looks clean. My engine oil is mobile 1 high mileage 5w30, bosch distance plus filter and is changed roughly every 4000 miles and usually comes out mostly transparent. Any suggestions where to start besides the dealer?

If you have the time, you can send out your oil for analysis to a place like Blackstone, but, if you actually saw fine metal flakes in the oil, chances are, your oil pump went tits up and stopped pumping oil to the rod bearings, which then starved and took your engine down with them. I'm afraid from what you've described, it sounds like you'll need a new shortblock/engine.

That was my assumption too but I wanted to give an unbiased description to confirm my belief. Thank you for the quick responses. It is a long shot but I am going to contact the dealer first to see if they will buy it back for what I owe. I don't have any money to sink into this and even if they do repairs they could make $1-2k at sale. Anyone interested in this car for $7500?

I know, does not hurt to advertise haha.

No I did not just buy it. I have had all major service through the same dealer It was covered under warranty until last fall. They had replace the head gasket, wheel bearings, sway bar links, trailing arm bushings all under warranty. I have been doing my own oil changes and would have done the others but it was covered under warranty at the time. I have had it since March of 2011 and there hasn't been more than three months at a time without it having to go in for service for something other than routine maintenance. We don't have lemon laws in NH so I have been stuck with it.

Next thing you may want to change, the brand of oil. Mobil 1 5w-30 is junk. Nobody on here recommends that oil.

Other Mobil 1's are ok, but we all use other oils. I know yours is a 2.5i but still that oil breaks down to a 5-20 quickly.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Pennzoil platinum is a good oil. Around here it's $22 at walmart, and they have a fall $10 mail in rebate promotion going on right now as well. I don't use it in my car since I don't think our 2.5i's need a synthetic (plus my car consumes too much oil for me to want to use synthetic), but I use it in other cars I take care of that require synthetic. I picked up two 5qt jugs a few days ago since there are two rebates per household allowed.

http://www.pennzoil.com/promotions/

I run rotella t5 15w40 in my 08 legacy 2.5i. 80k on it and it gets driven harder than most but not abused. The car loves it I switched from rp 5w30 and noticed a huge difference instantly. The rod bearings are ungodly thin in the ej25s and love to spin at first given chance. Climates a huge factor too. I'm in Houston so my car sees a lot of 110* weather. I would rebuild and run thicker oil

Archived