LegacyGT.com

ej22t build.

hey guys. so i am getting myself an ej22t and gonna build it and put it in my 99 legacy wagon. so, obviously it'll be built then put into my car. i'll need a new wiring harness correct? along with new motor mounts? i don't build motors every day so please don't bother going off on me for not knowing about it that much. all i will do is laugh ha. thanks guys. i really do appreciate all the help you guys have provided for me with the posts i've made. anyways, if anyone has any advice on questions i've asked here or have more to tell me please do. Like i said i don't build motors every day but i know enough.

Depends on a couple things. What are you doing about the transmission, keeping the one you have? 5mt or auto?

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

im not dropping a new tranny unless i go to like 300hp as to which i might have to. its a 5 speed. no auto here

What are you planning to do for engine management? Stock SS harness & ecu? WRX harness & ECU? Standalone? What is your budget and HP goals?

Are you going to use stock heads or do a head swap? What internals are you going with? A stroker kit is the way to go if you have the $$$. For that you will need a new crank, pistons, rods, bearings, and a lot of machine work.

You will need to do a wiring harness merge at the very least. You will also need a new exhaust system and a WRX or SS crossmember for the downpipe to clear.

You'll need upgraded brakes, suspension, and swaybars, and it wouldn't hurt to install new motor and tranny mounts. New axles woudln't hurt.

A stock legacy tranny won't hold up for long with a lot of increased HP.

Read the turbo swap FAQ: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2nd-gen-engine-faq-turbos-mpg-engine-builds-engine-swaps-167968.html

Keep us posted! I have a 22T that I am working on as well. And I love my stock 22T that is in my SS. :)

Older legacy varied a little bit, so there may be some splicing at the sensor plus if I remember correctly. Mount locations are also the same I believe. But best to get a second opinion. I'm almost positive it's fairly plug and play, obviously you'd need the ecu, or a stand alone.

What are you planning to do for engine management? Stock SS harness & ecu? WRX harness & ECU? Standalone? What is your budget and HP goals?

Are you going to use stock heads or do a head swap? What internals are you going with? A stroker kit is the way to go if you have the $$$. For that you will need a new crank, pistons, rods, bearings, and a lot of machine work.

You will need to do a wiring harness merge at the very least. You will also need a new exhaust system and a WRX or SS crossmember for the downpipe to clear.

You'll need upgraded brakes, suspension, and swaybars, and it wouldn't hurt to install new motor and tranny mounts. New axles woudln't hurt.

A stock legacy tranny won't hold up for long with a lot of increased HP.

Read the turbo swap FAQ: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2nd-gen-engine-faq-turbos-mpg-engine-builds-engine-swaps-167968.html

Keep us posted! I have a 22T that I am working on as well. And I love my stock 22T that is in my SS. :)

im looking 250hp area...? i have wrx coilovers, i have raceland sway bars. its my DD so im not lloking to make 30psi with 400whp lol i want something with some power and all but not turn my car from a DD to a track car. i have full exhaust on it. catless with magnaflow muffler. i've been told i can easily make power with no worries of internals/transmission just by adding larger turbo, intercooler, BOV, and better intake. once again, it sounds good to me but is that all true? i have a 22e in my car now which is obviously a LOT less HP so even a stock 22t will make me feel like i have a huge power increase lol. if i could add power without touching internals that would be boss, but once again, this is a build outside my car so its not like im building it inside the car and out of a car for x period of time

Older legacy varied a little bit, so there may be some splicing at the sensor plus if I remember correctly. Mount locations are also the same I believe. But best to get a second opinion. I'm almost positive it's fairly plug and play, obviously you'd need the ecu, or a stand alone.

the motor im getting comes with ecu. thanks:)

Is your ej22e sohc or dohc?

Monkey hit it on the spot!

If you are thinking you may want more power later I highly recommend going with ej205 heads/intake manifold/ecu from the start. You will have a lot more tuning abilities later down the road.

If you use the stock ECU you can upgrade to a TD04 and TMIC with no problems. I would recommend installing a Walbro 255 and get the injectors cleaned and flow tested. Was the 22T from an auto or 5MT? You will want replace the ignition coil with a Diamond coil if it was from an auto as well as run a ground from the ecu so it knows you have swapped in a manual.

Do you have the MAF, the EBC, MAP, and the BCS from the 22T?

You can get a lot of power with the stock internals and meet your power goals. How many miles are on the 22T?

Is your ej22e sohc or dohc?

Monkey hit it on the spot!

If you are thinking you may want more power later I highly recommend going with ej205 heads/intake manifold/ecu from the start. You will have a lot more tuning abilities later down the road.

im never gonna wanna go up to anything crazy like 400. if i did it'd be in a second project car. my car as it sits is SOHC

If you use the stock ECU you can upgrade to a TD04 and TMIC with no problems. I would recommend installing a Walbro 255 and get the injectors cleaned and flow tested. Was the 22T from an auto or 5MT? You will want replace the ignition coil with a Diamond coil if it was from an auto as well as run a ground from the ecu so it knows you have swapped in a manual.

Do you have the MAF, the EBC, MAP, and the BCS from the 22T?

You can get a lot of power with the stock internals and meet your power goals. How many miles are on the 22T?

172k on the motor. the motor has everything. if i had a car to put it straight into i could and it'd run fine. has good compression. i do belive it was auto. i was looking up td04's (i know im getting ahead of myself). i might beef up the injectors to play on the safe side....? good idea?

If you are sohc now then you can re pin your stock ecu plug to work with the ej22t I believe. Check on bbs legacy for the details but I have heard of that working before. You obviously need to add a few wires also.

If you are sohc now then you can re pin your stock ecu plug to work with the ej22t I believe. Check on bbs legacy for the details but I have heard of that working before. You obviously need to add a few wires also.

ok sweet. luckily it comes with the 22t ECU. is it better to use that one or the one i have?

172k on the motor. the motor has everything. if i had a car to put it straight into i could and it'd run fine. has good compression. i do belive it was auto. i was looking up td04's (i know im getting ahead of myself). i might beef up the injectors to play on the safe side....? good idea?

The stock injectors will be just fine for now. If you went with a robtuned 20G ecu and a larger turbo then upgrading the injectors and changing to a coil pack would be necessary.

Ok, the motor has everything. But the ebc, map, maf and bcs are not attached to the motor. The ebc, map and bcs will be located on the passenger side strut tower. Make sure you get these! The maf is attached to the stock airbox. Make sure you pick up the resonator, the aux purge control valve, and the canister located behind the passenger headlight for everything to work.

Since the engine came out of an auto you will definitely need a Diamond coil pack.

The stock injectors will be just fine for now. If you went with a robtuned 20G ecu and a larger turbo then upgrading the injectors and changing to a coil pack would be necessary.

Ok, the motor has everything. But the ebc, map, maf and bcs are not attached to the motor. The ebc, map and bcs will be located on the passenger side strut tower. Make sure you get these! The maf is attached to the stock airbox. Make sure you pick up the resonator, the aux purge control valve, and the canister located behind the passenger headlight for everything to work.

Since the engine came out of an auto you will definitely need a Diamond coil pack.

Could I use the maf, ebc, map and bcs out of my car now?

You need an aluminum MAF from a 1st gen Legacy. The turbo and the 5MT MAF are interchangeable. Your car shouldn't have the ebc (electronic boost controler), the bcs (boost control solenoid), or the map. The map on the stock 22T is the APS (air pressure sensor), and doesn't look like a second gen MAP at all.

The aps is on the left, the bcs in on top, and the ebc is on the bottom:http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn41/henry616/DSCF7050_zpse7f30237.jpg

On the back of the above assembly is a drop resistor. I'm not sure exactly what it does, but you will need one or else you will get a cel. You can pull one off a 1st gen w/4EAT. I think I also read that if you don't have the ebc you can substitute a drop resistor in its place to avoid the cel, but of course then you would need an manual boost controller (mbc). To verify this you would have to do a little research.http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn41/henry616/DSCF7051_zpscab51162.jpg

Here is the aluminum MAF (you can also see where the solenoid assembly sits on the passenger strut tower: http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn41/henry616/DSCF7052_zps81685726.jpg

Here is the canister. You can see that it has three lines unlike the n/a canister with two lines. Also the aux purge control valve can be seen. It has a third line that attaches to the bottom that you can't see in the pic. Maybe a setup from a WRX would work but I have no idea or experience with that: http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn41/henry616/DSCF7053_zps7cabaa7c.jpg

You could get around using the ebc and possibly the bcs my installing a manual boost controller. But you might get a cel. I have heard installing the drop resistor will also help getting around that but I don't remember exactly.

How much of the air intake do you have? Do you have the black resonator box that connects to the MAF elbow? If not it's no biggie as you can make what is known as the coffee can mod. Basically it is a 3" pipe with the PCV connection, the connection to the aux purge control calve, and a line to the bcs. It also helps with better air flow, makes the turbo and bov louder, and a little increase in performance.

ahhhhhh pictures.......there we go. iu've been looking most of it up. its really not hard to find things for this motor. lots that i can pull from at shops. also most shops around here i can buy replacment parts for not that much. ya i'd prefer not to have a CEL on. i want to get it up and running stock then start adding the performce too it. obviously thouigh getting "replacement" parts that are better and more suitable for a larger turbo and more if the prices are the same which some of them are. so ya i don't have a donor car....but hey we are all subaru nerds here...and im sure we all enjoy a little challenge. im just a kid here too making money and looking for a project ha i got all the time in the world lol

Archived