LegacyGT.com

Exhaust leak by headers

So I was installing new headers on my 05 legacy gt and a piece of threading where manifold attaches to heads cracked off so there is no way to put a new bolt in and secure the headers on tightly. I was curious what would be needed to be done. Would I need to goto a machine shop to weld on new threading?

The place where the stud threads in chipped and fell off so the stud has nowhere to thread into

Thats not too terrible you may be able to re-thread the existing hole to the stock stud size if that fails you can use a heli-coil.

Well that would require drilling into the cylinder heads.! Which I'd rather not do ha. I was thinkin I could get someone to weld the old chunk of the threading back on and if that would hold. B/c also of I did the helicoil the exhaust still wouldn't sit right cuz it is still missing that huge chunk

• I Donated Too

What on earth did you do?!!!?

Welding may be a rough way to resolve this on the car and depending on the damage may not be that effective, it's not like you can weld the backside. Can you take pictures and show us?

Haha I didn't do anything it just cracked and there was no bolt there haha. But I took it to a friend who owns an exhaust shop who is really good at welding and he said it wouldn't be that effective b/c it's aluminum so I think I am going to have to replace the heads altogether.... Any thoughts?

Wow all these day's and know one has used the correct terms.

You broke the stud off. You well need to find a good repair shop and hopefully have them use a easy out to remove the rest of the stud.

They may need to put a insert in there for the new stud.

I guessing you didn't use any PB Blaster before you did this.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• I Donated Too

Max you think he just snapped the stud? With no pictures we can't be sure but he sure sounds like it's more than just the stud... ????

Exhaust shop has no tig welder? But yes, the heads being replaced is a better long term fix IF this is far more than just the stud.

the best way is to drill it out,tap it, and insert a heli-coil

Right that's what the fix will be.

Max you think he just snapped the stud? With no pictures we can't be sure but he sure sounds like it's more than just the stud... ????

Exhaust shop has no tig welder? But yes, the heads being replaced is a better long term fix IF this is far more than just the stud.

I can't believe the head is cracked there from just removing the manifold, even if the stud broke.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 5 years later...
Can anyone help me ? Ive change my stock headers on my legacy 2005 gt and got The brand Manzo performance headers so they came with gaskets and bolts when i went to put them on the gaskets were poor quality and the bolts didnt even fit so my dumbass mechanic did what he does the best put some random ass bolt and messed up the threads so ive been try to find a solution i heard try the Time inserts and i did and its still leaking could it be headers are poor quality or just poor job ?

Can anyone help me ? Ive change my stock headers on my legacy 2005 gt and got The brand Manzo performance headers so they came with gaskets and bolts when i went to put them on the gaskets were poor quality and the bolts didnt even fit so my dumbass mechanic did what he does the best put some random ass bolt and messed up the threads so ive been try to find a solution i heard try the Time inserts and i did and its still leaking could it be headers are poor quality or just poor job ?
Headers are sub-par quality and flanges aren't flat. Keep OEM exhaust manifold or buy a quality header.

Archived