LegacyGT.com

Your OWN innovations that actually HELP performance in some way

It would seem that I've caused quite an uproar by posting a photo of my car with my splitter on it. It appears that there are quite a few that feel that "it doesn't look nice" or to quote a so-called Moderator of this enthusiast association:

Hipsterdoofus-"that shit looks stupid". Then there's always dudeonacouch with his infamous "You should paint glittery pink fish graphics on it"

And of course, not to be left out, Penguin's "Nice snow plow. Where do you mount the salt spreader?"

So I decided to put up this thread to see just exactly what you've actually innovated yourself that improves the performance of your own car. This is not to include bolt-ons that Cobb or Perrin or AVO or someone else has already done all of the research on, but actual innovations that YOU personally have come up with, fabricated, installed, and proven with hard data that make the car faster or handle better or get better gas mileage etc.

Now I suppose I could worry about taking out the yellow reflectors from my headlights (worth about 4 hp per side I'm sure) and while I have them open, I could paint them black too (OBVIOUS handling increasing by having them black inside and I'm positive the extra weight of all that black paint will certainly make it turn in better), or I could get some garage door seal and put about 400 wood screws up under my front bumper cover to make a half-assed lip that doesn't look correct, doesn't fit correctly, does absolutely nothing for the actual performance, but I would certainly feel good about it because I did it myself for under $20. I could even unbolt my mufflers at the Y pipe and put a couple of washers in between the pipes and the mufflers to make an exhaust leak so I could get that "boxer rumble" and make everyone believe that I had something I don't. I do actually think that this mod has a little merit however, as it most likely does help low end punch a tiny bit by allowing the exhaust to flow a bit more freely.

Now I've read a lot of the different threads and I've seen some truly incredible innovative things that actually do improve the performance of the vehicle. Cutting the center out of the grille and putting in mesh helps with cooling, A/C condenser protection, and looks good to boot. Cutting a hole in the rear deck and putting in a port to increase bass response is a performance increase for the people that love their stereos. Seeing a couple of the engine swaps going on, especially the one with the V-6, are more innovative and work than I would want to tackle but seeing the end results is very cool.

I've also read a lot of threads seeing people who don't know something and are willing to ask a question to find something out, be completely ridiculed by all of the so-called experts on here. It's no wonder why some of them never come back.

So, post your innovations on here if you dare to take the wrath of the dull and ignorant who just might say "that shit looks stupid" without even knowing how or why you came up with the idea. I'm sure many of you have good ideas and good execution but as with most on this forum, if it doesn't "look" really good, then obviously it can't be of any value whatsoever.

Here are my photos that have caused such a stir. Criticize if you must, like it or don't, frankly, I really don't give a rat's patoot, but show me what YOU have done. One thing I can promise is that I'll do my best to look at every single thing posted, and if I like it, I'll say so. If I don't, I'll also say so. The other thing I can promise is that my responses will be done with respect to your work, your idea, your results. That appears to be something that some of the members of this association can't seem to be able to do themselves.

958307743_PreppedSubaruGrille2.JPG.f96da8a1986285fdb509f0cb776900ee.JPG

944322940_FinishedSubaruGrille.JPG.acc2d3593b6dd0050daf44d8bd47f27f.JPG

635165632_Grilleinstalled2.JPG.e1f2cfec5449139641eb366455f0b2f2.JPG

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, flip flops that flip or flop slow things down. Securing them to your feet and making them into driving shoes makes as much or more sense that putting a front splitter/snow plow on the front of a family sedan.

OP, you still have no hard data that proves that this helps. If it did actually increase your lap times, it hurt performance or you drove worse. If it helped, it's likely that you were more confident about downforce and hit the brakes later and turned harder. You have no "hard data" per se as you have no way to prove that you were driving the car at its limit before. It's essentially a braking and cornering equivalent of a butt dyno.

Finally....it only took 18 replies to actually see someone that did something that was innovative. Instead, it's a bunch of mouth running and no ass to back them. I applaud MasAyinde's insight in making an different intercooler work so that you aren't married to the damn standard LGT turbo/intercooler combo. I would love to see photos because I'm going to be doing some upgrades there in the future and if it works well and gives a lot of versatility in being able to put a BB turbo on, then I'm sure it was absolutely worth it.

It is now harsh to observe that by the OP's own admission his modifications hurt performance and increased his lap times?

Well sorry. Cosmetics aside I seriously doubt any affect on performance has been made, and if we go by the OP's increase of lap times by 2 seconds claimed in a previous thread performance has been hurt.

Archived