LegacyGT.com

Cleaning Leather Seats

Just picked up an 05 LGT and the front passenger seat has a slight dark discoloration on the leather. Not sure if the previous owner spilled something or what exactly it is. Was thinking about picking up som #00 Steel wool with some degreaser and going from there.

Thanks

Personally, I would go through the non-abrasive leather cleaners first.

Congrats on your new car.

Yup, least agressive first (leather cleaning product like Pinnacle, Zymol, Mothers, Wolfgang, etc.), and then step it up as needed. It takes longer but is less likely to cause further damage.

You could PM OCDetails for specific cleaning tips as well.

Steel wool????? NOOOOOO!!! LOL!

Try this; Get a couple of packages of Mr. Clean magic erasers, the ones without soap or chemical in them. Get a bucket of luke warm water to rinse them out with. Clean them gently and they WILL LOOK NEW! Hit them with leather conditioner as soon as they dry. Let me know, you're gonna be amazed.

+1'for magic eraser, also baby wipes are awesome. They leave no residue and can clean up some sticky gross messes from any auto interior surface. I use baby wipes as my first attack on any interior mess, from there I'm either all clean and done or need to brake out a heavy cleaner.

just dont go nuts scubbing you'll take the dye off the leather

I learned this the hard way, fortunately it was on my driver side seat which is already destroyed. I just used Meguiars leather seat cleaner and an interior brush then used the conditioner afterwards.

God created turbo lag to give V8s a chance

Steel wool????? NOOOOOO!!! LOL!

Try this; Get a couple of packages of Mr. Clean magic erasers, the ones without soap or chemical in them. Get a bucket of luke warm water to rinse them out with. Clean them gently and they WILL LOOK NEW! Hit them with leather conditioner as soon as they dry. Let me know, you're gonna be amazed.

i use 00 or higher on interiors. takes grime right off. but Iwill try the Mr. Clean.

This isn't a Legacy, but the principle is the same. Locally you can get a nylon brush and an upholstery cleaner like Tuff Stuff and get quite a bit done. If you want really good leather cleaner then you pretty much have to order it online. I haven't found anything locally that really works. Or you could go to a leather shop and they probably have something, but it is going to be either more pricy or just crappy stuff like Lexol or something. Tuff Stuff and a nylon carpet brush works wonders. Trust me on that one.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

The other night when I detailed the inside, I actually got the stain off the front pass. seat. Some degreaser and #0000 steel wool. Ill take a picture of the interior, doesnt look 8 years old, thats for sure.

Glad it worked out for you. I can't say that it was the safest route to go through. Degreaser has the tendency to stain leather and steel wool has the tendency to do a lot of damage as well. You need to treat leather like you would your skin, because that is essentially what it is. Subaru doesn't use the highest quality leather in the world, so scuffing it up and using acidic degreasers is not the way to care for it. It is, however, a great way to dry it out and cause a lot of damage that doesn't show up right away.

OCDETAILS BLOG

• 6 months later...
It depends on what the dirt is made of. If you have a spray leather cleaner which is thin enough to get into the perforations then you could just soak them and then use a vacuum to suck the dirt out. That actually works pretty well. There are foaming upholstery cleaners like Tuff Stuff which work well on that kind of thing. Not exactly the process I would follow every time, but in a pinch it works well to deep clean something that has become excessively dirty. Give that a shot and see how it works. Toothpicks are another suggestion. Poke the perforations with a toothpick and that loosens the dirt up. Then hit it with Tuff Stuff and suck it out.

OCDETAILS BLOG

what is your favorite leather cleaner/conditioner if ordering online? I've used Meguiars leather cleaner/conditioner and it is ok, it makes the seats really slippery.

I've also just used Meguiars quick interior detailer.

For cleaning Meguiars D103apc mixed 10:1 ratio and soft brush, then wipe with a cloth.

This is for a 2005 Legacy GT limited with black leather

Honestly for perforated leather seats it doesn't get much better than a gel. Poorboy's Leather Stuff works great. It is mostly a cleaner, but it does a pretty good job conditioning too. The cleaning is probably what your seats need more than anything though. It is worth picking up.

OCDETAILS BLOG

• 1 month later...
Chemical guys makes the best leather cleaner and conditioner I have ever seen. Comes in a kit with both for around $30. Takes year old stains, coffee, ink, you name it out. Then conditions to a non-greasy finish thats super luxurious.

Silly question, but I don't have leather seats in my Subie so don't know. But in other leather-clad cars I've owned, and still own, you can take the seat coverings off. One that comes to mind had cleverly hidden zippers. Its much easier to do a proper job cleaning them this way.

I'm not sure how taking the seat coverings off would make them easier to clean. What would be your process for that? It seems to me that cleaning the leather while it is stretched flat across the seat would be the easiest way to go. Most leather upholstery is not something that is removable unless it was installed aftermarket in a kit. They have a leather seat cover kit for the Corolla that you can remove, I know that. And a couple vehicles I've owed do have zippers on them, but I wouldn't ever think that removing the upholstery would make it easier to clean by hand.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I think you'd be past the point of diminishing returns if you went that route. It could take hours to remove the seats, pull the leather off, clean it, and then try to reassemble everything. And again, most seats aren't meant to have the leather removed and replaced easily, so it isn't going to be practical for very many cars. That is good 'out of the box' thinking though. :)

OCDETAILS BLOG

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Does anybody know of a good leather dye?

So I was cleaning the driver's side seat belt of my car a day ago with some heavy duty degreaser. I then accidentally placed a dirty tissue with degreser on top of the driver's seat and now theres a white stain in the leather of the seat. Does anybody know of a good dye to fix this problem?

Thanks

Archived