LegacyGT.com

Cheapest clutch options, and rear diff.

so I've mentioned my clutch slipping and my diff noises already in other posts, Now I'm wondering whic would be the cheapest way to rebuild, I've done searches and maybe overlooked some older threads but thats ok! haha.

I do my own work on my cars, so labor isnt an issue, Would it be cheapest to rebuild the stock diff with new internals? and has anyone found a cheap and/or good performing clutch kit.I'm either going to go cheap on the whole build (under 1000$) or do a 6mt swap.:spin: and at the moment I'm kinda thinking i should save money for the upcoming winter -__- but i want that 6mt sooo hard hahahaha.:wub:

One thing ive been wondering for a while(and i bring this up because someone is selling one for 200$ in town) is, Does this have the same clutch as the standard WRX, i havnt found any matching part #.

You guys rock :p

FLAME ON!

You will most likely find the best information in the "transmissions" forum.

I would say rebuilding the diff is likely to be cheaper in parts, if you are confident you know and can replace what is wrong. If it has to be professionally rebuilt, I would say sourcing a junk yard replacement is likely cheaper.

Cheap and good performing don't generally go in the same sentance. The clutches are not cheap for these cars. If you have never done a clutch before, you will still have the dual mass flywheel which is generally not reused.

What year WRX is the clutch from? You may be able to buy a WRX single mass flywheel to match the clutch, and run that matched pair. Be sure to replace the throwout bearing, and check for any damage on the transmission "snout."

Personally, I got a 07+ LGT single mass flywheel and clutch kit for ~650ish from fred beans parts.

I'm confident in my skills, I just haven't been able to find parts numbers for the internals. I'd like to gut the diff completely if that would be cheaper then buying new.

I was informed that the clutch was done at a dealership near 20,000 miles ago. I havnt had time to stop by the local one and check the records yet. If it went bad that quickly i may get them to source me stock parts.

The WRX clutch is for an 07, i can pick that up for the 200, and most likely a flywheel for 300 ontop of that. I dont see any problems with this option unless there is some subtle difference I'm missing.

Junk yard parts are hard to come by up here for these cars and i have to pay crazy shipping charges on them. I'd rather buy new internals and do it right myself then have some dealership work on my things.

The cheap/performance are 2 different roads and i understand that, I'm just checking both options. I've checked the transmission forums and PROBABLY should have posted this in there but I spaced that out while trolling in the model forums.

Personally, I got a 07+ LGT single mass flywheel and clutch kit for ~650ish from fred beans parts.

Hows that one treating you, I've usually gone with sachs in the past for most of my trucks and cars, I put an exeddy in my last LGT and it was pretty good mated to a refinished stock FW.

I just got a rear diff for $336 shipped. There are some out there for around $420 shipped.

I had a buddy rebuild the 5mt new synchro's and a 3rd/4th gear.

I have a Spec 2+ clutch and their LWFW in the car since about 72,000 miles.

You can use a WRX single mass FW, that is what most people do.

Here check out my thread for some info you may be able to use.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/got-news-today-161677.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I just got a rear diff for $336 shipped. There are some out there for around $420 shipped.

I had a buddy rebuild the 5mt new synchro's and a 3rd/4th gear.

I have a Spec 2+ clutch and their LWFW in the car since about 72,000 miles.

You can use a WRX single mass FW, that is what most people do.

Here check out my thread for some info you may be able to use.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/got-news-today-161677.html

Thanks for the info and the link. Do you know any prices or part numbers for the synchros and gears?

you say i can use the single mass FW from the WRX, mainly im wondering if the clutch/pressure plate/TOB are all the same as well?

I dont believe im looking for a Used diff right now, i think id rather buy new internals or just a whole new one for a bit more, as well as any shipping quote youve gotten they will most likely add 100$ onto just for me being in alaska.

if anyone knows sources for part numbers for the diff and gearbox, I've been looking for them and failing.

BAC5.2, Phil has been a big help to me with p/n's. He also knows trannys pretty well.

I'm sure he'll pick up on this thread soon.

I do have the receipt for all the tranny parts, just not with me right now.

I would still do a web search for a r160 rear diff and see what pop's up. That's how I found mine.

Judging by how much the tranny parts cost even with a 25% discount, I got hooked up with the parts guy at the dealer throught my Insurance agent it was still pretty expensive.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I had my rear diff rebuilt and it cost about half the price of a new one. Most of the parts had no history of ever being ordered in North America, as far as Subaru could tell. The pinion bearings have no third party supplier, either. So, those will be coming from Japan. Good luck with that. Bad timing.

You'll want to do both pinion bearings, both carrier bearings and retainers. My retainers had to be chiseled off and the new ones sealed with silicone because of the rough mating surfaces. Of course, I didn't find out about the silicone requirement until it was back in the car and made a mess of my driveway.

I'll see if I can find the actual part numbers used.

I'm going OEM 07+ clutch and single mass flywheel for $530 from FBP when I have my clutch done in the next month or so. 103K on the stocker (bone stock car) and it's still holding. When I have the new clutch in I'll be a Stage 2 wagooon. I wanted cheap but something that would still hold the powah. I don't drag and I don't race/autox.

Stoplight, I am LOVING your avatar today. Loving Dallas as well :lol:

I'm confident in my skills, I just haven't been able to find parts numbers for the internals. I'd like to gut the diff completely if that would be cheaper then buying new.

I was informed that the clutch was done at a dealership near 20,000 miles ago. I havnt had time to stop by the local one and check the records yet. If it went bad that quickly i may get them to source me stock parts.

The WRX clutch is for an 07, i can pick that up for the 200, and most likely a flywheel for 300 ontop of that. I dont see any problems with this option unless there is some subtle difference I'm missing.

Junk yard parts are hard to come by up here for these cars and i have to pay crazy shipping charges on them. I'd rather buy new internals and do it right myself then have some dealership work on my things.

The cheap/performance are 2 different roads and i understand that, I'm just checking both options. I've checked the transmission forums and PROBABLY should have posted this in there but I spaced that out while trolling in the model forums.

Hows that one treating you, I've usually gone with sachs in the past for most of my trucks and cars, I put an exeddy in my last LGT and it was pretty good mated to a refinished stock FW.

I love it, car shifts as it should now. I strongly perfer Exedy clutches over Sachs, possibly just because i've used them in many past vehicles. Dump the Dual mass flywheel. I actually find the clutch pedal to have a slightly softer less notchy feel now. It did have 85k miles on it though.

Thanks for this, it may be an option, ive looked around but searching i only get info on the 6mt swap, i cant find anywhere that tells me if the 07 wrx has the same ratio for the 05 LGT:spin: should i also grab his stock FW and that stock clutch here in town? who bill would be under 400 for the rebuild without gears and tranny internals.

Still searching for part numbers for gears and synchros as well.

Manual 07 WRX is 3.700, auto is 3.900. LGT 5MT is 4.111, 5EAT is 3.272.

So id need to convert the used 3.700 that stoplight linked(havnt been able to find p# for gearing change)to 4.111 anyways so that just makes me want to replace the internals all the more if I'm going to have to replace some.:spin: weeeeeeeeee. hmmmm. I dono.

Who thinks i should just order up the r160 3.700!?

I thionk your going to want to go to your local dealer for the correct p/n's for the gears. IMO they are not going to be cheap.

I talked with Ryan T at Fred Beans he and their guy at the warehouse convinced me it was better to talk with my local parts guy's to make sure I got the right piece to have the 5mt rebuilt by my buddy.

Talk to them and see if they will give you some kind of a discount. The guy's there can show you the pictures and you can make sure what your getting. It's really the safest way to buy oem parts.

I put my tranny in back in the car last last night, I'll finish hooking up the top of it, if it ever stop's raining.

I thionk your going to want to go to your local dealer for the correct p/n's for the gears. IMO they are not going to be cheap.

I talked with Ryan T at Fred Beans he and their guy at the warehouse convinced me it was better to talk with my local parts guy's to make sure I got the right piece to have the 5mt rebuilt by my buddy.

Talk to them and see if they will give you some kind of a discount. The guy's there can show you the pictures and you can make sure what your getting. It's really the safest way to buy oem parts.

I put my tranny in back in the car last last night, I'll finish hooking up the top of it, if it ever stop's raining.

Tell us all how it feels when you get it back together!

Confirmed buy on clutch and FW.

I'd gladly go to a dealership and talk with someone about it, I just dont have time, I work 14 hour nights 7 days a week and am basically asleep when i am not at work haaha, if nothing else ill just run these gears untill august when i get time off :/

Archived