LegacyGT.com

Interesting oil light behavior during startup

I've noticed since the weather started to get a little colder that my oil light was staying on longer that I liked when I would start the car in the morning. This has been going on for about two weeks now and on a fluke I wound up backing into my drive way the other day. When I started my car next morning I noticed the light clicked off almost instantly. So when I got home the next day I backed in again; following morning same result and ... The only difference between pulling in to my drive way and backing in is that the drive way has at max a 5 degree pitch. Seemed unusual to me that that would have an impact, but it apparently does. Has anyone noticed anything like that previously on their LGT? If so might it be a precursor to something? One other Oil light thing that happens on occasion is when I kick it in to neutral, say on the highway, very rarely the oil light clicks on I tap the gas and it goes right off, but since it's the oil light it freaks me out a little. I know I should swing it by the shop, but who has the time and I usually like to do my own work, so anyone think this might be something more severe? fun facts: I replaced the oil pressure switch a couple of months ago due to the light clicking on when I put it in neutral, but it didn't go away. I tried the mazda RX9 filter for a while but am back to Subaru OEM I run Mobil 1 5W 30. Thanks.

The dash oil light is supposedly a fail light. Meaning your likely in deep sh!t already if you see it flashing on or your basically running very low on oil. Are you regularly checking your oil level?

Mobil1 5w30 is a notoriously bad choice of oil for our cars too.

I check my oil every other fill up religiously, I barely loose a drop between oil changes, Mobil 1 suits the card fine in my opinion. There is no noticeable difference in how the car runs from the first time this occurred through this morning, and there is only 30k on the new motor and turbo in there already. I understand the light, and the first time it happened I went through every check I could think of before attempting to turn the car over again. I'm fairly confident the engine is not being damaged as if it was it would be toast already... A Subaru tech noticed it when backing up the car after doing some work on it and pointed to a bad switch as being the likely culprit, which is why I changed it, I used a factory part, but I'm thinking it may still be bad or there could be a problem in the wiring. Everything I've read about that light in killing engine scenarios the second it kicks on people get "the knock" and everything goes to pieces from there. I wish I could reproduce the event so I could hook up a pressure gauge to it and see what the psi is at the time the light clicks on, but as it's sporadic it makes that more or less impossible... Not really constructive comments, but thanks anyway...

Mobil-1 is bad for our engines. The facts are there. Just start reading them. It has nothing to do with opinion.

My 1990 Ford F-150 would do the same thing with the oil light...... It was low oil.

When you ask questions over the internet, we aren't able to diagnose your problem to a tee, so you are going to get some comments about needing a new engine.

Sounds like you already got a new engine. SOA warranty? Maybe you should just take it back to the same dealer that noticed the issue and advised you to fix it by buying a new part that didn't actually fix your problem.

if there's a crack anywhere on the tube, and the oil level is BELOW it, there will be a loss in pressure. if the oil level is at or above it, the suction pressure will be restored. based on slight grades and driving habits, there's a chance the oil level sloshes and maybe ends up momentarily below the potential crack. it's a possibility, maybe not the first thing i'd suspect but you already replaced the switch...maybe you should get an oil pressure gauge and monitor for any drops in pressure for realsies.

Just to try and help out, when you go around a corner at a decent speed, does the oil light flicker on as well?

You described that if you kick it into neutral on the highway (5EAT mind you), why on earth you would do that I don't know, and you put it back into gear and give it gas it will go away... Try going around a corner at a decent rate of speed and see if the light comes on.

Yeah, pulling mad G's, or I kick it into neutral, yes 5mt, as I head to the tolls and I just coast as I like to see how much MPG i can get. I average 25.2 over 5k miles, which from what I see is pretty good. I've never noticed it on corners, though I don't drive fast, I'll give it a try, it does happen more often in reverse than forward though, I'm thinking it may be a wonky oil pump. I tend not to play with timing on an interference engine so I'm probably going to have to pay to find out. I appreciate that I'm not going to get a diagnosis on line, I don't expect to, just poking around to see if anyone has experienced anything similar. My time is valuable, I hope everyone else views theirs as such, people can spend their time however they choose, just don't see the value trolling around a forum looking to make relatively useless responses, that's all. Thanks for the constructive info offered.

Yeah, pulling mad G's, or I kick it into neutral, yes 5mt, as I head to the tolls and I just coast as I like to see how much MPG i can get. I average 25.2 over 5k miles, which from what I see is pretty good. I've never noticed it on corners, though I don't drive fast, I'll give it a try, it does happen more often in reverse than forward though, I'm thinking it may be a wonky oil pump. I tend not to play with timing on an interference engine so I'm probably going to have to pay to find out. I appreciate that I'm not going to get a diagnosis on line, I don't expect to, just poking around to see if anyone has experienced anything similar. My time is valuable, I hope everyone else views theirs as such, people can spend their time however they choose, just don't see the value trolling around a forum looking to make relatively useless responses, that's all. Thanks for the constructive info offered.

You're welcome. Our responses are legit. Go elsewhere if you think our responses are worthless.

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, I'm from MA too so I know default behavior is to assume everyone is being sarcastic / a prick. Some of your responses were legit/constructive and I was legitimately thanking you for those. besides that I do love the site, super informative and some of the irreverent stuff is completely worth while. Thanks everyone else again for some of the info, before I head to the dealer I'll check the pickup line. Thanks again, Chris As an aside, is that little italian sandwich shop still up and running in Waltham? They used to make their own bread and close for the day when they ran out, had really obscure hours besides that as well, best aronchini...

Never heard of that joint. The dealer can't check the pickup tube unless they drop the oil pan, which is a process. I suggest before doing this to get an oil pressure gauge to determine if your oil pressure is in fact dropping, and that the light isn't erroneously coming on. If the oil pressure is dropping then I'd look into the mechanics of oil delivery. Pickup tube failures were commonly in the 05-06 year turbo subarus.

Had some time to look into this this after noon while a long job was running and the oil pickup tube is definitely looking like a strong culprit. Sweet, i hate unbolting an engine so I may pay to have this swapped out anyway, but just got quoted $180 for the labor and $40 for the parts so it's not that bad. I'm pretty excited, been looking into this for a while, and finally found a problem that fits all of the symptoms. It even makes sense why the incline of the driveway had an affect on the light, clearly when parked slightly facing down hill the crack is submerged so there is no sucking when the car turns over. Of course now I'm going to be paranoid the whole ride home, but still happy to know. Thanks Everyone!

let off the gas while turning

and going uphill :lol:

thats not a bad price at all. maybe tow it there.....and make sure they check the oil itself for any glitter or shiny debris, if there's any, leave the pan off and pull the motor out.

Mobil-1 is bad for our engines. The facts are there. Just start reading them. It has nothing to do with opinion.

My 1990 Ford F-150 would do the same thing with the oil light...... It was low oil.

When you ask questions over the internet, we aren't able to diagnose your problem to a tee, so you are going to get some comments about needing a new engine.

Sounds like you already got a new engine. SOA warranty? Maybe you should just take it back to the same dealer that noticed the issue and advised you to fix it by buying a new part that didn't actually fix your problem.

I've been running Mobil One 5/30 for close to 140K miles. No problem so far.

Again, can't thank everyone enough. I expected a hairline crack at or below the bend, turns out it was much bigger and near the joint. But sure enough the Subaru guys thought I was crazy asking to have such an "obscure" part replaced, lo and behold it was cracked; they also said they had never seen one break before after the part was out and they realized I was right.

They didn't say anything else was off with the oil or the engine so hopefully there isn't any damage, but I suppose time will tell.

As an fyi to any other subie owners, obscure oil light behavior can only come down to a couple of things and if it's not the oil pressure switch, next check should be the pickup. I did go with the Subaru replacement part as I read the issue had been corrected. part number was 15049AA110 and parts and labor came to ~$225 in Maine + 4.5 quarts of oil to replace what has to be drained.

Thanks again,

Chris

422252923_oilpickup.thumb.jpg.e3fdaada8360654b0c4b2b2cd9cd7868.jpg

He said he's hopeful there isn't other damage, but time will tell.

If it holds power and doesn't eat oil then you could be in the clear. A compression test is probably a good idea, next time you do plugs maybe. I don't get why you didn't upgrade the part though.

Archived