LegacyGT.com

Suspension work time. Help/suggestions?

joeleodee

As my 2005 lgt is nearing 80k miles, I'm noticing more and more the need to not only replace, but upgrade certain suspension components. The suspension is completely bone stock.

Here's the issues. On tight turns I hear a loud clunking and sometimes when engaging into gear under higher than normal load. As well, sometimes, I hear the clunk on downshifts. I haven't ruled out the tranny mount. Another issue is there is a slight shimmy at highway cruise speeds. Searching only yields several threads from 5th gens having shimmy issues so I'm wondering what this is caused by on the 4th gens.

Remember, everything is still stock at 80k so it's no surprise that these parts are aging. Afaik, nothing had been changed previously and all the original parts still reside.

My goal in upgrading is 'better than stock handling for the twisties, stock or just slightly lower ride height, and eliminating squat.

For sure, I'm going to be replacing sway bars, but based on the issues I presented, what are the components that need immediate attention and what are your recommendations for upgrading?

LCA bushings, struts(go with konis), check ball joints and tie rods for play, replace with factory replacements. sway bar endlinks and bushings are due for replacement too.

I take it that this is the koni set you recommend?

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/koni-subaru-legacy-gt-sport-absorbers.html

What lca bushings have people had good results with? I've been saving my subaru rewards bucks for a while so pretty much anything at fred beans I can get at no cost. They had several options as well as a large selection of Avo suspension products. I'm looking into upgraded sway bars and end links as well.

187k, new lca bushings, end links, everything else still stock. still working fine too.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

whiteline for the LCA bushings. they're listed as "Anti-Lift Kit". they come with offset bushings which will let you dial in up to an extra 0.5* of caster which should help with your straight line stability.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I'll definitely be pulling the trigger on the Konis and WL bushings.

As for sways and endlinks, looks like my choices include the AVO lineup, Hotchkis, and Whiteline.

Hotchkis seems to be the least expensive with AVO at the to of the price category.

Should I mess with lowering springs? I'd want no more than 1 inch lower, but I don't really mind stock ride height

187k, new lca bushings, end links, everything else still stock. still working fine too.

I find it hard to imagine that struts/shocks could be working anything like new after 190k miles. My bumpstops were polished to a mirror like finish after 60k miles on my stock struts. Maybe I'm just a Duke of Hazzard. :lol:

We have had a lot of issues with Epics here in the Northeast. They clunk pretty badly and we need to re-grease them for our customers every time they come in for an oil change. :(

I've been very let down by the Epic springs for the 05-09 LGTs.

-Mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg Call directly for your best Whiteline Price! | We also carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

"Clunk" You mean springs tapping together outside the isolators? Or the fact that re-using OEM top has on the east coast does not work as well as it does on the West coast? Because rear top hats love to make noise in cold weather after they have beeen seated into OEM springs for a while?

30k+ on the Epics on my wifes 5EAT. Zero issues. Also, on the new batch, Eibach went back to the black isolator (from the Pro-Kit), not the clear one found on the first batch of Epics.

I have heard rumor of the "clunk" Mike, but never encountered it personally. Installed tons of Epics (even put 30k on my own car using them as a test). But I admit if driving too hard for conditions (east coast roads are Bad) and you have weaker struts it would be easy enough to fully droop and then compress an Epic to the point of tapping coils together that would normally not touch. Just have never been able to replicate the sound that I have read about.

Okay, let's see here. My setup based on some suggestions will be as follows. Hotchkis swaybars (bushings included) with the kartboy endlinks. Koni struts all around and the WL LCA bushings. That will exhaust my rewards bucks.

As for lowering springs, if I do decide to calm down that wheel gap, the H-techs from Tein or the Epic springs are possibilities, but leaning more towards the epics. M Sprank, if you sell either of those, could you pm me a price? I'd appreciate it.

Any other suspension components that need attention such as ball joints, tie rods, etc., will be replaced with stock components.

Based on this setup, it should give me a smooth ride tolerable for a daily driver, reduce squat, and deliver noticeable increase in performance around the corners, not to mention taking care of the clunks that I'm experiencing. Anything I missed?

• 1 year later...

Had some issues tuning my car, but now I'm doing it myself so I'm not relying on someone else's schedule. That means by this springtime, I should be able to get into my suspension work.(I don't like 2 projects on one vehicle at once. :spin:) I guess I'm still making some decisions and here's where we stand right now. I currently have collected $1400 worth of subaru bucks to be used at Fred Beans Parts.

Already in Possession

-Cobb front and rear sway bars. (I liked the hotchkis, but couldn't find them anywhere so I found these used. Yes, I know they are the same)

-Tein H tech lowering springs

- AVO Subaru Steering Shaft Mount Bushing Kit

Parts I'm Considering Adding

-Whiteline anti-lift kit (front LCA bushings)

-AVO rear bar reinforcement bracket

-Kartboy endlinks

-Bilstein Suspension conversion kit (includes tophats, hardware, etc.)

Does this sound like a pretty good setup for good daily street manners and added performance when called upon? Is there anything else anyone would recommend? I originally had my eyes on the Konis, but thought that since funds allowed, might as well step up to the bilsteins. Are they, in fact, a step up?

Had some issues tuning my car, but now I'm doing it myself so I'm not relying on someone else's schedule. That means by this springtime, I should be able to get into my suspension work.(I don't like 2 projects on one vehicle at once. :spin:) I guess I'm still making some decisions and here's where we stand right now. I currently have collected $1400 worth of subaru bucks to be used at Fred Beans Parts.

Already in Possession

-Cobb front and rear sway bars. (I liked the hotchkis, but couldn't find them anywhere so I found these used. Yes, I know they are the same)

-Tein H tech lowering springs

- AVO Subaru Steering Shaft Mount Bushing Kit

Parts I'm Considering Adding

-Whiteline anti-lift kit (front LCA bushings)

-AVO rear bar reinforcement bracket

-Kartboy endlinks

-Bilstein Suspension conversion kit (includes tophats, hardware, etc.)

Does this sound like a pretty good setup for good daily street manners and added performance when called upon? Is there anything else anyone would recommend? I originally had my eyes on the Konis, but thought that since funds allowed, might as well step up to the bilsteins. Are they, in fact, a step up?

A few notes that I would suggest. For the rear Sway bars, I would use the Whiteline Endlinks. Not that we don't love the KB stuff, but on any lowered car we have found the KB ones to be too short and cause banging.

I would also suggest the Konis over the Bilsteins because you can adjust them to your liking. The adjustments can also help you to even out an unmatched set of struts (all consumer shipped struts/coils are NOT matched sets). Also the Konis have a lifetime warranty.

Let us know if we can be of any help as we sell most of those parts.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/145749898/original.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/logos/perf1.jpg

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.

Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber |AIM: AZP Installs

Thank you very much for the suggestions. I had not heard that about the kartboy links. I will definitely change that. As for the konis, is the adjustability and lifetime warranty the major advantages over the bilstein set? What about ride quality and handling? I will look for comparisons and more reviews of both.

I do appreciate, however, that a vendor I'm not working with is giving suggestions.

Thank you very much for the suggestions. I had not heard that about the kartboy links. I will definitely change that. As for the konis, is the adjustability and lifetime warranty the major advantages over the bilstein set? What about ride quality and handling? I will look for comparisons and more reviews of both.

I do appreciate, however, that a vendor I'm not working with is giving suggestions.

Always here to help the community.

The ride on the Bil v. Koni is probably very close. The advantage of the Konis is the adjustability. You can go from Mother In Law on super soft up to tracking your car on full stiff. I've had both and prefer the Konis.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/145749898/original.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/logos/perf1.jpg

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.

Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber |AIM: AZP Installs

A few notes that I would suggest. For the rear Sway bars, I would use the Whiteline Endlinks. Not that we don't love the KB stuff, but on any lowered car we have found the KB ones to be too short and cause banging.

MikeP, as always I tremendously appreciate your input. I have the KB links on my LGT and its at the very lowest setting suggested from the factory for KWv2 and have no banging. Several canyon days AND a track day on them. Also have KB's on the OBXT (OEM struts/springs, with the spacers to make them more paralell).

What is the "banging"? Is it clunking or is it contact banging? The idea of contact freaks me out.

I do find that you have to tq the ever living sh!t out of them to get them tight enough that they do not loosen. For sure when they loosen they clunk. Am I missing something?

Archived