LegacyGT.com

Track Day with the Outback!

oldskoolbiker

Had fun passing all the WRX's and STI's

The cars very heavily modified. It's got a IAG Built engine, and performance exhaust, suspension, and brakes etc.

The car sill looks very stock looking, needless to say there were some surprised STI owners.

http://dalenet.com/track/6.JPG

http://dalenet.com/track/7.JPG

http://dalenet.com/track/8.JPG

http://dalenet.com/track/9.JPG

Here's the complete mod's list if you're interested (please don't ask how much it cost, I really don't want to think about it). Most of the engine mods were after my turbo blew and screwed up my engine. So I decided when I got it fixed, to get it built right!

Power: (313WHP 300WTQ)

Manley Platinum Forged Pistons 99.5mm

Manley Steel H-Beam Rods

ACL Race Bearing Set

Blouch 380XT Turbo

Perrin Turbo Inlet Hose

Subaru SPT Intake with Heatshield

AVO Top Mount Intercooler

Forge Recirculating Blowoff Valve

Grimmspeed 3-Port Boost Controller

Deatschwerks 650cc Top-Feed Injectors

Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump

Invidia Catted Downpipe

AVO Outback Cat Back Exaust

Killer Bee Oil Pickup

Air Pump Delete

STI Engine Mounts

Cobb Accessport V2

RalliTek Shifter Bushings

Custom Pro Tune by Jorge

Handling:

RalliTek Front and Rear Sway Bars

MOOG End Links

BC BR Coil Overs

2004 STI BBS Wheels

(Rota Torque Wheels for Track Days)

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Tires 225/55-17

(Hankook Ventus 245/45ZR-17 for Track Days)

Brakes:

Wilwood Superlite 4 Piston Calipers

Front Slotted and Vented Rotors

Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines

Hawk HPS Brake Pads

(Hawk DTC-30 Front Pads for Track Days)

ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid

Interior:

STI Gauge Kit

STI Titanium Shifter Knob

Billet Aluminum Pedal Set

Redline Leather Shift/E-Brake Boots

Painted Fake Wood to Match Car Exterior

Rubber Floor Mats

Exterior:

30% Front, 50% Rear Tinted Windows

Utility:

2 Yakima High Roller Bike Racks

1 1/4 Hitch

Awesome ! - great to see the OutBack taking it to the track. I often find many are surprised mine is as quick as it is...and it is barely more than stock.

'08 OutBack XT limited - Satin White Pearl

AVO FSB Bushings | Ralli-Tek RSB | AVO Drop-in filter

Seems like an awful lot of engine and turbo to only make 313/300. Are you still breaking it in?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I would like to know more about your coilovers. (I am curious because I have the Megan Racing ones) Are they the Outback specific? What spring rates did you go with? Did you cut down or take off your rear bump stops? What setting did you use for the track? (clicks from full hard) What setting do you use on the street? (clicks from full hard) Lastly, what is your overall impression with them?

I have done a few track days in my Outback as well. I am about the same ride height as you. For track I use I went 5 or so clicks back from full hard all around if I remember correctly....it's been awhile. I usually go full soft for street use, 32 clicks back from full hard. But after my last auto x event, I left my set up the way it was and it's working OK on the street. (20 clicks back in front and only 12 clicks back in the rear) I find that the Megan's quick bump reaction is harsh, but the slow bump is nice. Overall if the road is smooth, like most race tracks and auto x events the coilovers work really well. When the roads have lots of small bumps though, the Megans struggle.

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

Oh yeah, are you running the stock top hat's up front or camber plates? How much negative camber are you running up front?

Since I am using the stock top hats, I had to use aftermarket camber bolts to get -1.5 degrees of camber. That seems to work out OK. Also, for alignment I am running just a hair of toe out up front. In the rear I wanted zero toe, but the lame ass tech said he could not get it to go to zero....so I have a hair of toe in. It bugs me because I know that is making my car push in turns, so I have to compensate with higher tire pressures in the rear and setting my coilovers stiffer in the rear.

I did have an alignment done like 3 years ago where the tech was able to get zero toe in the rear, so I think the place I went to just did not know how to do it or something.

Sorry for the 20 questions....I just don't see many other Outback owners tracking their car so I would like to get your input.

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

Seems like an awful lot of engine and turbo to only. make 313/300. Are you still breaking it in?

Well I've got a fairly conservative tune and not running a fmic.

The reason for the built motor is my last Turbo blew and pretty much wiped out the internals of my engine.

Oh yeah, are you running the stock top hat's up front or camber plates? How much negative camber are you running up front?

Since I am using the stock top hats, I had to use aftermarket camber bolts to get -1.5 degrees of camber. That seems to work out OK. Also, for alignment I am running just a hair of toe out up front. In the rear I wanted zero toe, but the lame ass tech said he could not get it to go to zero....so I have a hair of toe in. It bugs me because I know that is making my car push in turns, so I have to compensate with higher tire pressures in the rear and setting my coilovers stiffer in the rear.

I did have an alignment done like 3 years ago where the tech was able to get zero toe in the rear, so I think the place I went to just did not know how to do it or something.

Sorry for the 20 questions....I just don't see many other Outback owners tracking their car so I would like to get your input.

The coilovers have camber plates. Really for the alignment I just took the car to Mach v and said give me an aggressive street alignment. So I couldn't tell you what degrees I'm running

Well I've got a fairly conservative tune and not running a fmic.

The reason for the built motor is my last Turbo blew and pretty much wiped out the internals of my engine.

It must be an EXTREMELY conservative tune. My stock-turbo, stock engine made 40 lb-ft more on a "conservative" tune.

Seems odd to dump that much money into the motor, and run that big a turbo, and not take advantage of it.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I make 340 lb-ft on a stock turbo/motor. I made 263whp.

It must be an EXTREMELY conservative tune. My stock-turbo, stock engine made 40 lb-ft more on a "conservative" tune.

Seems odd to dump that much money into the motor, and run that big a turbo, and not take advantage of it.

I wouldn't consider having a tune that I can run at WOT for extended periods and not have to worry about it "not taking advantage".

I've already been through the headache of my engine blowing up, I don't plan on that happening again.

I'm pretty damn happy with the car now, It's got lots of power and I know it's rock solid.

I've had a lot of headaches with my car over the last year engine wise, and like I said I don't even want to think about what I've been through. I'm happy where the car is at now, and I hope to enjoy it.

I'm sure you will. I was just curious about the combination of parts. The turbo, in particular, seemed out of place for that power level.

I bet it is a ton of fun, though.

What's your hub center-to-fender lip distance? That ride height looks great.

I'm sure you will. I was just curious about the combination of parts. The turbo, in particular, seemed out of place for that power level.

I bet it is a ton of fun, though.

What's your hub center-to-fender lip distance? That ride height looks great.

Approx 14.5 in the front, 15 in the rear. I left the rear a little higher since I load the car down with gear quite often. I've been know to take road trips with 4 mountain bikes and 4 people + gear with the car. It's truly a do it all machine.

I usually run the stock size tires and they're about an inch taller than the tires I'm running in the track photos.

That's my target too, a little higher in the front, but hovering around that 15" mark. That seems to be the sweet spot for lowered Outbacks.

Archived