LegacyGT.com

best Value for paper panel air filter

I have no illusions about getting more HP from an air filter change.

When the closest AutoZone was out of the Outback filters (except the $40 K&N), I started to look online to see what else was available. I don't want to mess with anything oiled. And I consider buying a cleaning solution for the filter as adding to the cost of the filter. Plus, is a filter which has been cleaned by my "time constrained" hand going to be cleaner than a new on off the shelf? With that in mind I'm looking at paper filters. I saw an article (repeated several times in several forums) about AC Delco filter being very good.

Has anyone here compared the AC Delco against the Subaru OEM? It's about half the cost.

I haven't but if you do lets us know! Also if you change your filter at say every 10K miles would it matter that much how "cheap" a filter is? :lol: Not hating or anything I currently run what ever is on sale at the 10K filter change interval past few times it has been Purolator.

I liked STP for best fit when i used paper air filters. Though after seeing how dirty the secondary filter behind my paper air filter was (after 100k of paper filters), I decided to try something new and went with the aem dryflow filter. I talk about it a little more in the link below

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/air-filter-cabin-air-filter-questions-help-193138.html?t=193138

I seriously considered a washable panel: AVO, AEM, etc. But there were a few factors:

1) I'm lazy. Washing a filter is just one more thing to do.

2) I change my air filter when I change my oil. About every 6K miles. Probably more often than necessary.

3) I have doubts washing a filter can get all of the dirt out

4) I don't want to wait for a filter to dry before driving my car

5) I worry that a washed filter will not filter as well as a new one

So buying a new paper filter at each change seems to satisfy these issues.

Both Amazon and RockAuto had the AC Delco air filter about double the price of the Fram. Wondering what the difference could be, I bought both and here they are.

The construction is noticeably different. From the top the most obvious difference is that the AC Delco has a support in the center in the Fram does not. Upon closer inspection the Fram has a support but, it's built differently. The AC Delco has a center spine and the pleats seem glued to it from the sides. The Fram as a center spine also but, a portion of it is cut out like a saw blade (ie. /\/\/\/\/\/\). I'm assuming this is so the the filter media can be inserted from the top. From far away they seem the same but, when looking closer the media of the AC Delco is much fluffier. The AC Delco is fluffy that the pleats touch each other. On the Fram the pleats don't touch. The glue points the Fram are compressed and each one measures about 1/4 inch. The AC Delco pleats taper to the glue points but, there are no 1/4 inch compression points. The Fram is so compressed at these points I don't think any filtering can be done and there are four of them. The AC Delco rim has cut outs so that the gasket can be seen though. Other than saving weight and cost I don't understand why those would exist. The Fram does not have the same cut outs. Final note is that the AC Delco has a "Made in Korea" stamp and the Fram has "Made in China".

It's clear these two filters did not come from the same factory line.

DSCF5954_B.thumb.jpg.e66795a6b681511f32d0471a181174bd.jpg

DSCF5955_B.thumb.jpg.5bb5abc7165e2b6c9428e4b2bf4cee9d.jpg

DSCF5956_B.thumb.jpg.901c823ace8424681cb02644219544ce.jpg

DSCF5958_B.thumb.jpg.f55fc51bf7fd97e2c4388e0e9e9cdb0b.jpg

DSCF5959_B.thumb.jpg.5a91d510b6e689d2371d24433ac8d7de.jpg

DSCF5960_A.thumb.jpg.3f6ca549c0e01dd71699e0867805314b.jpg

DSCF5961_A.jpg.a3d96786a91441be1db8396ff0fbd309.jpg

DSCF5962_A.jpg.df76435dc6c2f23a4e71012258659457.jpg

DSCF5963_A.jpg.d70b48f92894c1aa8b186b0276c866aa.jpg

DSCF5964_B.thumb.jpg.595bb80d34878e0a0beb8f9fc76f5b3e.jpg

I didn't see any curvature Apexi.

I installed the Fram just now and the filter doesn't sit in the box snug. The filter has about 1/4" to 1/2" wiggle room in there. The back part of the air box pushes against the filter tightly. I hope there's enough compression to keep the filter from vibrating.

Archived