Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Transmissions (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Gauging Interest: DIY 5EAT built rebuild kits (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170503)

F-WDC Spec B 09-23-2011 02:50 PM

My experience with rebuilds is that they can cost $2500 and up. Even if you have your mechanic help you drop the tranny that should cost about $500-600 (well i made friends with my mechanics and they let me use their lifts if they are dead, which is almsot never) you could save alot of money with this proposed kit.

BTW climber the you might be even able to sell this over seas since one of the JDM STi uses a 5EAT.

PS i dont need this since i am manual but this is a great idea.

ClimberD@HexMods 09-23-2011 05:47 PM

That's exactly it. No one marks on their calendar the day in 2012 or 2013 their transmissin will start noticeably slipping. Because you never know.

cholmes1 09-23-2011 06:17 PM

Sounds like a great project. proposed Clutch packs, a VB upgrade, and your bearings would make for a very strong 5EAT

Mill 09-24-2011 01:12 AM

I assume we would send in our worn drums to you as cores just like the VB?

underground000 09-24-2011 03:08 AM

If offered in the future I would be interested and would do this myself (I have some experience w/ autos), but I do have a hook up if I am lazy and would pay someone:lol:

I do not have the need/funds to do this anytime soon. I know this is just for gauging interest but just letting you guys know

This would be a great alternative if someone who is hesitant about the 'harsher' high rpm shifting from the Hex VB Mod. Increasing clutch packs should not have a major effect on shifting harshness, but should increase holding capabilities.

ClimberD@HexMods 09-25-2011 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mill (Post 3561930)
I assume we would send in our worn drums to you as cores just like the VB?

That is correct.

BAC5.2 09-25-2011 09:27 AM

This is a pretty good idea.

Fix the center diff, do the Valve Body, and beef up the clutches. Then what could go wrong? Torque converter? Then the rear diff?

I wouldn't mind having a 5EAT with all of those goodies (plus, the JDM paddles).

It's not cheap, but it would turn the 5EAT into a transmission suitable for a fun sports sedan. $1000 for the clutches is a perfectly fine price.

Medicinebow 09-25-2011 10:46 AM

My transmission is what scares me the most when I drive my car. I would love to install all 3 of your upgrades at once then get on the the bigger engine upgrades. Get that 08 VB done and I will throw my money at you!

Are the HexMods Center Differential Bulletproof Bushings still up for sale? After a quick scan in the thread I couldn't find an answer.

cholmes1 09-25-2011 11:21 AM

+1 regarding the bushings

doccrowley 09-25-2011 11:56 AM

subscribed

doccrowley 09-25-2011 12:07 PM

so glad I have a spare 5EAT just hanging around, waiting for your next invention.

Depending on your instructions and no need for specialty tools (???) I'd probably tackle this myself.

(As long as your instructions are much more thorough than frank-sters) hahahah.

ClimberD@HexMods 09-25-2011 05:00 PM

I really need to clean up the landscape of my vendor pages, it's on the list. The center diff bushings are available with a two-week lead time.

BTW, in October I have some exciting things in the works:
1) Getting a RacerX FMIC.
2) Bigger intake (86mm :lol:), then switching to E85 once scaled.
3) Will do things my current setup does not practically allow, such as high boost launches, and general flogging of the 5EAT with a power level closer to 400whp than 300whp.

The whole point is to push the transmission so I can say with confidence "rated to 530bhp" or whatever the end result is.

I am doing my own tuning since I want to develop that skill set. Infamous1 got my current tune most of the way there, which is really nice.

vkchu 10-18-2011 08:28 PM

very interested. maybe a package deal w/ the vb?

doccrowley 10-18-2011 10:07 PM

1/2 way throught October, how you doing on those power tests???

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClimberD@HexMods (Post 3563335)
I really need to clean up the landscape of my vendor pages, it's on the list. The center diff bushings are available with a two-week lead time.

BTW, in October I have some exciting things in the works:
1) Getting a RacerX FMIC.
2) Bigger intake (86mm :lol:), then switching to E85 once scaled.
3) Will do things my current setup does not practically allow, such as high boost launches, and general flogging of the 5EAT with a power level closer to 400whp than 300whp.

The whole point is to push the transmission so I can say with confidence "rated to 530bhp" or whatever the end result is.

I am doing my own tuning since I want to develop that skill set. Infamous1 got my current tune most of the way there, which is really nice.

ClimberD@HexMods 10-19-2011 12:08 AM

It's been slow. FMIC is here. Part of the new turbo kit just came it. Brakes are getting done at present. Work gets in the way sometimes, but I have a plan for that :)