LegacyGT.com

Hella Supertones alternatives?

mr.hicksta

Does anyone know of a solid Hella Supertones alternative? I've been running my Hella/Solecci quad setup for awhile now (thanks Xero287), but I'm curious to see what other people are running. In searching the interwebz, I've came across Stebel Natilus and Magnum horns and Drew888 mentioned looking into a Porsche 911 horn. Are there any other options I may have missed that are worth looking into? Any recommendations are appreciated!

I have 6 Supertones. I had a train horn setup that I could have stuffed inside the spare tire, but never got around to building the bracket I'd need while I had access to a sheet metal brake and a welder.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Shit....

Hornblasters got nothing on a genuine BN/Sante Fe locomotive setup, lol.

My buddy has a 5 or 7 horn piece from an actual train, talk about bleeding ears!

Self proclaimed PNW Craiglist find of the day Champion, April 2014.

My stock horn has broken so it sounds like a muted duck crossed with a Honda.

But I'm not enough of a douche to replace it with a daisy-chained set of Hellas, or a train horn. I leave that to the smoke stack Ram hemi short-dicked guys in my town.

No, thank you!;)

Edit- life is hard sometimes.

And, I would gladly illustrate my feelings directly to Hicksta and BAC, and any of the other members who I don't know who think a massive, ridiculous horn is necessary.

And, I would gladly illustrate my feelings directly to Hicksta and BAC, and any of the other members who I don't know who think a massive, ridiculous horn is necessary.

I don't think ANYONE with a train horn on their vehicle, redneck or not, believes it to be necessary. Most of the rednecks have it because they like to drive around scaring the shit out of people. I have it because I think it's hilariously disproportionate, and a fun party trick (which always gets a bunch of laughs.) Just because YouTube is full of "train horn prank" videos doesn't mean we all go around honking left and right. I use it no more than I would use my normal horn... so not much.

Not to mention this was just a byproduct of my original goal, which was to have on-board air in the car... which is probably way more useful than many of the modifications you've done to your car, and has come in handy more than once already both in helping inflate people's tires, or getting stubborn bolts off of a friend's car with a borrowed impact gun.

Who said anything about being necessary? Many mods in this very forum are not. Life is to be fun and enjoyed. Sometimes people even do goofy and utterly pointless things just to have fun.
RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

• I Donated Too
My stock horn has broken so it sounds like a muted duck crossed with a Honda.

But I'm not enough of a douche to replace it with a daisy-chained set of Hellas, or a train horn. I leave that to the smoke stack Ram hemi short-dicked guys in my town.

You're the best troll-mod evar!! Classic.

I totally agree on the horns. And Bac gets all rustled about tinted taillights "endangering motorists" meanwhile he's blasting 6 horns at grandma and the kiddies. :lol:

I've met a number people on the road who at least pretended to be too deaf to hear a normal car horn above whatever it is they're doing instead of driving. Around here if someone is laying on the horn it's probably because you appear to be attempting to occupy the same space as another solid object.

Horns should be loud as hell. Their purpose is to be obnoxious and startling. They should also be used extremely sparingly.

OTOH... I would not be amused by ultra loud horns if I lived in LA/New York/what-have-you.

I don't think ANYONE with a train horn on their vehicle, redneck or not, believes it to be necessary. Most of the rednecks have it because they like to drive around scaring the shit out of people. I have it because I think it's hilariously disproportionate, and a fun party trick (which always gets a bunch of laughs.) Just because YouTube is full of "train horn prank" videos doesn't mean we all go around honking left and right. I use it no more than I would use my normal horn... so not much.

Not to mention this was just a byproduct of my original goal, which was to have on-board air in the car... which is probably way more useful than many of the modifications you've done to your car, and has come in handy more than once already both in helping inflate people's tires, or getting stubborn bolts off of a friend's car with a borrowed impact gun.

thank you for your post.

I still believe that anyone who needs 5-10x the horn 'output' of a standard car is overcompensating for something. that's me. Maybe I'm way off base. But I'm not.

I love to read all these posts over the years about how the factory LGT horn 'just doesn't cut it' and 'I need 120-170db of horn power to tell the motorists in my area that they are doing something that I don't agree with!'

Upgrading horns are fine. The factory Legacy horn sounds like a half-assed trumpet blown by a 9 year old. *meep meep* gets the job done but doesn't shit the pants of a motorist who was thinking of moving into your lane- God forbid!

It's not the German or American 'get the **** out of my way!' horn that we envy.

So, do what you have to do to have the scariest stupidest horn on your block. I'm sure the party tricks and youtube videos will get lots of laughs and views.

Archived