LegacyGT.com

5MT Creaking

downtoearth

this has been happening for a while now, ever since i got my clutch replaced because of a bad TOB

when ever the clutch is let out a creaking noise is heard from the tranny engine area of the vehicle, almost like your stepping of a creaky wooden floor. it seems that when any amount of torque is applied to the transmission it creaks.

could this be a symptom of a bad tranny mount, or engine mount :spin:

or is the end insight? :lol:

any other idea?

5mt NA Leggy

64,000 miles around 14,000 on the clutch

Sounds like throw out bearing you might be able to pull back the boot and spray some lubricant like lithium grease straight down on the sleeve of the transmission and on the clutch fork itself.

When they replaced the clutch they probably didn't lubricate the clutch fork and center of the transmission where the TOB rides.

It is typically not advisable to spray lubricant towards your clutch disc.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Sounds like throw out bearing you might be able to pull back the boot and spray some lubricant like lithium grease straight down on the sleeve of the transmission and on the clutch fork itself.

When they replaced the clutch they probably didn't lubricate the clutch fork and center of the transmission where the TOB rides.

i will come up with some way to apply it in a controlled fashion. but yes, i will avoid the clutch disc if i choose to go that route.

i'm glad to see you don't think my tranny is gonna fall out one day.

It is typically not advisable to spray lubricant towards your clutch disc.

hey BAC, my tranny sounds rough, but it feels smooth, aside from the slow roll in 1st gear where it's jumpy when you let off the throttle. is this common in a 5mt?

hey BAC, my tranny sounds rough, but it feels smooth, aside from the slow roll in 1st gear where it's jumpy when you let off the throttle. is this common in a 5mt?

Totally normal for a Subaru.

Stiffer motor/trans mounts help reduce the jerkiness, but it's caused partially by engine management. There have been some that have tuned it out, though.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

alright, thats what i guessed. this guy at my work has a new wrx and he tells me that he thinks he has a bad tranny. especially during 5th also. he's even considering trading it in for a honda. i'll let him know about what you said. thanks

Yep. Subaru's have been doing that for the whole 23 year history of the EJ engine.

What, a Subaru 5mt that sounds like a bucket of rocks when you lift off the gas...why I never hear mine when I have the radio turned up to about 14.

Hence why I coast a lot on the back roads

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

downtoearth, this type of sound is also heard from the clutch pedel itself. Underneath the dash were the clutch rod goes through the firewall is a spring. I would get this occasionally and putting some lube around this spring and it's contact points to help reduce the noise. Check to see if this sound is coming from the firewall underneath the dash.
My wife's balls are delicious.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

the problem is solved

i had the idea to check out my pitch mount today

the bolt that connected it to the firewall was VERY lose. tightened it up and the problem is GONE

:cool::cool::cool::cool:

car feels 10 billion times better in general now

downtoearth, this type of sound is also heard from the clutch pedel itself. Underneath the dash were the clutch rod goes through the firewall is a spring. I would get this occasionally and putting some lube around this spring and it's contact points to help reduce the noise. Check to see if this sound is coming from the firewall underneath the dash.

I was close to the problem. :lol:

My wife's balls are delicious.

Archived