LegacyGT.com

Lost my wipers on my '97 today.

Luckily, it wasn't raining, I just needed to clear the previous evenings moisture off the windshield. About the third swipe, there was a clunk, and then no more windshield wiping. The motor was still running, and the two wipers were still attached to each other, so I figured it was just the connection from the motor to the wiper linkage.

So after work, and after trying to find info on the inter-web, which by the way, there isn't much info about fixing this out there, I started tearing into it.

First- took the motor off to confirm it wasn't connected to the linkage anymore, check.

Second- took off the wipers and cowl while being careful to not break any of the little brittle plastic clips and ultimately breaking most of them anyway, check.

Third- take off the plastic inspection cover the get the inside of the cowl where any parts from the motor to linkage connection fall without breaking the cover, check.

I recovered what is referred to as the 'pivot cap' that holds the linkage arm to the motor, and for some reason it wasn't broken, there is also a nylon washer that goes on the motor side of the connection that was recovered. While the parts looked good, I'm not real keen on using them again, after all, they popped off for a reaon right? So I went to the inter-web again and found the pivot cap and all the broken clips on my local dealers website, I think the pivot cap is .82 cents, I should have about $5 into the fix when I'm done.

Then once this is done, I can get back to the timing belt and re- gasketing job I'm doing on my '92 wagon!

I'm new to posting, so not sure how to do pics yet, but I'll see if I can figure it out.

The pivot cap is not the piece you are looking for! I just went through this and found out that if you want to buy the "balljoint", that you have to buy a whole new wiper rod. I bought a pivot cap thinking it was the right part but it just is the little plastic cap that is under the wiper on the splined shaft. I ended up going to a junkyard and getting a new rod for mine because this joint was nowhere to be found haha.

Archived