LegacyGT.com

Squealing sound as I accelerate...help please

Before everyone suggest I have searched and still have not found a clear answer. It's an odd problem, however. It does not make the sound in neither neutral nor when I first start driving the car. But then, maybe after 15 minutes theres a constant squeal as I accelerate at low rpms and seems to diminish as I let go of the pedal. It is definitely internal, I just can't figure out the damn problem. Previous threads suggested the problem might be caused by an idler pulley but it doesn't happen in neutral so that couldn't be. It also doesn't seem like an exhaust leak, at least with regards to my catback because it is not always present at every rpm. Once it does start, though, it is easily the most annoying sound I have ever witnessed.

That's what I was thinking just wanted more knowledge on the subject. Would I be able to detect a boost leak from my access port? Last time I had a boost leak it was from a hose flying off and that was obvious. This isn't so obvious. And to answer that last post haha I think it sounds like the trumpet player the most.

Trumpet player is most likely the collector ("header") to up-pipe connection. Its a fairly common location to get a leak.

If you are at all handy, drive the car up onto ramps (or the sidewalk), drop the engine lower cover, and with a flashlight and a mirror inspect the connection. I bet you will find a hot spot where the oem gasket is starting to fail. Im betting you need to drop your collector/header and replace that gasket. Most likely can reuse header to block gasket.

GS makes a extra thick gasket that I suggest using for this location.

http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-185/GrimmSpeed-Header-to-Uppipe/Detail

YOU DO HAVE A TORQUE WRENCH RIGHT? Otherwise don't bother and just take it to a shop as you will only make it worse not better.

If it was an up pipe leak wouldn't the leak be present at all times? The 'leak' seems to occur after 15 minutes of driving.

An up pipe leak likely becomes loud or plays like a trumpet as you build boost. (the pressure hits the up-collector connection and the leak either acts as a whistle or the gasket acts as a reed "making music". LOL

My up leak was really bad and when I got on it I could feel it depressuring as the 5 year old kid practiced their trumpet lessons:p

A fart or duck would likely be under the tmic... Etc. Different leaks often make different sorts of noises.

• 3 months later...

Archived