LegacyGT.com

How To Disable The Parking Light Switch

You know that little parking light switch? I hate that damned thing. It's right where I put my GPS, it gets accidentally turned on frequently, and I see no purpose for it. It's a total waste of engineering!!!

I went to the local Sube dealer and they don't know of any way to disable the thing either.

Anyone disable theirs?

??? Parking light switch? I'm trying to figure out where there is a switch that you would also be putting your GPS... Is this a new thing they are putting in the Legacy now? Are you talking about the hazard light switch?

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

A couple drops of well placed hot glue.

I think super glue would be a little neater as it is of thinner consistency.

Or wedge a small piece of cardboard between the switch and the plastic surround. That way you could always pull it out with a dental pick later and return the functionality of the switch if need be. Or a little blob of Fun-Tak or museum wax would also be reversible.

It is still ugly.

Oh yeah, that's right. I forgot about that switch. I never used it so it wasn't something that registered in my mind when it was mentioned. Yeah, I can see how that would be obnoxious and annoying. Disconnecting it would be my advice.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

• 1 month later...
You know that little parking light switch? I hate that damned thing. It's right where I put my GPS, it gets accidentally turned on frequently, and I see no purpose for it. It's a total waste of engineering!!!

I went to the local Sube dealer and they don't know of any way to disable the thing either.

Anyone disable theirs?

Remove the bottom cover on the steering column (held on with 1 screw). Remove the wiring plug at the bottom (the one with 3 wires).

On the '05 wagon, the wires are white, orange, and white/green.

White is from the battery, orange is to the lights, and white/green is from the taillights & illumination relay.

Cut the orange and white/green wires (or remove them from the white plug), and connect them to each other, so that the park lights can still be operated from the stalk switch.

Or better yet, for a fully reversible mod, leave the wires intact, leave the plug disconnected from the switch, and run a jumper wire from the orange wire socket to the white/green wire socket. You will need to find the appropriate connecters to crimp onto the jumper wire.

• 5 years later...

Archived