LegacyGT.com

sway bars???

hey so this might be a stupid question and sorry if there is already a thread open about this but, what sway bars will fit my 99 legacy wagon? i want a new sway bar kit to beef up the size a bit. does it have to be legacy specific? or does impreza ones fit? (eg. 93-01?) any notes or advice would help. thanks guys.

Yes they are specific. 99-04 sway bars is what you'll need. The big thing to consider is what you want to do with the car in the long run. If you're just trying to get better driving on the street then you don't need to go very big. Whiteline makes some great products for street and racing applications. I'd go bigger in the rear to get rid of some of the understeer. Changing the F/R end links makes a big difference as well. I'm running a 20mm adj by Whiteline in the rear with Primitive Racing end links and Whiteline chasis mounts. Up front I'm running the stock 20mm bar with Whiteline end links and bushings on my 97 LGT. Make sure all your bushings are new to handle the extra load during cornering.

thanks a ton. i found one of whitelines that is a 20mm and i like it. it comes with the bar and bushings. i ain't looking to do rally cross or anything i just have a broken sway bar so i figure i mine as well upgrade since im already fixing it ya know? the sway bar with the bushings is $197, how much would the end links be? bout another hundred?

Your best bet is to copy that part number and go to Whiteline's site and search it. You'll see which models it fits. Sway bars are one of the few things that are very specific on Subarus. The Primitive end links cost $130ish. Haven't looked in a while. I think the Whiteline links run about the same, maybe a little more. It's not about doing rally, you just want to make sure they can handle a bigger bar. Honestly, I did the end links on the front bar even though I'm still running a stock bar because the factory ones suck. They are so soft. I think the links are more important then the bars, but like you said, you need to replace a broken bar anyway. But bigger bar + stock links = the same body roll. This is why I mentioned doing other bushings as well. When you start to make improvements in one area, other areas will start to show more of their weaknesses; control arms, lateral arms, and trailing arms start to get noticed when you do sway bars. Especially if you have more then 100k on them.

Archived