LegacyGT.com

2005 Legacy GT...should I?

Totaled04Rex

Looking at a 2005 Gt with 82k miles. Has Cobb accessport, aem cold air, Borla exhaust, lightened flywheel, BOV, and I think that's it. Needs new tires, and the timing belt in about 20k. Dude is asking $11,000. I was thinking of offering him $8500-9k. Is he out of line? Am I?

Any insight will be helpful, it is being inspected at the dealer Monday and will know if it needs anything else then.

It's blue with black factory leather(upgraded at the dealer) and heated seats. No sunroof, and the switches on the door for the driver side front and rear windows are broken. They function but do not spring back to normal. Paint has one bad scratch on side of front bumper otherwise perfect. 3rd owner, he bought it from his best friend who bought it from a dodge dealer where it was a trade in from Pennsylvania. Car is now in AZ and has been for at least half of its life.

I had an 04 WRX which was totaled last week(hence the username) and love subarus, just wanted your guys insight into this particular one.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well just by the description you have given the thread my impression is that it has been rallied a bit. When people add acessports and exhaust it usually means they like to go fast...I'd say 9k is maybe more then enough especially with the work that needs done to it currently and down the road. If you want an LGT take your time. You can find a really nice 05 5mt wagon/sedan for 9-13k that is completely stock. Don't rush into it, reliability is key.

Thanks for the replys! Yeah he said he was pretty set at 10k. My issue is that if the inspection turns up CV boots or something (which I am figuring to prob will) that's another couple hundred and combined with the tires that are pretty bald, easily a grand in repairs right off the bat. So if the car blue books for $9100, and needs a grand of work, how bad do I really want/need the bolt ons and access port? I was thinking $9000 or walk. My insurance check should be right around 10k, so if he agreed to $9k I could fix the current issues and feasibly be good till the timing belt in a year or two at 105k miles.

Def appreciate more insight. There are 3 05s in phx right now, one has the same mods, but 103k miles and hasn't had the timing belt done and is also asking $11k, so its out, and one that's stock and red(yuck) with 167k miles and they are asking $12k which is ridiculous, so at the current moment this one appears to be the best bet.

I hear you on the liking to go fast thing, and it does scare me a little, but the car is pretty immaculate. The mods were done by FAT(forced air tech) a local speed shop and the accessport was sent in for a tune, so at least it wasn't built and tuned by some kid in his parents garage... I'm waiting to hear what the dealer says.

So is the consensus this far to wait it out? Try to find a stock one? I do love that BOV noise tho, and the Borla exhaust, which would coste $1000 or so that I don't want to spend ATM.

Thanks again, and keep the thoughts coming please!!

Sounds like a pretty decent car with decent mods...i always look for a bone stock car, just so i know that the mods are all done by me or someone i personally know and are done right..if you dont end up picking this one up, i suggest take your time, and maybe even consider an out of state car...i bought my 05 gt limited about 4 months ago with only 48k miles on the clock. But also took me a month to find..good luck in your future purchase and welcome to the legacy community!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

^thx man! As an added side note I have a work truck for my every day travels, the legacy would replace the WRX and be used for nights, weekends, and monthly 2 hour north trips to the mtns. ;)

I can always take it to the shop that did the work and ask them about it as well, and will need to for the accessport as I have never even touched one or seen one prior to today, my WRX was stock.

AS it seems you don't need a car to drive to work, recreation, etc. I would wait and find the one you are absolutely thrilled about. Nobody wants to buy a car a have to do maintenance to it right off the bat. About the BOV, i've read that external BOV's on Subaru's can actually harm the engine because they recirculate the air. If someone could verify that, thank you. It took me 9 months to find the right LGT, and i don't regret one thing. Overall do what fits your best interests, don't buy it because you have already told yourself and others that you are getting this exact one.

Wrapping the pipe sounds logical. Will know about cv boots tomorrow after inspection. Gonna call the SA at the dealer and ask him flat out if he would buy it for himself. I am pretty thrilled about it. Like the color, and it really is aesthetically a 10. Other than the tires, and the window switch assembly, it supposedly doesn't need much. Has the least miles of any I've found in Phx, even 07s and 08s, and we shall see what the dealer says. After driving it its hard to say I could find a much nicer one.

Lemme see if I can post a pic for you

AS it seems you don't need a car to drive to work, recreation, etc. I would wait and find the one you are absolutely thrilled about. Nobody wants to buy a car a have to do maintenance to it right off the bat. About the BOV, i've read that external BOV's on Subaru's can actually harm the engine because they recirculate the air. If someone could verify that, thank you. It took me 9 months to find the right LGT, and i don't regret one thing. Overall do what fits your best interests, don't buy it because you have already told yourself and others that you are getting this exact one.

This car is pretty slick.

In regards to the BOV, I had heard the Subaru blow off valves stock such as the one on my WRX(rip) ARE in fact recirculating, part of the reason why they are quiet. The aftermarket ones also recirculate but purge as well, if they didn't still recirculate it would not work or harm the car

So, after inspection the car needs some bushings, 2 belts, and tires. Total for all of this is Around $2200. None of the repairs needed are mission critical or would cause the car to be unsafe, but should be done in the next 5k or so. Guy was asking $11k and said he wouldn't take less than $10k. Thinking I need to offer him $8500 and hope he accepts it. At that price I can get the repairs done within the settlement for my WRX. What do you all think?

Mechanic said he would buy it no problem, it's in amazing shape for the year and mileage and doesn't appear to have been beaten on or rode hard and put away wet lol. He also said the mods were done professionally and its definately not a hack job. I'm thinking if the guy will take $8500, I will be a new LGT 5MT owner as soon as I get my insurance check.

I still value any opinions you guys may have, let me hear em.

Looking at a 2005 Gt with 82k miles. Has Cobb accessport, aem cold air, Borla exhaust, lightened flywheel, BOV, and I think that's it. Needs new tires, and the timing belt in about 20k. Dude is asking $11,000. I was thinking of offering him $8500-9k. Is he out of line? Am I?

Any insight will be helpful, it is being inspected at the dealer Monday and will know if it needs anything else then.

It's blue with black factory leather(upgraded at the dealer) and heated seats. No sunroof, and the switches on the door for the driver side front and rear windows are broken. They function but do not spring back to normal. Paint has one bad scratch on side of front bumper otherwise perfect. 3rd owner, he bought it from his best friend who bought it from a dodge dealer where it was a trade in from Pennsylvania. Car is now in AZ and has been for at least half of its life.

I had an 04 WRX which was totaled last week(hence the username) and love subarus, just wanted your guys insight into this particular one.

Thanks in advance!

If they are trying to use those mods as a selling point. Make sure you tell them that most of those mods (CAI, catback exhaust, BOV) don't do anything for performance on a stage 1 or 2 car. And if the cobb runs an OTS tune, I would def say that that CAI needs to come off that car ASAP.

Archived