LegacyGT.com

Ditching the CarPC for Droid Razr

cfaber

Well after many years of `old trusty' a windows xp based compaq laptop I've decided that rather than upgrade it I'll move over to a Droid Razr (or really any HDMI supporting smartphone).

So I've already got a screen and bezel for the current PC, I've decided what I'm going to do is get an HDMI -> VGA adaptor, and replace the current auto-switch/power pack for the laptop with a small 2.5 amp USB charger, DIY USB inline charge feed and audio inputs.

I'm hoping when this is all done I'll have a single block that I plug into the top of the phone and have it connect into touch screen both USB and video, and the audio to the aux-in hack on the stereo.

I've ordered the various bits and will post the process and results here once complete =)

Winning the internet

Can the razr output audio from the USB cable?

I've thought about doing something similar with my iPhone, since I already have all the cables I need. I'd just patch the audio components to the iSimple Gateway, and the video to the OEM monitor.

If only iOS allowed native mirroring, I'd be golden. I wonder if that JB feature still exists.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Cool concept. Can you control the phone via an external touch screen? Would this be a dedicated phone for the car?

No the phone comes with me, I plan to have a quick plug/unplug block for it. And yes the phone does allow external mouse and keyboard control via BT and USB

Winning the internet

Can the razr output audio from the USB cable?

I've thought about doing something similar with my iPhone, since I already have all the cables I need. I'd just patch the audio components to the iSimple Gateway, and the video to the OEM monitor.

If only iOS allowed native mirroring, I'd be golden. I wonder if that JB feature still exists.

Yeah it can output from USB, as well as HDMI, but I'm going to use the analogue phono jack for audio.

The razr has all of the plugs on the top of the phone allowing you create a single plug block that handles video audio and USB all in one.

In fact the docking stations only need HDMI and USB to be plugged in as it takes the audio off an extra set of pins on the USB port.

Winning the internet

Archived