LegacyGT.com

Engine Is Done Need Help if i should rebuilt the Head or Block

i got an 05 legacy GT turbo

car was driving fine untill last week it starting to have white smokes

broght it over to the shop , tech told me i need to replace the head,

so i'm not sure this mean i need to replace the head or what ? please help

Where did you take it and do they have any experience with SUbaru's? I'm in the same shoes pretty much. Chances are the head gaskets are cooked and the heads and block can be salvaged. If it's white smoke then coolant was getting into the cylinders.

What kinda mileage do you have and has your car been maintained, IE the coolant ever been changed?

the car currently have 155k well his pretty good with car's

but as for subaru i'm not sure..there's not much around my area..beside like 1 hours out.. i got this car not long ago so i dont know much about the maintained.

for coolant no it havin't been done.. that's why he recommand me to rebuilt the head.replace all the belt's clutch's then i will maintain it good so this will run longer because i'm rebuilting the head. he said.

Why don't you tell us a little more about you and the car, year, body type ?

Where are you from ? How old are you? What's your background with cars ?

We can help you but we need to know somethings.

These cars are good if you take care of them. They need looking after, but have a good bang for the buck.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

There are people that work on cars and then there guys that work on subarus. Suburbs are orphans in the auto world. These cars are known to have a couple issues that a mechanic with subaru knowledge can generally diagnose a bit more accurately. If the car wasn't burning oil or acting up before this it could be just head gaskets.

Rebuilding or freshening up a set of heads is a long way from replacing them.

Why don't you tell us a little more about you and the car, year, body type ?

is an 05 subaru legacy GT 4 doors

i'm from new york

i dont know too much about car's beside maintain them well and to keep them running good..

Pennyless:

the tech tell me to rebuilt the head because it have alot of white smoke's after i start car. for like a minute or so.

but i was thinking if i want the car to run long dont i need to rebuilt the block instead of the head ? since my car right now it have 155k mile's on it. i just want this car to run long and strong that's all

Are you up state or near the city ?

If your close to NJ, check out http://www.AZPinstalls.com great bunch of guy's.

If your up state, I would think like VT, there is a subaru repair shop everywhere.

The best way to do this is what I did, new OEM shortblock, have the heads rebuilt, replace the coolant crossover tube to the oil cooler and coolant hoses, new clutch kit. I plan to drive my wagon for many years.

How is the turbo ? much shaft play?

Can you do any of the labor yourself ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I'm going to agree with max big time here. Cheaper and warranty with a short block and it's not a big deal to rebuild heads. If you are going for the ling term with this car, spend some money and do it right.

Funny, I just ordered that tube for mine. I'm going to keep the block for a bit on my build as it's not burning oil or even noisy yet.

my last decision is to rebuilt the whole engine.

i think i might need a new turbo..not 100% sure..

Are you up state or near the city ?

If your close to NJ, check out www.AZPinstalls.com great bunch of guy's.

If your up state, I would think like VT, there is a subaru repair shop everywhere.

The best way to do this is what I did, new OEM shortblock, have the heads rebuilt, replace the coolant crossover tube to the oil cooler and coolant hoses, new clutch kit. I plan to drive my wagon for many years.

How is the turbo ? much shaft play?

Can you do any of the labor yourself ?

If you need a turbo, I'm happy with my vf52, I would also tell you to bolt it to the up pipe, don't use the studs. I found it a PITA to line up the inlet, oil return hose and studs all at the same time with the inlet hose pushing the turbo back.

Get the bolts from the dealer, they are the ones that hold the up pipe bracket to the block.

10mmx1.25x one inch or a little longer. IDK the metric 1" number

Oh Yea, use anti-sieze compound on all the nuts and bolts. ALL OF THEM.

White smoke indicates coolant, which means you have a blown head gasket. You will need to replace the gasket, but you don't need to replace the heads. Once the heads are off, have a machine shop pressure test them first to determine if they need to be rebuilt, this will help you save some money if they don't need to be rebuilt.

You'll only need to rebuild the shortblock if you have major oil consumption or loss of compression in the cyinders. I had my block rebuilt, since I was using a quart of oil once a month and had a low compression in one of the cyinders.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Archived