LegacyGT.com

VF52 worth it?

So im thinking about upgrading my vf40 and was wondering if the power is worth getting a used vf52 for like $600ish? I dont have any experience with turbo swaps yet so any info is appreciated!

06 GT - Totalled 😢... to be continued

07 Spec B - Wife took over 🤔

06 i - getting built motor and 6 speed 😁

personally i will never buy a used turboe from someone i do not know, it ultimately caused engine and turbo failure on my car a year later. If it is from someone you know and trust and can ensure it is in good condition then maybe. VF52's are good setups and with proper parts and tuning can go anywhere from 300-330whp. You will need a tune if you choose this turbo.

Yeah great turbo. But I wouldn't get it from a random unless you had them take it to a reputable Subie shop and talked to them on the phone and they confirmed it was in working order. Even then though seals could be bad. Might as well go new with a warranty.. Not not vf if its new.
torque impresses girrls, hp impresses flat-bills

Well if its not a good idea to get a used one then would i be better getting something else new then? And im already planning on a tune anyways.

Yeah i was talking to bryan at bnr and gave me a quote on a 20g. But ive been getting mixed signals. Not really sure if thats the route i want to take or not.

Ive got DW740s and a DW200 pump on the way. So im good there. Im not worried about that. All of my supporting stuff is taken care of. Im just stuck on the turbo choice :(

Yeah ive already got a stg 2 exedy im installing with everything else. So im good there. And im looking to be around 350ish whp.

You are going to have to go e85 if you want 350whp.

The 20g on pump gas is at roughly only 320whp and the vf52 will be the same but on e85, otherwise only 280-290 on pump, mine came out to only 287

Real ? is is it a dd, a 1/4 car or track car?

If it's a dd, I'd go with the vf52 and e85, 20g and e85 if a 1/4 car and if a track car, vf52 on pump gas or e85

Bigger turbo = more lag, no power unless you downshift, good for highway pulls

Smaller turbo, less lag, more power and no need to downshift, good for the city

If you are gonna upgrade the fuel pump, injectors go e85 with the turbo of choice, I went with the vf52 as it's my dd and I drive in the city and never go past or see 5k rpms anyways. Buy brand new unless you know the previous owner/history. E85

Well its dd/ occasional 1/4 car. And unfortunately e85 isnt easily available in my area :( so maybe 18g or vf52 might be my better choice then?

Yeah ive already got a stg 2 exedy im installing with everything else. So im good there. And im looking to be around 350ish whp.

Do not use that exedy. Just don't. If you do want to torture yourself, go for it. Particularly do not use with the F1/exedy 13.7lb lwfw. If you ARE going to use, you must use tsk3 kit as the exedy TOB is a POS and could cost you a tranny.

Well its dd/ occasional 1/4 car. And unfortunately e85 isnt easily available in my area :( so maybe 18g or vf52 might be my better choice then?

You already bought fueling and you are still considering a vf52? You bought fueling and you are considering a 18g over a 20g? :iam:

Id love for you to explain to me your reasoning as there is no major difference between a 18g vs 20g lag-wise when compared to OEM (both are similarly more laggy than oem) but there is a meaningful difference power wise and one actually makes buying the fueling worth it.

Anyhow, the best turbo for you is 20g^7cm or 20g^7.5cm. A BnR 20g is probably the best solution financially.

well like i said, its my first turbo upgrade and im not real familiar with how different ones work. Thats why ive been doing a lot of research and asking a lot of questions. Lol. 20g does seem to be the most popular from what ive heard though. And i havent heard that about the clutch/flywheel. Im going to have to look into that more..

You aren't going to find the exedy information you are looking for. You can either trust me that I know better from personal experience and comparisons from Mike @ Infamous with other clutches or not. I regret the positive review I gave it. I need to get a mod to delete that shiz.

LGT stands for little girly turbo. Don't get stuck in the LGT.com syndrome of thinking a 20g is a big turbo. All you are doing by going 18g is cheating yourself out of the power you should be getting out of your investment.

The difference in lag from a 20g to an 18g is slight. The difference between either and a vf40 is more pronounced. Either way you are going to have a little less throttle response off boost.

My turbo is a lot bigger than a 20g. I don't see myself having any problems with managing lag. Look like my car is slow on a tight course to you?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj6W3r9FW2U&feature=youtube]KROPS APEX 2/23/13 - YouTube[/ame]

I really liked mine (plus i only paid $300 for mine). It gave a nice little increase over the VF40 and could have given a little bit more on the topend if I had upgraded my injectors. Overall I was pretty happy with it and it was adequate for me and my uses for the car.

yeah looks like its holding pretty well to me. but im pretty much stuck with the clutch for now.. and if i shouldnt use the f1 or exedy flywheel, then what should i use? i havent gotten the flywheel yet...

not the 05-06 dmfw but a wrx or 07+ single mass flywheel would be best for DD. Subaru changed the LegacyGT to smfw after the first couple years, whats that tell ya?

SAUL WITHOUT A DOUBT A USED vf52 IS THE HAWT, CHEAP WAY TO GO.

...but he already bought fueling.

you CAN use the exedy, just dont overheat it, dont use the lwfw f1 sub 14lb and DO use a tsk3 kit but it is a stupid amount of pressure feel for not enough grab. Feels like they make up for friction surface with pressure :lol:

Another turbo to consider is the Avo380, or an Hta68, both will get you in the low 300's on pump gas and close to 350 on e85. both are quicker to spool than the 20g and just a bit less power up top

Clutch just buy a kit, I bought the Competition stage 2 kit and it comes with an flywheel and all the other parts

Act or clutch master is a few other good ones

My choice for turbos would be avo380, vf52, hta68 and last the 20g if its a dd

Neither of those are turbo's are ideal for OP. AVO380 is priced out (more money than a BnR20g) and the HTA68 is well known to produce less stellar numbers on pump than on e85. 20g is a tremendous DD turbo and OP already said... NO E85 and lower priced.

You can use a SMFW. The exedy/f1 is a single mass flywheel.

Archived