LegacyGT.com

New to 98 Legacy Wagon -tires, license plate

I just got a 98 Legacy wagon with 72K miles. I need to mount a front license plate, where/how do you mount one? Is this different on a second gen vs newer? Also, I'm going to need wheels and tires. I'm wondering if I should/could move to larger wheels and tires. I'd like to go as big as I can. What should I search for at an auto recycler. Thanks! Todd in VA.

welcome to the wonderful world of subaru.

i live in VA and have been driving with no front plate for over 6 years.

i have been pulled for it once, said i must have lost it. went to the DMV and paid $10 for replacement plates. took the receipt to the clerk of the court and walked. on the other hand my son was driving in richmond / VCU and he was pulled the first week he was there.

i think there are dimples on the lego or square holes on the outback bumper and you can get the hardware at the parts store.

the legacy stock tire is 185/70/14, or 195/60/15 depending on the wheel. you can go to a 205/55/16 GT size with no problem. the 90s outback stock tire is 205/70/15, this is about 2 inches larger than the stock lego tire. (26.3" vs 24.2"). the outback is too large to run on your car.

however, if you are truly motivated, you can bolt on outback struts & springs and run the outback tires. this is an EASY upgrade, but new strut are not cheap.used are not so bad and usually come with springs. http://www.car-part.com

2 item of note, your speedo will be off with larger tires, possibly as much as 8% with outback tires. google tire calculator for more info.

and your car will be a little sluggish, perhaps not noticeable.

FYI: aside from looks the leagcy and the outback are the same car with a few exceptions such as, struts, wheels / tires, final drive ratio, sway bar diameter, and front brakes. all of these will swap with certain conditions.

happy motoring.

I'm pretty big, so a few inches might make it easier to get in/out.
me too.

i did not notice in my first 2 legos. but once i owned an outback, i was hooked on the extra height.

i'm currently planning on lifting my 00 legacy. i can't wait.

• 1 month later...
Still looking at lifting my legacy. I've learned some about the subtle solutions 1" lift, which would get me to a 27.5 inch tire. I'm also considering the outback spring/strut swap. Anyone got an opinion on which would be better? Do I gain anything from doing both?

you cant run larger tires by just getting the 1 inch spacers. the tire size is limited by the struts you have and after that by the body of the car. to tall or wide and they rub on the strut, my 215/60/16 winter tires were just a hair away from clearing so i added 2mm washers to the rear lugs.

the outback is too large to run on your car.

I will disagree, I have 205/70/15 Outback wheels with brand new snow tires on my 99 LGT and they fit without changing anything or clearancing the struts. Plus I compared the speedo verses my GPS and below 60 mph its dead on, then after 60 I'm only slower 2-3 mph up to 75mph. I haven't been faster then that. LOL. The biggest fault is my MPG's, I'm down 40 miles per full tank. It might not be that much because of the "winter blend" gas but I know it's down at least 30-35 mpgs.

i suggest you measure the outer circumference or your tires. how many inches, 84+, 86+ ??

you may find the number to be less than an actual 205/70/15 all season tire. or maybe not. i do not know.

but i do know that there is very little, if any, space in between the tire and the rear spring perch/ lower seat, on the 96 legacy and a 205/70/15 street tire.

but i have been wrong before, some maybe again.

the ''quoted'' size and dimension of tires can be different from the actual size of different brands, treads, and of course, wear.

I did a side by side comparison to my Hankook V12's 205/55/16 which I installed mid summer, my Firestone snow tires are 1.5" larger overall. My snows are also new with still 13/32" thread. The guy I bought the Outback wheels with snows even gave me the rear strut assemblies because I thought I would have to swap them for the snows to work. They cleared but barely, 3/16" with the car on the ground and closer to 1/8" with the car in the air. It weirded me out for sure and I thought someone down the line had installed Outback struts for some dumb reason but nope their the stock GT struts.

The front have more clearance than the rears but not by much. They do rub a little on the wheel liner if I pull to fast up a driveway approach, nothing full lock to lock while driving. I can't say that everyone's will work the same, I have a very late production 99. It's a 8/99 so I'm not sure if some parts are different. I know for sure that in 99 the front struts are different then 98 and earlier. Mid to year end changes can be funny. On most cars a 8/99 would be a MY2000.

thanks for all the feedback. I'm honing in on doing the outback strut swap. One more question, because I've found a viable outback donor for my straight legacy wagon, will the seats from an outback bolt right in on my legacy wagon?

will the seats from an outback bolt right in on my legacy wagon?

yes.

everything on an outback will bolt on to a legacy. there are some limitations, like the the tires (with wheels) will swap but only if you swap the struts for more room. or the front bumper will swap but you will also need the grille and maybe the support beam .....

do a search, there is lots of info.......

Archived