LegacyGT.com

5EAT transmission oil filters

Hey, I just want to verify the oil filter for the transmission itself, it is the same filter that is beside the battery under the hood? I took out my battery and noticed the filter in the fender. It appeared to have been replaced and was most likely replaced with a aftermarket generic filter. Obviously looking to replace it with a new oem unit as well as the oil filter on the side of the transmission. Again just need verification if the two oil filters are indeed the same. Thanks!!!!!!

looked like a normal oil filter which is what's bothering me.

That is the tranny filter and if it was a regular oil filter consider yourself lucky it didn't fail.

I think it's really stupid of Subi to put a filter in the driver side fender. Once hit there and you could be leaking tranny fluid.

i assume there are non oe filters for the transmission.

The problem with non oe would be the type and ensuring you dont ruin your $5K tranny. Buy the OE from Subi for the car. It's $22 online or $50 at the dealer, tell the dealer what you can buy it for and I got mine for $27.

Some dealers say change every 60K others say it's a lifetime filter. I replaced at 60K because I'm anal about stuff like that.

Archived