LegacyGT.com

Outback trans in a Legacy

Spaceman Spiff

I've owned 7 SVXs and dozens of Legacys over the years and a least 6 times i've put a 4.44 tranny and rear diff into a 4.11 (or 3.545 SVX) car for the sake of off-the-line acceleration. And now that I have a 2005 OBXT(with Legacy suspension and tires) and 2008 LGT, I can really feel the difference in taking off. Like to the point where i don't even want to drive my stage 2 LGT over the stock (for now) OB. And the OB will soon be a pdxtuning stage 1.5T, so it's going to get worse before it gets better. ;)

Is there anything different about performing this swap on my 2008 LGT than from, say a phase 1 Legacy? Just swap out tranny and rear diff? Any ECU issues to deal with? Both are 5eat and wanting to stay that way. JDM 5EATs seem pretty cheap.

Has anyone done this for the same reason or have any other thoughts on this?

Stephen

I posted this same question a while back, only the opposite.. Putting an LGT trans in an OBXT. The consensus was you would need the Trans and rear diff.

I would imagine you need a tune as well since the gearing is different, but don't take my word for it. If so, could you use a Cobb OTS map for the appropriate transmission, or are there other minor differences between OBXT and LGT? {setting aside the debate of OTS maps being good}

I posted this same question a while back, only the opposite.. Putting an LGT trans in an OBXT. The consensus was you would need the Trans and rear diff.

I would imagine you need a tune as well since the gearing is different, but don't take my word for it. If so, could you use a Cobb OTS map for the appropriate transmission, or are there other minor differences between OBXT and LGT? {setting aside the debate of OTS maps being good}

I don't think there are any hidden differences between the two. I think it's just gear ratio. I'm surprised it's not done more. It adds to whatever tuning one might have. My Outback speedometer is reading about 12% high though, but I can "fix" that with btssm. Or when it gets tuned. I went from a 225/55-17 to a 215/45-17 for a dif of 8%.

I've found JDM trannies for $300 and rear diffs from $150, so i'll be looking to do this after I get my OB tuned.

I should clarify that it won't change the speed displayed on the speedometer, but I can add a corrected speedometer thru the btssm android readout. If you are unfamiliar with btssm, then you may be pleasantly surprised to discover it. As many people here definitely have been.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/btssm-bluetooth-adapter-app-229709.html

Archived