LegacyGT.com

Intercooler Leak

Hey all, I've been looking around for some threads on this topic and found SOME info, but it's tough to pin point if directly relative to what I'm seeing?

I've had what looks to be an decent seeping of some sort on my intercooler for some time... Car seems to run fine, boost fine (As far as I know) But being an inter cooler and seeing this level of grunge around the bottom bottom left/passenger corner of the inter cooler, what would some of you make of this? Has anyone else had a similar issue with there stock cooler? I was already planning on replacing in the near future, but I'm curious about the seemingly "OIL LIKE" leak I'm seeing.

My ride is a 2005 LGT with about 100k on it... Compression test done, was within scope/healthy etc. and not overly experienced with the turbo system to know what to expect with something like this? Wouldn't mind to hear some feedback if you'd feel like contributing.

IMAG1117.thumb.jpg.84ed1620b154804815ba6e30e46dce1f.jpg

Seems like its your end tank on the stock intercooler.

I think there are a few in the FS section. Replace and have fun.

You think this "Gunk" visible in this pic, is maybe just the air/engine bay grime/moisture combination causing this kind of look?

Clean it the best you can and see how fast it comes back.

I was actually thinking about doing EXACTLY that... Just to see exactly what I'm working with. Good call! ;)

I mean it IS almost a 100k miles and never been touched ha, who knows.

it's separating and leaking under boost. Get a new one.

So should I be worried that it seems so grimy near the leak? Seeing as it's an air to air leak? Or Is the grime maybe due to the heated/cooling affect of the air to the exterior (Condensation/moisture) and the engine bay grime over time maybe making it look like that?

They can be had for cheap, so do your wipe clean and observe test, and then replace accordingly.

My vote goes to a definite leak.

Yea I'm assuming leak for sure as well, I'm curious to see just how bad it is after cleaning

Checked mine as well and it looks like this too, but on the bottom instead of the top.

Came off the car at about 120k. I didnt notice any leaking issues though when I was stock.

Upon closer inspection it does appear that the tabs have come unbent and the plastic sticks out further compared to the other end. I'm glad I noticed this before I sold it.

Kind of what our cars do.

I think a minimal amount of blow-by is acceptable. Part of how our cars seem to consume oil or at least require top offs on oil. Some burn it, some leak it (in the form of blow-by or other reasons).

If I were you, I wouldn't worry at all. Replace with a used stock one and contact BarManBean about reinforcing it so it won't occur again.

Kind of what our cars do.

I think a minimal amount of blow-by is acceptable. Part of how our cars seem to consume oil or at least require top offs on oil. Some burn it, some leak it (in the form of blow-by or other reasons).

If I were you, I wouldn't worry at all. Replace with a used stock one and contact BarManBean about reinforcing it so it won't occur again.

Yea thinking the same... My car has "Consumed" oil since as far back as I can remember! ha... Right now, I'm on about 4months, probably right around 3k miles, and the oil is pretty darn clean, but on the low dipstick line. ha... Never fails, like clock work, but no drips, no smoke.. Just drops lol

:spin:

there's various reasons your car will consume oil. could be as simple as needing a new pcv valve, or it could be cracked ringland(s). subaru considers consuming 1qt every 1k miles normal.... though in reality, if you're consuming that much, theres probably something wrong. the inlet, intercooler, throttle body hose will have a small puddle and film of oil in it, and thats normal. blow-by can become an issue if your pcv is clogged or stuck and the amount of blow-by will massively increase and impact the amount of oil you consume.

Blow by is perfectly normal. Happens because the rings on the pistons are metal and the cylinders are metal as well, so its never goin to be a perfect seal. Sometimes oil is sucked through the pcv valve too. A slight film of oil in the intake also helps to reduce friction between the air flow and the walls of the intake. So chances are you are seeing a tiny bit of oil seeping from your intercooler. Ill reiterate to clean and reinspect, then replace as necessary.

Blow by is perfectly normal. Happens because the rings on the pistons are metal and the cylinders are metal as well, so its never goin to be a perfect seal. Sometimes oil is sucked through the pcv valve too. A slight film of oil in the intake also helps to reduce friction between the air flow and the walls of the intake. So chances are you are seeing a tiny bit of oil seeping from your intercooler. Ill reiterate to clean and reinspect, then replace as necessary.

Next focus after I get this front suspension worked out ugh

Archived