Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Interior/Audio (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   My '06 spec B guage solution...on nav screen (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189654)

lilbrudder 07-18-2012 09:16 PM

My '06 spec B guage solution...on nav screen

4 Attachment(s)
Here's some pics of my real time guage solution. I'm using the Torque app through my Droid Incredible so I can monitor a lot of different things. let's hear what you think.

bucko3the7man 07-18-2012 09:20 PM

how do you have it running on the nav screen? looks awesome, I love torque. I use it to pull codes when necessary too.

Chris GTO TT 07-18-2012 09:21 PM

ok how'd you get the nav screen to show what is on your phone?

lilbrudder 07-18-2012 09:31 PM

I have the aux input of the nav wired to a terminal in the center console so I can just plug in my phone and off I go. Torque is running off bluetooth, it auto connects to the phone when in range. As of now I am using a mounted RCA video cable for the terminal, if i can figure it out I will use a USB so I can get it to charge while outputing video( hopefully audio some day too).

compsurge 07-18-2012 10:39 PM

This is properly awesome.

scoobyscoodle 07-19-2012 01:20 AM

What is Torque and what can you monitor?

Chris GTO TT 07-19-2012 01:32 AM

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...l.torque&hl=en

rtbrjason 07-19-2012 07:37 AM

Looks good.

bucko3the7man 07-19-2012 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobyscoodle (Post 3987752)

Basically anything. It uses a bluetooth OBDII sensor you can buy for like 20 bucks and your phone connects to it, reading what it's putting out. It also uses GPS for things, and can tell you the differential between your vehicle's indicated speed vs gps speed, anything you can imagine. You can also pull codes with torque.

dustincredible 07-19-2012 07:56 AM

This is awesome! I have Torque also but never thought of using it on my Nav screen.

mumblinaviator 07-19-2012 08:38 AM

Outstanding. Could you please link to which OBDII sensor you're using?

bucko3the7man 07-19-2012 08:48 AM

Hoojammyflip 07-19-2012 10:03 AM

That is brilliant!

I would love to get something like this working with my screen - it is a JDM Kenwood 2004 MY and different to yours in that it does not have an AUX input - Do you know if I am likely tobe able to use the Sat Nav round cable connector to input video - or is this just for data?

How do you get video out from the Droid?

I have a HTC Desire HD and only a micro USB port... Have you done yours through the USB port or does it have a video out?

Cheers :cool:

lilbrudder 07-19-2012 10:07 AM

Here is the one I have.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-Au...item19d2faf676 $12 shipped. I am using Torque pro( the paid version) and would highly recommend over the free. Sorry iphoners, only Droid does. The mountable video RCA was obtained at radio shack for $2, and the micro usb to RCA was like $5, if you use the HTC one that I have it will charge your phone while plugged in. That's it, I already had most the stuff so this mod cost me $2.

lilbrudder 07-19-2012 10:14 AM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8m-TV-Vide...item2a205ec0d4 This one is similar to the one I have and it will allow charging while you are hooked up.

lilbrudder 07-19-2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoojammyflip (Post 3988086)
That is brilliant!

Do you know if I am likely tobe able to use the Sat Nav round cable connector to input video - or is this just for data?

Apologies, I do not know.

lilbrudder 07-19-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobyscoodle (Post 3987752)

As mentioned basically anything, some of my favorites are: 0-60 time, 1/4 mile time, est HP, est torque, boost, I can use it as a shift indicator, ect. The only thing I wish it had is a AIM read out, I would like to know what it is at w/o hooking up the lappy.

lilbrudder 07-19-2012 10:27 AM

Any one want help get me lined up on the pin out for USB?

mumblinaviator 07-19-2012 10:30 AM

Doing a bit of reading on the Torque site, you can submit a request on their forum for updates and additions. Maybe IAM could be included in a future update?

The OBDII you linked is a CAN-BUS scanner, which I think will only work up to and including 06. 07+ is different... just like VAGCOM vs. Tactrix..

Can anyone verify that?

lilbrudder 07-19-2012 11:32 AM

Yeah,I did submit that request...it would be great if that went somewhere.
Good call on the obdII though.

Everyone needs to make sure they get the right one for your car

bucko3the7man 07-19-2012 11:39 AM

That's the one I got for my 05 LGT FWIW

.:Catalyst:. 07-19-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilbrudder (Post 3988090)
Sorry iphoners, only Droid does.

I've been looking at a similar solution from PLX with their Kiwi2 WiFi that works with iPhone and then using some of the supported apps for iPhone like DashCommand. Stumbled across it when looking at their WBO2 sensor to use with a VBG1 gauge. Once I get my primary mod goals done, I may pursue this and see if I can get it onto my Nav display like you did with one of these Apple adapters.

kanazteck261 07-19-2012 04:38 PM

I think I am going to do this as well. Curious about dashcommand app
, but the $50 price tag is alot to trial.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Drogos 07-19-2012 05:14 PM

perfect solution for me since I am running torque all the time. Does anyone know if it will work with Incredible too? I mean the video out part

BAC5.2 07-19-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .:Catalyst:. (Post 3988431)
I've been looking at a similar solution from PLX with their Kiwi2 WiFi that works with iPhone and then using some of the supported apps for iPhone like DashCommand. Stumbled across it when looking at their WBO2 sensor to use with a VBG1 gauge. Once I get my primary mod goals done, I may pursue this and see if I can get it onto my Nav display like you did with one of these Apple adapters.

There is one flaw, and that is that not all apps support video out of the dock connector. You can JB the device and use Display Out, or... That's really it.

Ive wanted to do something like this for quite some time, but other things are more important at the moment.

.:Catalyst:. 07-19-2012 09:04 PM

Not a priority at the moment for me now either, but when I'm ready I'll do some inquiring with the app developers that are supported to see if they will support video out. Great point though BAC.

Definitely something I'll dig into during the winter months when I have more time.

BAC5.2 07-19-2012 09:11 PM

About the same for me.

What I really want is my iPhone screen mirrored on the OE dash, gestures and all.

Dade 07-19-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoojammyflip (Post 3988086)
That is brilliant!

I would love to get something like this working with my screen - it is a JDM Kenwood 2004 MY and different to yours in that it does not have an AUX input - Do you know if I am likely tobe able to use the Sat Nav round cable connector to input video - or is this just for data?

How do you get video out from the Droid?

I have a HTC Desire HD and only a micro USB port... Have you done yours through the USB port or does it have a video out?

I don't know how you get video out from the droid, as I think it depends on which Android model you have. Regarding the round Kenwood connector, the video signal is an RGB connection. This is different than the yellow composite input in the other models. If your droid can't output VGA, you could consider a CarPC connected to the round connector using SSM or something.

See the highlighted part below:
http://legacygt.com/forums/attachmen...hmentid=119317
P.S. This is the pinout for the GVN53(KNA-G510), but the highlighted pins are what is used to connect to the video of the factory nav HU.

BAC5.2 07-19-2012 09:36 PM

Dade, there is a video RCA terminal on the back of the OE screen.

lilbrudder 07-19-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drogos (Post 3988844)
perfect solution for me since I am running torque all the time. Does anyone know if it will work with Incredible too? I mean the video out part

too or two? If too, than yes, that is in the very first line of the OP. If two, than probably.

Dade 07-19-2012 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mumblinaviator (Post 3988132)
Doing a bit of reading on the Torque site, you can submit a request on their forum for updates and additions. Maybe IAM could be included in a future update?

The OBDII you linked is a CAN-BUS scanner, which I think will only work up to and including 06. 07+ is different... just like VAGCOM vs. Tactrix..

Can anyone verify that?

The Bluetooth OBD-II reader linked uses the ELM327 chipset. This works with 9 different OBD-II protocols, and works on my 2008 spec B (I have this model too). In fact it works on many different types of vehicles, not just Subaru's. I decided to pursue the SSM (Subaru Select Monitor) protocol instead because you have direct ECM access and can read more data than is available via the OBD-II connection. This is Subaru specific.

Torque is a great app, though I'm looking to develop my own gauge panel using the SSM. I don't want to have to plug in my phone every time I drive my car. :)

Dade 07-19-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAC5.2 (Post 3989174)
Dade, there is a video RCA terminal on the back of the OE screen.

There is not one for his JDM model. It is only included in the USDM model.:)

lilbrudder 07-19-2012 09:55 PM

Plugging the phone in just to see the guages would get old, that's why I have it set up to charge the phone too...that makes it worth it.

lilbrudder 07-19-2012 10:00 PM

Just heard back from the torque programmer, he says you can program extended PID's through the settings menu. Anyone done this? I have the menu up, says I need the equation....anyone?

Dade 07-19-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilbrudder (Post 3989217)
Just heard back from the torque programmer, he says you can program extended PID's through the settings menu. Anyone done this? I have the menu up, says I need the equation....anyone?

Which PID are you trying to read? Check this out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs

FYI, I was unable to read any PID's greater than 60. Here's a list of the PID's supported on my 2008 spec.B:
01: Monitor status since DTCs cleared.
03: Fuel system status
04: Calculated engine load value
05: Engine coolant temperature
06: Short term fuel % trimóBank 1
07: Long term fuel % trimóBank 1
0B: Intake manifold absolute pressure
0C: Engine RPM
0D: Vehicle speed
0E: Timing advance
0F: Intake air temperature
10: MAF air flow rate
11: Throttle position
12: Commanded secondary air status
13: Oxygen sensors present
15: Bank 1, Sensor 2: Oxygen sensor voltage, Short term fuel trim
1C: OBD standards this vehicle conforms to
1F: Run time since engine start
21: Distance traveled with malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on
24: O2S1_WR_lambda(1): Equivalence Ratio Voltage
2E: Commanded evaporative purge
2F: Fuel Level Input
30: # of warm-ups since codes cleared
31: Distance traveled since codes cleared
32: Evap. System Vapor Pressure
33: Barometric pressure
34: O2S1_WR_lambda(1): Equivalence Ratio Current
3C: Catalyst Temperature Bank 1, Sensor 1
41: Monitor status this drive cycle
42: Control module voltage
43: Absolute load value
44: Command equivalence ratio
45: Relative throttle position
46: Ambient air temperature
47: Absolute throttle position B
49: Accelerator pedal position D
4A: Accelerator pedal position E
4C: Commanded throttle actuator
4D: Time run with MIL on
4E: Time since trouble codes cleared
51: Fuel Type
5A: Relative accelerator pedal position

lilbrudder 07-19-2012 10:50 PM

Oh, so close...I am trying to get IAM(ignition advance multiplier). you almost made my day.

Dade 07-20-2012 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilbrudder (Post 3989297)
Oh, so close...I am trying to get IAM(ignition advance multiplier). you almost made my day.

So before I throw this out there, be aware that the ECM of your 06 is likely different than my 08, and therefore may support different PID's. In fact, I am going to compile a utility so that you can easily read the supported PID's. You'll need a laptop that has Bluetooth, as it won't run on android (runs on Windows).

The reason I moved away from the OBD-II specification is because you can't read certain PID's, as they are not exposed by the ECM on the OBD-II protocol. You can however, read IAM using SSM. It's PID P90 (0x0000F9). Sadly, you won't be able to read this through Torque via OBD-II. If you want to read this value and others, I'll be happy to point you in the right direction.

BAC5.2 07-20-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dade (Post 3989204)
There is not one for his JDM model. It is only included in the USDM model.:)

Whoops, missed that it was a JDM model. Good catch.

gyung 07-20-2012 10:48 AM

That is badass. How is the accuracy, and is there any lag or faults in the display by having it run/controlled through your phone?

lilbrudder 07-20-2012 11:05 AM

No faults,I would say the accuracy is good,I haven't noticed a significant lag if it's there it's sub-second