LegacyGT.com

Bilstein BTS Outback XT kit pictures

Recently received this JDM sold only Bilstein BTS 5056J kit from Japan. Several forum members here and myself had encouraged Bilstein USA to import this kit or offer a similar kit to NO avail.

The kit was purchased in November 2008 and with that exchange rate puts the cost at approx $1,230.00 or so. Shipping was via UPS International 5 day service (56lbs)

000_0007.thumb.jpg.2c2a17f7c404e6b2fd966b274fc90889.jpg

000_0008.thumb.jpg.cd0eb9a998d60f8260512de1f71cb50c.jpg

000_0009.thumb.jpg.e28c48c07d079b07480a497c0738dda9.jpg

000_0010.thumb.jpg.ab50c56e46a6aa25cdf8b3061350aaba.jpg

000_0011.thumb.jpg.92ff33ed2e6bbfb5e8dff429f05846d1.jpg

Edited by M. Schneider

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are they lower than stock?

The raised “character” ride height of the Outback is maintained with the Bilstein BTS5056 kit. In absolute terms, the ride height of the USA Outback XT is effected. ... IIRC the USA production of the XT model Outback is ever so slightly taller than the Rest of the World (ROW) Outback's, this exception will be lost.

Edited by M. Schneider

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

maybe one day, when i have money to waste on my 3.0r ob sedan, ill get this.

Hey Bergan County aka whitetiger ~ (I grew up in the small town River Vale also in Bergen County.)

A Subaru mechanic calling a suspension enhancement to the OB XT model as "when i have money to waste" is baffling to say the least.

You need to drive the XT . . . .

Edited by M. Schneider

Cheers, Mike

Hey Bergan County aka whitetiger ~ (I grew up there)

A Subaru mechanic calling a suspension enhancement to the OB XT model as "when i have money to waste" is baffling to say the least.

You need to drive the XT . . . .

I say this because my mod money goes to my LGT. my ob 3.0r sedan is my daily driver, and though i would like ti improve susp feel on it, my money is better spent on the LGT.

Eagerly awaiting results.

And whether new tophats are needed.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Nice work Mike!

I can't believe it has taken this long to get! I sent an email to Bilstein USA last week pleading for them to import these.

anxiously awaiting your review

Eagerly awaiting results.

And whether new tophats are needed.

New top hats for the rear is more than likely. The front top hats appear to fit just fine. I'll start working again in the morning, however one side of the Subi (front and rear) has been disassembled. I took a few pictures which I'll post ASAP.

The new Bilstein rear spring is tapered at the top and this is where the OE rear top hat will Not fit. The OE rear top hat is to large in diameter to mate with the new tapered coil spring. Where do I fish for the elusive JDM top Hat??? (Here's a clue,,,, try Japan first - funny!)

Edited by M. Schneider

Cheers, Mike

Huh. I was expecting front, not rear.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Update: It's confirmed that both front and rear USA top hats require there JDM counterparts. EDIT: 6.10.09

Having reached out to Bilstein Japan for the top hat details - I'm waiting. Otherwise it looks to be a straight forward suspension upgrade. Can't wait.

Edited by M. Schneider

Cheers, Mike

I don't believe this. Post close up pics of the top of the struts/shocks.

I can lookup the stock JDM Outback tophat part numbers and cross-reference them for you.

Unclemat, Believe it - I'd be more than happy to post a picture of the front USA OE strut (un assembled) and the new JDM Bilstein BTS 5056 front strut side by side. The appropreate top hat (if thats what there called in Japan?) is other than what is used here in the USA.

As far as the rear spring the JDM Bilstein spring is tapered substantially at its top, as seen in the photos. (the beginning of this thread.) The USDM OE rear spring is the same diameter from bottom to top; not so with the JDM Bilstein BTS 5056 kit rear spring as delivered to me.

Edited by M. Schneider

Cheers, Mike

I believe that. That means you need so called "JDM/SpecB" top hats I think I told you about. Easily available from any U.S. dealer. But I don't believe rears are different. Stock USDM and JDM rears are same across all models (part #s my differ, but they are the same).

So I looked at the pic you e-mail me. Yes, you need Bilstein specific aka SpecB aka JDM top hats. Any dealer can provide them.

Yes. Noted was the potential of JDM/SpecB top hats as a requirement, so not at all surprising. However the rear tapered coil spring top needs time to noodle. Go figure. Edited by M. Schneider

Cheers, Mike

Danke Schon unclemat - appreciate the assist! Part number's would be a huge assit as I could then simply phone a local Subi parts dealership. Cheers, Mike

Cheers, Mike

Ok, so I checked JDM parts.

Indeed the rear RUBBER SEAT has different part # between JDM Outbacks and JDM Legacies. The part # is 20375AE011. It is JDM only part. The top hat itself (metal mount) is the same for both Outback and Legacy for either JDM or USDM, so you can resuse your stock ones.

Bottom line is - you need to source two of these seats it seems for the rears.

For the fronts, as it was mentioned previously you need the Bilstein specific top hats and dust caps - part # 20320AG01A and 20326AG000, respectively.

(see, I am nice to Outback owners, out of pity for their horrendous suspension :lol::lol:;) )

Edited by unclemat